Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. pekkal

pekkal n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello from Finland! My first post to the forum.

This is my 2002 TransAlp in its current form. Built a tank under the seat and got rid of everything I did not like. Extended and re-valved rear shock, exhaust from a CRF, custom crash bars, Hella 90mm H7 headlights and lot of other stuff. Lot less heavy than stock. Still no "690" but a lot of fun to ride!

[​IMG]

The bike in "Touring" configuration with stock tank, custom fairing and a huge wind screen (on a 3500km trip in northern Scandinavia):
    [​IMG]

Rear and stock tank combined give about 600km's of range.

Pekka
    BOBaloo22, GSPD750, PerGrus and 5 others like this.
  2. iamdorus

iamdorus Lurker

Oddometer:
    Pretty rad bike, I like to modular approach you have given the bike.
  3. Local Machine

Local Machine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it, it looks "angry" enough!
  4. Fiftyfatponies

Fiftyfatponies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool bike, underseat tank is on my list.
  5. pekkal

pekkal n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliments. A bit too angry maybe. I'm planning to add a bit of color to the bike. But since I suck at painting anything it is just rattle-can black at the moment.

I originally got the bike for just one road trip. That was ~36000km's ago. Now I think I modified it too much to be able to sell it forward. :lol3
    lithodave likes this.
  6. aKorn

aKorn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rubber gasket that goes around the headlight is falling apart on my 89 600. Has anyone found a suitable replacement material? Thanks in advance.
  7. fivemilepoint

fivemilepoint Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Closed cell foam weather stripping is what I have used. It has been a while but I seem to remember splitting it in half to build up an edge to mimic the original.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  8. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can somebody explain to me for what is this white container under fuel tank please? It’s only connected 2 times to air box. When I remove it what will happen? I want modified air box and filter. I want use original air box as tool box.
    Thanks

IMG_7593.JPG
  10. Fliegenfischer

Fliegenfischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it is an "Helmholtz Resonator" for to kill noise. You can remove it.
    benedikt.m likes this.
  11. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Noise ?? Really ?? While it might serve for that, it seems unlikely that Honda would go to all the trouble to engineer this and alter all their assembly builds to accommodate it. The 89 and 90 models in the Stated do not have this.

I would not describe the TA intake tract as "noisy" since it's so long and convoluted.

I'd rather think its purpose is to even out intake air pulses into the carbs for better fuel efficiency to meet emissions regs or maybe even a bit more power.

As the early TA's didn't have it I don't think you'd suffer that much by removing it - and - if you're thinking about removing the original air box, you will already be thinking about some rather extensive air filter mods.

Maybe the top mounted air filter from the 650 cc TA would fit in that space ??
    locorider likes this.
  12. Skyliner

Skyliner Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it also adds volume to the air intake chamber and helps with the air pulses to the carburetors. If you do take it out be sure to plug the hole with something.
  13. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that white box its connected near front carb intake. i will understand it will feed front carb with more air. but its connected only with very tiny hose from other side of air tunel. its not possible feed it with enough air cross that tiny hose.
    650 air box will not fit into 600 frame. problem is its narrow frame and cross tube between side frame tubes- which is between air tunel above carbs and that white reservoir. i cutted one 650 airbox already and can not fit into my 600 frame. that is reason iam thinking use oiled foam filter and disconnect air tunel from airbox. i want put foam filter over air tunel.
    sorry if i cant explain it better with my english.
    i am looking some filter which will fit. after it i can show how do i want do it and i need try it tune how much air needs cabrs. hope it will woks. after it i will ger room into airbox uder seat and can use it as storage for some tool or tubes.
  14. Fiftyfatponies

Fiftyfatponies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same thoughts. I want to put a gastank under the seat. And i also have a 650 airbox, uncut so far.

The alternatives are to cut off the front part of the 650 box and try to seal it off. Maybe it's too tight anyway. I guess you have tried that.

Another alternative is to cut the top of the 600 tunnel and the bottom of the 650 airbox and screw and seal them together to make one airbox out of two. I might try that, not sure if it can fit under the tank though.

Or you can cut the top of the 600 tunnel and make a completely new airbox to fit a common mx foam filter. Probably a lot of jetting work?

Or have you considered pod filters? It's supposed to be difficult to tune but i have found this company that sell kits for that

https://www.6sigmajetkit.com/jet-kits.html

If anyone has experience with them, please share.
  15. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cut 650 box already. You can see it on pics. But still not fit properly on carbs. Maybe if I left only bottom 650 box will fit between frame. After it need somehow make rest of box. It’s so much work.
    What I’m thinking it’s just disconnect plastic big short hose between tunnel and air box. I have to find correct foam filter and put in on tunnel like sleeve. There is hole already on end of tunnel. Maybe need drill some more holes into tunnel for more air flow. That is my idea and I think easier way do it.
    Or does somebody have better idea and help?
    Thanks

IMG_7639.JPG

IMG_7641.JPG

IMG_7642.JPG
  16. Fliegenfischer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

Son of MotoPolo likes this.
  17. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see more photos on how you attached the metal plate to the plastic Transalp air tube.

Looks like a great idea.
  18. Fliegenfischer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

19. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

The K&Ns don't seem to work very well in my dry west USA/desert environment, but finding a filter should not be too difficult.

I have a spare air tube here somewhere. I think I'll give your idea a try.
  20. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Would you have to take the tank off to change the filter, or would you mod the tank ?