Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After crash bars, the best option for off road use

Attached Files:

2. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Headlight protection is cheap and useful

Attached Files:

3. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
  4. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks for thinking of me. That is one WAY overpriced TA. :eek1 Having owned one now for awhile and having friends with them... I have found this to be true... there is a buyer for anything. :deal I don't like the idea of buying a motorcycle on ebay or overpaying for one. WHAM! WHAM! :baldy

I'm a sap. I'll abmit it. :uhhuh My idea of buying a moto is from a person who really wants it to go to a good home. We all want our beloved machines to live a happy life! :lol3

All in fun,
    Michael
    '89 TA (and looking for another TA)
    Van., WA USA

PS You know that if that ebay TA was only at $1000... I'd buy it! :lol3
  5. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I always hated how the prev owner wired in that BMW plug. It was snipped into some factory wires. Who knows what the F those are for! :lol3 So, I had a couple hours and wired in a small harness from the battery. Power (fused 15amp) goes to the switch (20amp triple sealed) and then goes to both the BMW plug and the standard sig plug. The switch cuts the power to both plugs and can remain on even if the bike is off. Grounds run from the battery to both plugs (a good solid ground is most important). It works perfect! :thumb I can run my eTrex plug in the standard (eTrex plug has a volt thingy in it that takes it from the 6V to 12V) plug and still have a plug for heated gear (some day) or whatever. YEA FOR ME! :rofl

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

6. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Let me take this time to welcome myself to this prestigious club :flug

Hmm... maybe I should just get a damn job! :lol3

I've got nothing to add to the TransAlp mod Thread tonight. I just wanted my 100th post to be all about the TransAlp! :beer

My beloved 1989 Honda TransAlp V-Twin 600cc 450lb of dual sport pig! :ricky

May my next 100 posts be filled with as many TransAlp stuffed Threads as I can cram into them. :type

Cheers to all,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

7. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    This is a major cut down Gustoffson (spell?)... it's much like a Rifle. Very tall with no real curve in it. Mine got a big ass crack when a Chevy Subdivision threw a rock up at me! :eek1 Holy shit! It was a hard hit! :eek1

Anyway, I cut it below the crack line and this is what's left of it. It's actually nice to ride with as the air hits the chest and helmet. No buffeting, but no real protection either. Speeds over 75 mph get to be work for any period of time. I think it's a great screen for off-road as it's not going to get in the way and probably won't get broken. :thumb

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TransAlp (and looking for another TransAlp)
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

8. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    OK I was bored last night so I started grinding away one of the screens I had bought used from a friend. I have yet to find a screen that makes me happy! :lol3 I figured that I'd just give the screen more lean (so the air flow justs gets my helmet and not my chest so much) and remove some the sides (so the guards don't hit it). I used my Milwaukee grinder (got to love this thing!) and drilled two new side holes for the bolts. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it'll be good... hmm... I hope it is! :evil I don't usually make a habit of grinding perfectly good TA bits. :lol3

Attached Files:

9. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I also spaced out the lower part of the screen. It might help with any pressure building behind it by allowing a small amount of air flow to pass under. Hmm... I'm not sure, but it appears many screens are using this idea.

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA
  10. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    Modrover, if these screen mods don't work to your satisfaction, check out the National "Cheeta" Screen for 'alp. They have a more vertical component and this seems to work better than the swept back styles. As I get to it I may also try the front venting you are exerimenting with, as I do get just a bit of buffeting at helmet top. I think these national screens are still available from MAW (motorcycle accessory warehouse) for only $50-$60.
  11. transalper

transalper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you using the stock handlebars? I put Renthal Desert bars on my NX and the Acerbis handgaurds clear the screen because the bars are wider. The are also taller and sweep back more than typical off-road bars. I love 'em on the NX and am gonna get one for the TA eventually.
  12. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    wpbarlow - who makes that headlamp guard? Any ideas on where to buy one? How does it attach? Does it just snap on to the sides of the lens or do you have to drill/screw something? I think it's a good item!

arroyoshark - I went to the web page, but there is no photo aval. for the "cheeta." Any ideas on seeing one of those in a photo someplace?

Transalper - Renthal bars are nice! I'll swap mine out when they get damaged or something. Lucky guy... TA and an NX!

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA
  13. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    I really don't know who makes it; but Aeroflow ( http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/headlightcovers.htm ) makes a different kind that should work with a little trimming.

Not2fast may know who makes it, as it was on the bike when I bought it from him.

regards,
  14. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    It would appear to be a standard size lens so it shouldn't be difficult to find. I'll see what those guys have and then maybe check at my local Cycle Gear as they stock general items like that. :nod Funny, I've thought about the lens getting cracked, but never thought to try and prevent it. I've installed similar factory covers on the lower lights on Range Rovers while working, but never thought about that type working for bikes. I've also installed Stone Guards on Rovers (my '65 Landy has them) with good results. I think I'd rather have a removable cover like the one you have. Those expensive clear stickers can sometimes be more trouble than they're worth. :lol3

Thank you,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA
  15. arroyoshark

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of "Cheeta" windscreen....
  16. arroyoshark

Oddometer:
    oops, try again.......

Attached Files:

17. arroyoshark

Oddometer:
    Here's another view. BTW, I also used a plexiglass, or some such, headlight protector. I found a pair of them at gas station in Yukon several years ago, but think I've also seen them at auto parts stores like Pep Boys or Auto Zone.

Attached Files:

18. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Not a bad looking screen. How does it work for you? More protection than stock, but what about the buffeting?

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA
  19. arroyoshark

Oddometer:
    It was a vast improvement over both the original screen and the clearview. I'm 5' 11" and I get a lot of frontal protection with this screen because it is a bit wider at top than those screens. Chest an shoulders protected from air flow, but arms are not. I get a bit of buffeting at very top of helmet. I am able to ride around with either open face or MX style helmet and sunglasses without discomfort. The clear view and OEM sent air right into my face.
  20. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Hey, the Cheeta looks the biz! I bet it functions like you say. It's very hard finding something that works for YOU! :nod

Here's me on my TA today. My wife took this as I was heading out. Note the angle of the screen. I beleave this screen was an early Clearview (with no curves), but not anymore!!! :lol3 I took the old grinder to it and really increased the angle and some of the sides. Now, the air flow hits my whole helmet, but not my chest. I really like how it works for me as I'm not getting the BRAIN shake from the buffeting like before! WOO HOO!!! :evil

I have found that the more direct flow at my helmet the better. I'd rather get a few more bugs and rain on my helmet screen than have my head put thru the blender! :lol3 Anyway, it works for now. I'm sure I'll want something different later... :rofl

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files: