Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Speedebump

Speedebump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes...I have noticed the same phenomenon with my ST. I think especially when it knows that it's going to get worked on, like putting a dog in a bath tub. I love that bike too, took it to White sands, Carlsbad Caverns, and Death Valley this year. Terrific for road miles.
    The Tiger is really fun too, although a bit on the finicky side.
  2. Speedebump

Speedebump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another small issue I'm having is remembering the technique for setting up the throttle and cables. I took mine apart, cleaned the cables, housing and grip, and replaced the cable guide in the grip body, but now it's badly binding and I don't remember how to fix that.
    Can you guys help me with this?
  3. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff. Still got the Transalp, KTM450 and a FZ1 I haven't ridden in 6 years. :lol3
    That throttle tube is a little fiddly. The white plastic part is the problem. It goes in just one way. Wish I could help. Always takes me several tries. I think I used a XR650L throttle tube last time.
    You might check the NC700X forks for that washer. I sold my TA forks to a guy with a NX700X. They might be the same size???

Just got back from a week of dirt bike riding in the mountains of New Mexico. Great fun !!!
    [​IMG]

This crew totals 231 years. :D We've been riding together 48 years.[​IMG]
    Speedebump and backroadbender like this.
  4. apexapex

apexapex n00b

Oddometer:
    Harz_2020_20200906_180320.jpg
    Hi guys and dolls,

thought I'd share my ongoing "very adequately handling" hack with you all.
    Pictured in the Harz, Germany, my 1999 XL600V Transalp.

-wheels 1992 CBR600F2, all new bearings, sized to fit the standard Alp axles,
    front wheel brake disc mounting faces DIY milled down to get the discs to fit between the Alp fork legs
    -front dual 4-pot Nissin calipers with DIY milled adapters and Nissin pump 2005 CBR600RR
    -Michelin Pilot Power 120/70-17 and 160/60-17
    -Hyperpro springs front and aft, hydraulic preload adjuster on rebuilt standard Alp shock
    -Renthal chainwheel and Road High bar
    -HEL brakelines
    -DIY dash/headlight mount in old school rally look with 200 mm H4 headlight from scrapped old Yam
    -headers ABP-racing stainless (needing rewrap...) with FUEL can, dB killer mounted
    -widened, hightened and stiffened seat, custom mod by Jungbluth Sitzbaenke
    -ss rallypegs by Bosley's Pegs CZ
    -DIY bigfoot side stand, curve friendly

To do list: engine/headers bashplate
    also working on custom Honda "wing" logo to stick onto DIY hammered alu rad shields

Grtz,
    Jeroen, NL.
    manx16, Honda-50 and 2old2Bbold like this.
  5. apexapex

apexapex n00b

Oddometer:
    maybe a tad late.... It looks like a GOFFI fiberglass windscreen.
  6. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    Could you explain how you got that brake system on there? That's friggin awesome.
  7. apexapex

apexapex n00b

Oddometer:
    DIY milled mirrored adapters out of blocks of Aluminium EL AW 6082 T6 (or alu 51st, old name in NL), hell of a job on old manually controlled milling machine@work
    Clem Kevin and nomiles like this.
  8. ALP15

ALP15 n00b

Oddometer:
    I need a new rim for a 1990 Honda transalp. The current rim is a 1.85 width. I have heard it may be better to jump up to 2.15 rim. What are the pros and cons of this? Will a 2.15 width cause tire clearance issues with the stock fender? Can it improve ride and stability. What are the general differences
  9. ALP15

ALP15 n00b

Oddometer:
  10. ALP15

ALP15 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just read about that in Gummycarbs stir... i seem to remember that the original maker whom Jim worked for has them again. May be Letica pr something like that
  11. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    If anyone can provide a contact or website where info on this is available, consider me interested.
  12. Clem Kevin

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to figure out how to get a NT650 caliper onto a CRF450 fork.
  13. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    The Lenac brake bracket is the number one greatest improvement you can do to a ‘89 ‘90 TA.
    The braking is immensely better! Hope you can find one.
    FD4A3AAA-7722-437B-8A3E-6D629FBF2C7D.jpeg 91342C3B-667A-4602-BDB1-FF292E19DF58.jpeg
  14. Leaper42

Leaper42 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

New user here with a fairly recently purchased XL600V '96. Can you guys help me source new bushings for the upper bridge (the ones the handlebar mounts go into)? Apparently the bushings were never available as a Honda OEM part and the entire bridge is no longer available as new. My rubber bushings are very worn, even more so after a recent fall, the entire handlebar flexes a lot and is visibly crooked due to bad rubber bushings. Or do you have any alternative options, perhaps going solid?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

15. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    I added 1 washer to the top and 2 to the bottom, I don't remember the size, to make the clamps a solid mount.
    Leaper42 likes this.
  16. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Change the post above.
    Found my old post.
    Leaper42 likes this.
  17. dusantomic

dusantomic n00b

Oddometer:
    I need a bit of your expertise, i have '89 alp with drum at the back and was thinking of upgrading to disk.
    Currently there is one offer of 2001 650cc, but i have no idea if parts will fit and which parts do i need.

I know i need at least a wheel (is the tire same size, can i use my tire, same question goes for rear sprocket as mine is new), i need brake caliper and disk and pipign and cylinder which i would need to weld to my frame.
    Do I need anything else, like brake pedal, etc?

Thanks
  18. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Probably need brake pedal and swing arm and hose ??? Basically everything from the motor back.
  19. dusantomic

dusantomic n00b

Oddometer:
    So i :
    1. 650 swingarm - saw on forum here it wont fit, but 90-91 disk 600 will :(
    2. 650 wheel with disk
    3. 650 caliper, brake hose, pedal
    is this bolt on, i understand i will weld rear cylinder to the frame, any other mod i need to d0
  20. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Some of you Euro guys are going to have to jump in here. We didn't get the 650 in the USA.

My "89 TA has Africa Twin RD03 swing arm and Kawasaki KLR650 rear wheel and brake with XR650 520 chain and sprockets.:dunno

[​IMG]