Show us your vintage MX/enduro gear, waxed cotton, leather tool bags, boots, helmets, etc, etc

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, May 12, 2017.

1. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post up some more SB. I know you have to have some cool stuff.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some old school patches from Baja & the Mint 400 (back when bikes raced the Mint 400):

[​IMG]
  3. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad I threw away a lot of my old riding gear from the 70's a few years ago. My old leather motocross boots were as hard as diamonds, and interestingly the fabric on some garments had shrunk over the years. The same shrinking was observed in my old windsurfing wetsuit; I know it wasn't me getting larger... :D
  4. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I seem to have hoarding tendencies also. My daughter says if I am not careful I will wind up on TV one day.
  5. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    That's some good $hit there! I like the Norton too! The full bores, did they come out of the same factory as the later Hipoints? I have some later Barbours Ill have to post.

Very nice!
    Strong Bad likes this.
  6. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    When men where men!
    Strong Bad likes this.
  7. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Great post!

I don't know who came up with those gloves but yes, I wore a few pair back in the early 70s. Your kidney belt looks to be in good shape. I have a few variations but not sure with the Malcolm Smith tag. Great boots, those look very early aluminum plate versions. I think WFOPete has a pair, with the box even. I like the Hipoints with the leather straps like yours. They moved to plastic straps later on. There are a couple of versions of these. The plastic straps crack over time it seems and replacements are not so easy to find.

I am jealous of your jacket pouch for sure. Wish I had that.

Ive got a Vintage Speedwear jacket as well. They seem closely modeled on the Belstaff jacket rather than the Barbour. I agree that it is a good jacket especially for the price. I think they tend to run a little small. My Barbour has more room in the shoulders and arms.
    Great MotoGuzzi patch,

Here is my '70 Ambassador while sporting a Barbour International and Hipoints! Visor is a Paulson Motopeak and gloves are JT I might add.

[​IMG]
    dpforth likes this.
  8. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Thanks! The Norton is an ongoing project, not to restore but make a daily driver around town. Yes, the Full Bore boots were imported & distributed by Yankee who also had the Ossa deal along with Full Bore oil. Later with other Highpoint products and Penton's involvement the brand Full Bore was replaced with the Highpoint brand name. I'm sure some East Coast enduro guys who know the Penton story better would have details I may hav screwed up!
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  9. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Indeed!!! Here is a pic of my dad standing next to fellow rider George Curry where the Mint 400 patch came from. This was back when the race was held out at the Mint Hotel Gun Club. The starting line was out on all of the broken clays. The bike was a Trackmaster framed Yamaha DT-1. Notice the old school desert front wheel set up using a 450/19 wheel tire!

[​IMG]

George's riding gear was a set of leather weldor's sleeves, Levis with knee pads and lineman boots
    spokester and dpforth like this.
  10. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Cool photo and cool bike! I see the clips on the fork wipers, cerriani forks? Desert racers were tough! Suzuki is running a hooker chamber and what looks like koni shocks out back, trick!

Thanks for posting!
    Strong Bad likes this.
  11. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Found this ad in my December 1972 cycle guide. It is a Simon Says Gold Belt Advertisement

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The ad caught my eye as it features a very early version with the twin stiffening bars vertical instead of in the vee configuration.
    I have one like it. It has "The Gold Belt" logo plus Dave Ekins signature (and Bud Ekins brother). I have never seen one like it and am thinking even Scott does not have one of these, haha :-).

Found this cool site about the Ekin brothers (here)

Iam guessing that you need to wear this model if riding a 72 or 73 Husqvarna.

[​IMG]

Here is a three vertical bar model that I still wear today mainly because it is in the classic configuration and color. These were in use from mid 70s into the 80s (see Hannah photos below).

[​IMG]

This black one is more recent. It has three vertical and two in the vee. Five bars total. I use this one after a big lunch. :-)

[​IMG]

Here they are, all three together.

[​IMG]

Next is another well worn "The Original Gold Belt" along with a competitor called Bold Belt!.
    This Gold Belt is similar to the black one in configuration but in a yellowish color and with a different logo.

I actually have two Bold Belts (will look for the other). This one is not as wide or tall as the Gold Belts and the Velcro section alternate if you compare against the Gold Belt. The bars are in a double Vee or is that a W?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, Hannah with a five bar version!

[​IMG]

Kent sporting a two bar vee?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Five bar style definitely in play for the water cooled era!

[​IMG]
    spokester, Strong Bad and dpforth like this.
  12. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's ever been used. For some reason it sat in a box in the shop with the also new pouch for about 30 years until I pulled the pouch out to install it on the new jacket. You're right about the Vintage Speedwear jacket being small. I got the largest size and it fits perfectly other than being snug across the shoulders. But I'm only 5'8"!
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  13. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone remember the extra pouch they made for the Gold Belt to hold your wallet and car keys? I had one once.
  14. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

No, don't remember this. So where is it now?

