Show us your vintage MX/enduro gear, waxed cotton, leather tool bags, boots, helmets, etc, etc

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, May 12, 2017.

1. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So as the title says, the idea here is to post photos of your vintage MX and/or enduro gear and other items that might be of interest to the vintage dirt bike community.

Items to post include but are not limited to,

- Jerseys
    - Leathers, especially leather leathers
    - Boots
    - Helmets
    - Enduro jackets
    - Anything waxed cotton (jackets, pants or whatever)
    - Kidney belts
    - Vintage stickers
    - Patches
    - Tool bags
    - Tool kits
    - Enduro route and card holders or other special gear
    - Anything Jofa or from behind the iron curtain
    - Vintage shoulder pads or other safety gear
    - Goggles
    - Posters
    - Bike trailers, bumper racks, motocrossin hippie vans (especially if including your dirt biking hippie self)
    - Pre 1980 Xrays of your broken bones or of the ambulance you rode in or the nurse who took care of you.

Or whatever else that you think might fit in. Items should generally be pre-84 (ie, pre drum brake) or so. None of that Crayola crayon crap they sell today.

Maybe some quality replica stuff if you tell us where to get it and if it really looks like something you could wear on you vintage dirt bike racer!

If you want to post yourself wearing the stuff, all the better! And if you can, tell us what you know about it, where did you get it, how long have you had it, does it still fit (Ok, that's optional :-) )

Repeats are fine. Everyone has their own rips, tears and stories to tell. If you repaired your vintage gear to make it usable again, tell us about it.

Here are some Yamaha Jerseys I've posted in the YZ thread to get started with. How many remember these babies?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of those of above are Malcolm Smith. There was another common brand to that I cant remember. The one with the bar across is the same as one I had in 1976. Unfortunately none of the truly vintage ones I have fit me as I have become too bulked up with muscle.

Then there are these classics from the Yamaha dealer...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chippie on the other hand has caught the keen eye of John Penton while modeling this red one I picked up off the bay some years ago. Even though it is a size large, I've found yesterdays large is not quite the same as today's.

[​IMG]

Show us what you got!
  2. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This should be interesting.
    spokester and FJ_Kevin like this.
  3. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a teaser from my stash. This came off the fence at the USGP in Carlsbad around 75-76 if my memory is correct. A long time ago.

[​IMG]
    spokester, AlpinaE24, dpforth and 2 others like this.
  4. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb I had a Bel-Ray banner from the 1980 USGP at Carlsbad.
    spokester, FJ_Kevin and Scootern29 like this.
  5. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    I like that.

I know you have some cool stuff, haha...
    can only imagine!
  6. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    This is a Malcolm Smith leather tool bag that mounts on the rear fender / fender loop.

[​IMG]

Here is the underside.

[​IMG]

You can see the leather laces that you are supposed yo tie it down with. I wonder how many were lost on the trail.

Here is another view.

[​IMG]

I've been saving this for when I come across an old penton or husqvarna in isdt trim. I do have a PE175 stashed away. Maybe it will wind up on that!
    spokester, dpforth and Scootern29 like this.
  7. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, jumping into this now since I have a little bit of time.

A jersey from the shop who sponsored me with parts in the 80's.

[​IMG]

This jersey is circa 1970ish. It is from the mother land and not American made. It was found in the rafters in a box from the shop above who gave it to me. Check out the spelling. It now resides in Tom Whites (White Bros Fame) museum.

[​IMG]

This jersey is from 1974 from the shop in town when we raced Puch's.

[​IMG]

This shirt is one of the last two in existence that are brand new from the last race at the legendary Deadmans Point in California. It' s only about an hour from my house. Rocket Rex Staten owned the place racing and owns the facility the last I know of.

[​IMG]

More to come
  8. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's some Maico stuff for you Kevin.

This jersey is an original Wheelsmith Maico circa 74ish. It also resides in Tom Whites museum. He didn't have one so I donated it.

[​IMG]

Complimentary Wheelsmith decal.

[​IMG]
    FJ_Kevin, spokester and dpforth like this.
  9. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These banners are from the Czech republic. I am gonna guess late 60's early 70's. The Joel Robert one is pretty common. The Paul Friedrichs from what I have been told by some folks over there is very rare and many have not been seen. These reside in my collection under lock and key.

[​IMG]

The back side.

[​IMG]

These decals are from the 70's. They probably wouldn't stick now but.....hey....they're cool.

