Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i am going to do same.
  2. EDS-TA

EDS-TA EDS-TA

Oddometer:
    hey guys, is there a off the shelf gray paint that matches the 2 side panels by the speedo? thanks
  3. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
  4. Son of MotoPolo

Son of MotoPolo The mountains are calling...

Oddometer:
    So is it just a myth that small changes to the TA breathing system can cause chaos? I swear I read that somewhere in the preceding 1084 pages.....
  5. Son of MotoPolo

Son of MotoPolo The mountains are calling...

Oddometer:
  6. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Santa - what forks/triple tree are these? - thanks
  7. locorider

locorider Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer:
    I think its an oxygen tank to breath underwater...
  8. Fliegenfischer

Fliegenfischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Of course, you have to re-tune the carburetors, changing jets, needels, springs etc. Indeed, a lot of work and nothing for technical greenhorns.
  9. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    And for very little gain.
  10. paquo

paquo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i tried just switching to an aftermarket filter and it threw things off. I richened jets slightly and called it good. I think it might be hard to get more from the 600 motor
  11. Fliegenfischer

Fliegenfischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    maybe, but its relative for what you want to do with the bike, for examble less weight.
  12. TransAfrika

TransAfrika Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, im useing a K&N filter on my Transalp 650.
    i use the bike off and onroad.
    It make no problems so far ( more tan 15k km ), last time i checked the filter everything fine and the air intake of the carbs where clean.
    if your bike dont runs well, I figure out that u have to check the black rubber membrane of the carbs, i had one that where different to the other it was more slacky and so the carbs where bad syncronized. I changed both and the springs, make a new sync and things where fine. Check the choke pistons and cables they make some trouble by the time.

If u have a 650 it can be a good idea to remove the airbypass system that have a vacuumline to a cylinder and air intakes from the filtercase and the valve caps ( dont know the Honda name for this thing ) that made trouble on my bike.

To the fork swap, i have a RD04 fork in the 650 and it is working well, when u use forks from MX bikes think about the wait of the TA it is much more. And i dont want to miss the second disc in the front, a good thing is the AT discs are larger then Ta 650 ones, but caliper are the same so no change needed. Wired brakelines for the 650 fit the AT fork too, no change needed.
  13. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont know of a gray paint for the plastic , might look at the Fusion paints for plastic .
    I do know that the Dupli-Color HWP101 is a perfect match for the silver frame. Hope this might be useful............
  14. Fiftyfatponies

Fiftyfatponies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here i go with the wheels again...
    Is the XR650L an easy fit or does it take a lot if work?
  15. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
  16. Fiftyfatponies

Fiftyfatponies Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. Skyliner

Skyliner Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're already in Europe. You might as well get the proper parts from a later Disc brake Transalp or Africa Twin. The reason we in the USA hack together XR650L parts is because we don't have easy access to the proper parts. You would save a lot of time and money using the Transalp Hub and lacing a XR650L rim and spokes to it.
    2old2Bbold likes this.
  18. TransAfrika

TransAfrika Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings to sweden , i would do same buy a used TA wheel with disc mount and ask a professional for fitting a 18" rim to the hub.
    http://www.africanqueens.de they did same with a AT and the bike is really awesome.

An other point is u still have your original wheel for onroad travel.
  19. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Skyliner

Skyliner Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should try lacing a rim up yourself. It's not magic. I've found that the spokes from a XR400,600,650 will fit a Transalp disc brake hub and a 18 inch rim. I prefer to use heavy duty spokes from Buchanan.com. By the way, the Transalp 600,650,700 rear hubs are all the same except the 700 has a place for ABS. If you use the XR spokes you'll find they are different lengths. The XRs have a small hub on one side and a larger hub on the other side. Use the shorter spoke on the spoke lugs closest to the center of the Transalp hub and the longer spokes on the outside. For the rim you need to watch for the angle of the spoke holes. Most rims are made for dirt bike with small hubs and the Transalp uses a larger hub so the spoke angle needs to be steeper. Pay attention to how it came apart and how it goes back together. Make small adjustments and be patient. If you don't like it, loosen it up and try again. A dial indicator is nice, but you can do the same thing with a piece of wire as a indicator. A good well fitting spoke wrench makes life easier also. If you get it assembled and decide you can't make it true, then you can send it to a professional. You were going to do that anyway.