Sichuan - The Breath Taking Jiuzhai

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by franki, May 26, 2008.

1. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    An opportunity arises when the Chinese bike manufacturer Jialing organised a ride for the new owners of their JH600 & JH600B(sidecar) taking delivery at the end of April. I was invited to ride with them. I never refuse an offer like that:evil

The 5 day tour started from Jialing factory in Chongqing, passing Mianyang and head for the famous attraction of Jiuzhai and Huang long and then return back to Mianyang and ended back in Jialing factory. New owners will have a choice of riding their new bikes home or factory will crate them and ship the bike home.

Due to work commitment, I arrived Chongqing late in the afternoon. The new owners have gone on a familiarization ride of their new steed. So I settle down in Jialing's own hotel and wait for the dinner bell:D

It was nice to meet old friends and introduced to new friends at the dinner party
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Deputy General Manager, Mr. Wu gave a welcome speech to the bikers and hosted the dinner. Note there is no alchole on the table as we plan to leave early the next day morning.:1drink
  2. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    A breifing seccession was given right after the dinner about the route of the tour and general maintainance of the JH600

[​IMG]
    Road captain, Wang Hao gave tipps on riding technics as most Chinese bikers have little experience in riding bikes bigger than 250cc.
    [​IMG]
    The JH600 mechanic, Mr. Zhou gave maintenance tipps to new owners.
    [​IMG]
    Another late comer from Beijing took delivery of his new JH600 and was briefed by the technician.
    [​IMG]
  3. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Morning call was arranged at 6am and breakfast at 6:30am. By 7am all riders and support vehicles have gathered at the parking lot of Jialing Hotel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is where we had lunch on way to Mianyang
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    We arrived Mianyang in the late afternoon. Only 330km covered because we ride slowly for the new owner to get used to the bikes and traffic conditions in Sichuan. An early rest again as we need to depart for Huang long 5am in the morning. Here is a pic of the road to Huang long
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After parked our bikes at Huang long, we took a cable car up the top of the mountain (+4000m)
    [​IMG]

The youngest lad in our group (a GP125 racer) couldn't handle the rapid change of altitude and had a bloodly nose. We all agreed it must have been the beautiful Tibetian girls at the cable car station.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Road to the summit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    We accented from 345m to 4000m in one day. Some of the team member showed signs of high altitude sickness
    [​IMG]
    Better call our support team to bring him down....:huh
    [​IMG]
    This is our support team member:eek1 trying to catch his breath:lol3
    [​IMG]
    This Tibetan girl was shy to have her picture taken, so I have to make her smile:ricky
  8. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]As we depart Huang long late afternoon the sky darkened and rain started to come down. We carried on over the mountain pass heading towards Jiuzhai but the rain had turned into snow/rain at 4016m. With bad road condition and steep curvy roads, we had to ride at 40-50km speed. Our ETA could be midnight. Since a few members already developed high altitude sickness, we decided to cut the journey short and stayed in a hotel 80km down the road. The next morning the rain is less and safer to ride in daylight, we carried on to Jiuzhai.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jiuzhai national park is off limit to all vehicles. We can only take their bus inside the park or walk. The rain stopped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    Beautiful :clap
  10. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl The Eternal NooB

Oddometer:
    That's such a beautiful part of the province. You think the same roads are still passable today?

And look at you and your big ol' monkey lips trying to accost that innocent young Tibetan girl! Fresh!

Some of them are very beautiful though!

CC
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful ride!! Thanks for the report and pics :thumb
  12. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    High altitude eh! We,ll have to start a Coca tea exportation business to China:wink:
    Great report can,t wait for more!
    Albert theturtleshead
    in the high Andes
  13. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    gorgeous pics - tell us more about the bikes and sidecars!
  14. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    At this moment, according to tour organisers, the area is off limit for 2 years. However, small groups such as bikers may pass through after the releif work has been settled.