[​IMG]

More coming.
  10. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A CZ sign, 14" diameter. It's in the man cave.

[​IMG]

A license frame I restored from the 70's. It resides on the front of my F150.

[​IMG]

A couple of Jofa mouth guards. The one on the right I bought in.......1971ish. You can see the chunk out of it from a rock. The other one is brand new and never been worn.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned.
    spokester, FJ_Kevin and dpforth like this.
  11. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These 2 pics are hot hats from the last race at Deadmans Point here in Komifornia. Hot hats were a craze back then. This one has never been worn and was one of the last two new ones from the man who had them made. I'm very happy to have this in my collection to compliment the last race T-shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Malcom Smith enduro jacket....which I am going to say late 70's early 80's. I've had it a long time. My mom sewed the Hilltoppers decal on it when I was in the club. I can't get this thing on if I tried. It's a size Medium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This wind breaker is the real deal. HRC (Honda) from Japan. Not the cheap ass American/Chinese copies that anyone can buy. It's a treasure.

[​IMG]

More to come. Hopefully someone else will post in this thread. I dig seeing old stuff.
  12. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Fun thread, great stuff from Scootern especially. Don't you have a pair of Carrera goggles to go with the Jofa mouthguards?

Who originated this style of gloves? These are knock-offs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Hi-Point boots were one of the best Christmas presents a teenager ever got!
    [​IMG]

Genuine Belstaff 'Accessory Pouch' (?) classing up my repro Trialmaster
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately my original Barbour International Trials (another great gift, thanks Dad) disappeared after going moldy so I make do with this completely adequate repro:
    [​IMG]

I wish I could show a pic of my Hondaline Marty Smith-style jersey but it went missing somewhere along the way :^(
  13. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb I had a pair of Carrera goggles , those type of gloves AND Hi-Point boots. :lol3
    FJ_Kevin and dpforth like this.
  14. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great post dpforth. Keep the pics coming, and to answer you question....I don't have any of those goggles. I think they were called model 94.
    spokester and FJ_Kevin like this.
  15. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay,Kevin said posters and other stuff so here go's....... some more.

USGP 1973 Program

[​IMG]

The first CZ World Championship in 1981

[​IMG]

This is one I helped sponsor with Curnutt stuff.

[​IMG]

Just to add this..... It's a pic of Larry Berquist at the Mint 400 back in the day that I acquired from an old desert racer named Jim Dorman. I sent this to Larry's son and got this back signed. I really love sharing cool shit. If you look over his shoulder and around you can see some of the legends of desert racing in the pic.

[​IMG]
  16. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Man, you guys are kicking butt!

I have some comments to make but have to run off right now. Great job dpforth! And Scootern, I just don't know what to say dude! Talk about flying out of the gate! You'll be lapping the field at this rate!
    Scootern29 likes this.
  17. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kevin. I want to see some more stuff members have. I have plenty more. I hoard stuff.... why.... I don't know. I can't remember what I had for dinner but I can pretty much remember dirt bike stuff. My wife thinks I am an idiot savant, me I think I am just an idiot. LOL.
  18. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These may fit. A few of the autographed dollar bills I have.

Left to right, row by row.

[​IMG]

Tom White: National # 80 AMA dirt track, Owner of White Brothers from back in the day
    Rocket Rex Staten: You know who he is. My wife grew up with Rex and her cousin was Rex's best friend till he passed away.
    Heinz Kinigadner: 1984-85 World 250cc World Champion on a KTM.
    Bob Sandgren: Member of my club the Hilltoppers MC. He won the famous Catalina Grand Prix in 1957-58. The only two time winner. He was the Grand Marshal when it was last ran in 2010. The perpetual trophy resides in the HTMC clubhouse.
    Rick Sieman: You know him. Super Hunky....journalist
    Red Ludford: 4th original member of the legendary Checkers MC which would be around 1945.

I spent a weekend with Bob S and Red out in the desert (early 2000's) for an afternoon being their beer caddy. There were some tall tales thrown about. Red passed away a number of years ago in his 90's. Bob is still with us and must be close to 90 years young.
  19. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    One fringe benefit of going through the old stuff for me: it's great to see things not made in China. Those were the days.
    JCool and FJ_Kevin like this.
  20. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of my old gear that I still have (for some unknown reason) including: Full Bore Boots (Pre- High Point), Open face Bell helmet from the 1978 Baja 500 with the Tech Inspection sticker, Barbour Jacket I got back in 1971 with old school Husqvarna patch.

[​IMG]