Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Fiftyfatponies

Fiftyfatponies Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    The Twin Air looks good.

And, yeah, I think I'd just take off the tank. I've got the RD04 tank on mine but even then it only takes 30 min. or so to remove it.

Maybe not the perfect set-up but also fairly easy to do at camp even if out on the trail for a week.

Then again - if I built an aluminum tank in place of the air box, I could actually cut up the AT tank to make access. But. somehow the though of welding on a gas tank gets me a mite concerned.
  3. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. It would be fun to make a lower tank (under seat, behind shock). There have been a couple of those done in the past. But I'm not gonna cut up my tank to do it. I've got the time and the tools so who knows...might give it a go some day. Guess I better hurry up and get on it while I still can. :D
  4. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Something like gpmucci did with one of his many AT customs.
    [​IMG]
  5. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Or this one
    [​IMG]
    Squily and MotoPolo like this.
  6. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats 650 TA. i think its easier for air filter mods. frame is different
  7. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
  8. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    2O2BB
    someone mentioned a USD fork tube that fits this triple tree - does anyone have photos for this conversion? Can someone provide OEM model numbers? Are there any real advantages of the USD forks over what you did which has a nice period look? thanks
  10. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    2O2BB
    I LIKE THE LOOK OF THIS - do you have any more info on this bike - maybe a build thread? Now that my AR17 is done I'm itching to modify something and looking at son's TA and wondering what could be.
  11. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    I think some of the XR650L guys are doing the USD fork mods....might get more info there. I wasn't really interested in doing that to my bike.
    MotoPolo likes this.
  12. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    He's an Italian guy (I think) with a nack for aluminum work. He used Africa Twins for a base for his modded bikes. They were/are abundant in his area.... https://advrider.com/f/search/75643197/
    MotoPolo likes this.
  13. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not USD but it is a WP EXTREME on the XRL.With the same mod (KTM triple clamps) i could have done a USD WP .
    I tried it on the 650 but the XR600R forks are matching better on the TA due to the triple clamp offset .
    USD= less unsprung weight.
    Those extreme's are way too heavy...
    [​IMG]
    You can search for CRF forks too.Check the XRV thread.
    MotoPolo and benedikt.m like this.
  14. Fiftyfatponies

Oddometer:
    Apparently the XRL and the Transalp should have identical stem and steering head bearings, so what's done to the XRL should also work on the Transalp. (Not considering fork length, travel, offset etc)

In theory this USD set should work to put a set of crf forks on the transalp.

http://www.rswracing.com/xr650l.htm

Or there is "fork conversion bearing set" to convert from XRL to CRF, using the CRF triples, that should also work on the transalp. But the CRF stem is longer, so there is more work to be done.

https://www.allballsracing.com/forkconversion/

This is all in theory, I have a complete crf front that i will work on during winter.

Just changed tyres on the bike and took the opportunity to weigh the wheels. The front wheel on a 99' with double disks weighs 12kg, just wheel and tyre. While the complete CRF front weighs 17 kg. Including triples, stem, brake caliper. The rear wheel is just terrible...
    MotoPolo likes this.
  15. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you can look in my thread. but i used KTM WP front. just need take off 1mm from bottom triple clamp for bearings
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/rebuild-honda-transalp-600-98.1358675/page-2#post-37031174
    MotoPolo likes this.
  16. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding this week and I discovered my bike is starting very hard. Sometimes engine stop. I did not know what happened. It was suddenly. Was working till now without problems. Today I was looking closely and discover burning regulator connector. It happened last year. I exchanged regulator and connector. I did 10k Km on it and it’s again. While running motor I had 13.2V. I used new regulator today (made in china) and it’s showing now without lights 14V and with lights on 13.9. Is that ok? Does somebody know what can be wrong please? Do I have to check alternator somehow? Or just new better quality regulator will solve it?
    Thanks

IMG_7779.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG
    MotoPolo likes this.
  17. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
  18. Fliegenfischer

Fliegenfischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an other idea to use K&N filters
    20190830_160754[1].jpg
  19. Son of MotoPolo

Son of MotoPolo The mountains are calling...

Oddometer:
    I've heard the TAs are very sensitive to changes to the airbox. Have any of you that've switch to K&N or a modified airbox had any tuning issues?
  20. Fiftyfatponies

Oddometer:
    Son of MotoPolo likes this.