The Tibetan girl was very tense in front of the camera, so I pretend to kiss her just to break the ice. The result speaks for itself:augie
  15. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
  16. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Once inside the park, there are 2 tour routes serviced by park buses. I took one bus to the very end and started to back track, some on foot and some by bus. The entrance ticket covers the bus fare so you can take at your choice.
    Enjoying the peace and smell of the forest
    [​IMG]
    Wooden board walk to stop the tourists from destroying the vegetations
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    The park reminds me of Yellow Stone Park in Montana only a bit more closely packed. There are no bufferlos but there are Tibetan Yaks.
    [​IMG]
    The Tibetan tribal people were given the opportunaties to turn into tourist guides, shopkeepers etc. when the government made this place the national park. Their villages are still inside the park and some still choose to be farmers. Here is a group of ladies mending their souvernir shops.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    Franki you dog !!!!! Here I have just come back from a failed trip to the Chinese consulate trying to get a visa to come back to China. Turns out now they want a round trip air ticket to be shown prior to issuing a visa, as well as reservation confirmations at all hotels........Hmmmm. That does not really fit in with my style of travel. Am feeling sort of blue , and then I turn my computer to see more of your stunning pictures of China. Now I am really feeling blue. I thought you were my friend ????:deal Are you on the road right now?
  19. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey BB, how are you doing? I heard from David of GT Rider that you are still hanging arround CNX. Life must be good there:freaky

Sorry about the visa thing. Must be the Olympic thing....
    Well, to make you feel better, the US consulate rejected my visa application in 2006 stating that I have some trouble with the law enforcement agency there:eek1 Turns out they stepped up security after 911 and may be my name is similar to Bin Ladin:rofl I got my visa more than a month later. So keep trying buddy. Or if you make a trip to HK, you can get a visa here within 24 hours.

I did plan to tour western Sichuan in June where a Tibetan girl I met last time promised to take me to her family. I would love to stay in a Tibetan's family to truely feel their way of life. But the May 12 rumble sort of killed my plan. I am now trying to get back in as an volunteer to help out the people there but I have not been accepted yet.:cry

If you ever ride into China in July, please be reminded there is a biker's party July 18 weekend somewhere near Wuzhou, Guangxi province. I will be there.
  20. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Franki,

Great pictures and ride report as always. I'm going to hide in your luggage so I can finally make it to some of these incredible rides you go on.:D

CrazyCarl and I should be touring now, but between the Tibet issue and the earthquake, it seems like someone doesn't want us on the road. Guess I will just have to make do with touring around the south this summer.

Just a little addition on the current Visa situation for foreigners coming to China. (Things have changed drastically in the last 2 months)

1. L (tourist) visas require documents showing your "outbound and return flight booking and stamped (chopped) hotel reservation for the complete duration of stay. If staying at a relative's house, proof of kinship (marriage / birth certificate) and copies of his/her passport, visa, residence permit and police registration need to be provided."

2. F (business) visas require "flight booking, stamped (chopped) hotel reservation and original invitation letter from a relevant department of the Chinese government, company or institution, under the authorization of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China."

3. L and F visas are being issued as single entry 30 day visas unless "your flight bookings (e.g. to Hong Kong) are provided to prove double entry is needed. "To obtain a visa for a longer duration, a full travel itinerary needs to be provided. The visa application form has been changed to a much more detailed version."

4. F visa extensions "in China are only possible until June 30th, 2008."

5. Hong Kong is no longer much of a solution as "the Visa office in Hong Kong requests all foreign passport holders that do not have a Hong Kong residence permit to apply for visas in their respective home country" and "Visa applications in other Asian countries seem to be just as difficult." "A list of 33 countries whose nationals need to apply for visa in their respective home country has been published; however, restrictions also seem to apply to other nationals."

6. Z visas(work) "have not been affected by the new policies."

7. "The authorities are increasingly tracking down foreigners without valid visas and Registrations of Temporary Residence. Foreigners overstaying their visas are charged any where between RMB 500 to RMB 5,000/day. According to multiple reports, foreigners without a valid visa must expect to be awarded the red “has to leave China within ten days” stamp in their passport, which will make it nearly impossible to apply for a new visa."

Thanks for sharing the ride report and hope to see you on the road this summer.

Cheers!
    ChinaV