1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Side panels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by de Kaminski, Jul 8, 2007.

1. de Kaminski

de Kaminski Cosmonaut

Oddometer:
    Hiya
    I have a problem with my sidepanels on my GSX400E. The sticks that you nail the sidepanel into the frame have snaped off. It's plastic and it's essential that i get it fixed. Witch type of glue should I use to stick the stick back?

I have tried with epoxy, it didnĀ“t last. Should i try with superfast glue like Attack? I know i should clean the pieces but should i rub with sandpaper?

plz help me, my bike is falling apart and the electronics are vulnerable to the rain :cry
  2. Bill Shanks

Bill Shanks Stumbler

Oddometer:
    Aerostich sells a book on how to repair plastic. It seems to be an arcane art form.

I have tried several adhesives with little success. What I did was to drill holes in the panels and use tie wraps to hold them on. Ugly. Effective. But, it's a KLR and I'm cheap.:D
  3. de Kaminski

de Kaminski Cosmonaut

Oddometer:
    Man, I don't like plastics. And I'm not gonna drill..that gonna look even worse than without the panel :1drink
  4. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago I stuck the nubs back onto my GSXR's sidepanels using superglue and baking soda. Pool the glue, add baking soda, adjust the slurry with a toothpick, let cure. Do it outside and don't let the probably deadly toxic vapor get in your eyes!
    This repaired the nubs on my bike for good- the repair looked iffy but was on the backside of the panel and went another 35000 miles without failing.
  5. de Kaminski

de Kaminski Cosmonaut

Oddometer:
    Interesting! I was thinking of using fibreglas(?) as reinforcement with Epoxy. Does the bakingsoda works as reinforcement also?
  6. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cyananoacrylate glue (AKA super glue, crazy glue, etc.) reacts with the baking soda and bonds to the plastic- it forms an ugly, crusty mass that can sort of be sculpted for a few seconds. It's been years, but I recall gluing the stud back to the panel with superglue, then soaking the surrounding base of the stud and sprinkling in the baking soda until I had formed a supporting fillet- adding enough glue to maintain a pasty consistency. It reacts quickly and cures fast- so you need to mix as you go.

I learned this tick from my RC airplane buddies who used it to fix small plastic bits on their planes.

Perhaps a better but more troublesome fix is to locate someone with a plastic welder who can repair the stud- the glue/baking soda method is cheap and very shade tree, but it can work very well- just be careful of the fumes.

The trouble with fiberglass and epoxy is that it doesn't bond well to the plastic and will eventually fail. Sanding the surface will help to make a bond but the plastic will flex and expand enough to work the epoxy loose in time.
  7. de Kaminski

de Kaminski Cosmonaut

Oddometer:
    I give you thanks a thousand times, I was just about to buy epoxy in desperation :rolleyes

Im sure I can find a wellsorted gluebutique.
  8. Nabucco

Nabucco Enfant Terrible

Oddometer:
    Cut some fiberglass strips and drape them over the base of the knobs and panel. This will pretty much guarantee you a lasting solution. Worked for me. I used a basic fiberglass kit that can be found in any auto parts shop.
  9. de Kaminski

de Kaminski Cosmonaut

Oddometer:
    The job is done. A workshop got it fixed for ca 25 dollar. It was a good price for the job, now the pegs will stay. :freaky