Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's interesting..... .013" service limit on the Transalp and .0047" service limit on the V-strom.
  2. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    Well I learned last night that getting the choke cable reinstalled is nearly impossible. Unless I'm doing something wrong....
  3. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Chris Kane and PerGrus like this.
  4. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Never understand how/why Honda decides which models to export to what countries. ???
  5. aggrohead

aggrohead Inside Sucks

Oddometer:
    That's the only change I made to the bike from the previous fill, so I am assuming that is definitely what's going on. Unfortunately I can't now test gas mileage with the bags off for a bit because I busted up my ankle trying to climb a hill for a photo. The things I do for instagram...sigh.

45-46 is my normal mileage as well. Are you doing highway speeds in higher heat (85-90f) as well?

Okay, I think wind and speed is where my problems lie. We were riding along the Columbia River for a large portion of the ride, and it gets really really windy down there. The Tiger 800 is a fast bike and the owner definitely likes to use that power.

Has anyone switched out the vacuum petcock for a standard valve style? Would that help getting full use of the fuel capacity?

Thank you to all that answered, puts me a little more at ease that I didn't do damage to the bike or anything. I have never owned a bike that I trusted to go this kind of distance, so this is all new to me.
  6. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    The problem lies more with the design of the tank than the petcock. A significant amount of fuel is "trapped" low on the right side. Any TA owner who's pushed the limits has had to resort to swinging the bike hard over to the left side or even stopping and laying it as low as possible left to get just a little bit more fuel to make it to that next gas station DAMHIK. In addition, the whole reserve/on thing is just a vertical tube with upper and lower openings, if it's close to the bottom of the upper opening and the fuel is sloshing around in the tank, it gets fuel in gulps instead of steady flow. RPMs also have an effect on vacuum.

If the bike is new to you, I would suggest at least a visual inspection down in the tank to make sure there isn't years of crap down in the bottom of that left side. Better would be to drain the tank, and pull and clean both the tank and petcock tube. Keeping a petcock rebuild kit on hand is a good idea as well.
    (examples only, not promoting any specific kit or seller)
    https://www.amazon.com/0105-004-Petcock-Rebuild-Repair-Parts/dp/B07GRF7BXP
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-K-L-FU...89-1990-HONDA-XL-600-V-TRANSALP-/232831098274
    Honda-50 and aggrohead like this.
  7. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    My ‘89TA makes it 125 miles to reserve and it’s my biggest worry on trips. I run with Zega 35l side boxes and a dry bag behind me lengthwise on the seat tail rack. I have a Supertrapp muffler and usually run fast and I might be jetted rich?

The most I’ve ever gone,was reserve at 128 and I then made it to 149.5 by slowing way down and coasting the downhills, it was a major butt clincher! I was up in the middle of NorCal I wrote down in my trip notes. NEVER AGAIN!

Something I found out years ago is that you can’t have a fuel filter in the line between the tank and carbs, it’s mentioned on the German TA site, it will kill mileage the gravity feed won’t handle the filter.

A headwind will KILL mileage I once hit reserve at 100mi running hard up Hwy I 5

I purchased a rubber bladder tank to take on trips but haven’t used it yet. I try to not make it to reserve and short-fill all the time on trips unless I’m sure where fuel is available.
    aggrohead likes this.
  8. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Can't play the miles to reserve with you guys (I get about 210 miles.... big tank and 2 petcocks :D) but the best I can figure mine gets just under 50mpg. I ride conservatively, mostly under 65mph.
    aggrohead likes this.
  9. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    The 89 hawk petcock bolts perfectly to the TA tank.
    As I recall, the hard plastic fuel intake tube on that petcock can be shortened to allow you to set the point in fuel level one goes to reserve.
    I used that setup and set my reserve margin a bit more conservative than stock.

My bike is unfaired and headwinds kill my mpg espically with bags
    Last time I looked at a log, it was about 35 mpg, bags, 75 mph, hot and strong headwinds.
    My modded engine demanded larger jets so that can account for my poorish mpg however I can top 40 mpg just cruising, 50 if staying off the main jet and conditions are just right
    aggrohead and nomiles like this.
  10. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    There is a highway in NV. NV 6 with a sign that says next gas 167 miles. I have made that distance once, ONCE, and I was sloshing the fuel from the right side of my tank to the left side. I was on the shoulder of the road doing a crazy wobble to get to the gas to keep me going. And when I pulled into the station I was pumping my hands up an down and a hootin an a hollering that I made it. Took 3 times on that road to finally make it.
    Magus, aggrohead and nomiles like this.
  11. aggrohead

aggrohead Inside Sucks

Oddometer:
    Okay! so that is like the large baja tank I had on my previous XR650L, I damn near had to lay the bike down completely to get gas onto the other side. Really good to know!

And good call with having a look down into the tank and rebuilding the petcock, bike has 38k on it so I wonder if that has ever been done. I cleaned the tank and petcock on my moped, and I swear I instantly got a 5 mph advantage, so it wasn't getting the fuel it needed. and 5 mph on a 64cc motor is a huge deal!

I have an FMF MegaMax on my bike, which is like a supertrapp disc style exhaust, and I know for a fact that I am running somewhat rich now that I have had someone riding behind me. I definitely need to play with the fueling a bit.

The headwind on that trip was so bad I was tucking behind my windscreen to save my neck, but I didn't care as it was such a beautiful ride.

A fuel bladder is on my wishlist but with all of my camping gear loaded up I don't know where it would go, maybe I can just tie it to the top of my bags.
    DaleE likes this.
  12. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Just gotta get the motor done! IMG_20200701_130651.jpg
    locorider, shaqattack, Magus and 7 others like this.
  13. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Things are looking good IMG_20200706_202128.jpg
    Honda-50, 2old2Bbold and nomiles like this.
  14. Son of MotoPolo

Son of MotoPolo The mountains are calling...

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool to see. I've never seen one stripped down to the individual pieces.
  15. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    Is the vacuum pump on the petcock necessary? Anyone have experience in removing it?
  16. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Without it you just get free flowing fuel which might not make it all the way into the carbs depending on amount in tank, temp, speed, bike angle, etc. Also serves as a safeguard too much fuel getting forced past the carb bowls and into the engine. Some dirt bikes do well without them, so it will work, but also might have issues and you better be good about turning the petcock to off when shutting down.
    Son of MotoPolo likes this.
  17. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    You sure that's a pump and not a valve ?

A bunch of bikes have vacuum operated petcock valves. I've never seen a stock TA petcock but I think it's a on/off valve that turns on the fuel when the motor's running.
  18. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    That’s correct. That is just a diaphragm that opens the petcock when it gets vacuum from the hose coming off the head. If that hose cracks while riding the engine performance goes to Hell. Happened to me on a trip, patched it with tape then got some Vacuum hose at an auto parts.

** You can defeat the vacuum valve by pulling the cover off and putting the spring on the other side, but the valve will be ON constantly.
    apexapex likes this.
  19. lsafric

lsafric n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello guys, here is really good Transalp Rally modification from one my customer :-) 78fb71c9-a970-4db9-949b-94a6cfc602e9.jpg 74a9c3fe-3bff-442a-b59f-f3e395702838.jpg 4faaf9a6-7973-446e-abcb-7b4bad5e359c.jpg 2b856d04-fbab-4c70-ad84-f806c9d4f446.jpg 77eb1524-70cd-412c-9305-5678c6f72244.jpg
    Fubars, locorider, PerGrus and 6 others like this.
  20. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Nice work. :clap
    ANKOF likes this.