Nowadays it is the cell phone I'd like to have in case I fall off while I'm by myself!
    spokester likes this.
  15. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used it independently of the belt as a tool bag. The tools eventually wore through it :(
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  16. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

These were the hot ticket in the 70s. Lot of the euro stars wore them. I think they came in after those bib jobs and before the jt and fox stuff came out. I had a similar set, a bit shorter and less plastic on front.

Not much venting.
  17. mordellio

mordellio n00b

Oddometer:
    Jofa was started in Malung, Sweden in 1926. They were big on icehockey gear. Bought by Reebok in 2004 and now the Jofa brand is gone.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  18. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    This is blue Bell Moto 3 helmet very similar to the white one I used to have. I think they were introduced in about 1975 and believe you could still buy them into the early 80s when the moto 4 was introduced. This was pretty much the top motocross helmet and came with snell approval, considered to be the "gold standard" in safety standards.

[​IMG]

I purchased my original white helmet in 1979 to replace my Bell Magnum after landing on top of a guy who had fallen on the other side of a jump. I think I was only wearing goggles at the time and so wound up breaking a tooth in half after eating my handlebar.

I also split my lip to the point where you could see the inside of my mouth if you pulled the skin apart where the split was. Even though the dentist patched up the tooth, and the lip healed OK, it was not an ordeal I wanted to repeat!

Anyway, I liked the moto 3 and had it for along time before pitching it when I pulled it out of storage one day and found the interior had disintegrated. Should have saved it of course because even crummy ones bring good money now on the bay.

A long time later I bought a moto 9 or something after getting into this vintage stuff. But I didn't really like it as I thought the jaw stuck out way to far, much further than the moto 3. Why they do this I don't know as it seems like it increases the leverage and torque the jaw could apply to your neck.

Many of the newer helmets are similar in this regard plus they have those weird visors and goofy paint schemes that just don't look right when racing vintage bikes.

Eventually I came across a very pristine Bell Moto 5. This was a nice helmet and the jaw didnt stick out so far. Not as nice as the 3 but pretty good. The moto 5 is shown below on the left, looks good on the yz's and it490!

[​IMG]

But of course this is still an old helmet and there has been a lot in the news about concussions and head injuries and cumulative effects and such.

I admit that this is somewhat of a concern as I can probably count at least four concussions in my past (how about you!) and do misplace my keys and glasses from time to time.

So that bring us to the helmet on the right in the above photo. What looks like Bell Moto of some sort is a Snell approved $100 HJC. I slapped Bell stickers on it and added snaps so I could run a vintage Paulson motopeak visor. I also jazzed it up a bit with yellow and blue tape. They come solid white new. I think it looks fairly vintage mated with the paulson visor.

This is a nice helmet and the one I use in competition. The jaw sticks out further than the moto 5 but less than the moto 9. I use it because it is new but I still like the moto 5 better and would use that one if it wasn't so old.

I also like open face helmets with a jofa mouth guards scoff face mask. This one is another HJC with a nice yellow jofa to match the yellow Paulson visor. The air ports are appropriate but otherwise I really like this setup.

[​IMG]

Ive been using this helmet combination a lot while riding at the farm but I think I would still go for a full coverage for racing.
    It is pretty cool and comfortable and great vintage look also.

[​IMG]

And so this brings me to the new release Bell Moto 3. Yes, Bell reintroduced the moto 3 in 2016.
    Like many others, I've has my eye on this for quite awhile but just didn't feel like shelling out the $350 they wanted for one.
    Well that has changed as I have just noticed that most vendors now have them for $279, 20% ($70) off.

Not cheap but not unreasonable either, especially for what was my favorite helmet.

So the bottom line is I think I will be ordering one in the next couple of days. Color wise I will probably go for white again.
    If I only had YZ's though, Id go for that snazzy yellow!

[​IMG]
  19. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Every time I try to count I lose track and have to start over again :lol2 My last one was a road racing incident, pretty bad (but not my worst) and when I couldn't remember things like how many kids we had it scared my wife. She said if I kept racing she'd leave. I sure do miss her.

Just kidding. I realized that after about half a dozen concussions she was probably right. With the links to Alzheimer's and the NFL issues it's pretty scary stuff.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  20. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Does this count?

IMG_5478.JPG

A buddy got his copy before I did and drove me nuts telling me the secret to winning was in there but refusing to tell me what it was.

The secret... "don't follow".
    FJ_Kevin likes this.