Side stand length on standard vs. lowered R1250GS (question to all)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by cug, Jul 30, 2020.

1. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

quick question into the room here: I was wondering why my standard GS is leaning over so far when on the side stand and out of curiosity measured the length of the side stand on my bike, which is a standard, in comparison to the one on my wife's bike, which is lowered.

The length from just under the mounting bushing in a straight line to the tip of the "plate" (for lack of a better word) is exactly the same: 30.5cm (12 inches). They are also in exactly the same position behind the foot peg mount when retracted.

Now, the parts fiche shows that there are three different part numbers for side stands: for lowered, standard, and sport suspension.

I'm wondering whether people could measure the side stand length and post it here with the information what suspension they have (GS, GS Sport, GS Lowered, GSA).

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm trying to figure out whether my bike or her bike has the wrong side stand. There used to be part (?) numbers underneath, but they are unfortunately not legible anymore.
  2. cug

Oddometer:
    IMG_3342.jpeg
  3. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Compulsive Spender

Oddometer:
    2018 GS Adventure factory lowered. 11" IMG_4867.jpg
  4. cug

Oddometer:
    Mine to the estimated point you hold the tape measure is about 29cm => 11.4 inches. Interesting.
  5. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
    ‘19 1250 GS HP w/Sport Suspension

CF4F5621-C8B2-4B68-AF96-D5999A45F916.jpeg
  6. cug

Oddometer:
  7. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    2019 R1250GS HP with Sport Suspension.
    grab419.jpg grab420.jpg
  8. cug

Oddometer:
    So far it looks like the high suspension models are around the 13" mark, while we have varying results for the low suspension model (11" vs 11.5").

Anybody with standard height GS who can contribute more data?
  9. Oilchange

Oilchange n00b

Oddometer:
    As an aside, the motorrad site "build your own" section states that the lowered version is supposed to come with shorter side stands AND shorter center stands. So it might be interesting to know what the center stand measurements are as well.
  10. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just over 28cm on my Standard GS 2018 so just over 11" (measured at the same points a JPCollinsworth above)
  11. sizzlingbadger

Oddometer:
    The difference in lengths looks to be visible fairly clearly here... CF4F5621-C8B2-4B68-AF96-D5999A45F916.jpeg
  12. cug

Oddometer:
    Did you post the same photo twice? Looks about the same.

And this is really interesting now – shorter than the anything we have heard before, even lowered suspension models. Mine was 29 to this point, my initial measurement was to the "tip" of the foot, but this new is better since it works with side stand "enlargers" as well.

Do you feel your bike leans over excessively? I run mine in "Auto" suspension, and feel that it's leaning over too far, especially when it's packed with heavy luggage.
  13. sizzlingbadger

Oddometer:
    Not sure why it posted twice. The point I was making is you can see where the stands are longer fairly easily if you look at those parts highlighted in red and compare the other photos. My bike is leaning fine, I use Auto height too.
  14. cug

Oddometer:
    While I now understand what you meant, I still don't have enough data on what people have on the standard R1250GS. As said, my wife's lowered and my normal height GS have the same length side stand, even though there are three different part numbers for the three different height GS models.
    sizzlingbadger likes this.
  15. sizzlingbadger

Oddometer:
    Maybe the later Dynamic ESA bikes with auto levelling only use two different stands/part numbers ?
  16. cug

Oddometer:
    Don't think so, it would be mentioned in the parts lists.
  17. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Per parts fiche, there are 3 different p#s for side stands (this is for '19-'20 R1250GS - haven't checked GSA): std height, low suspension and sport suspension... As it should be...

[​IMG]

ETA: GSA side stands are ...117 (same as GS low) and ...526 (same as GS w sport susp) which also makes sense...

Hope the side-stand mystery is now resolved... :D
    sizzlingbadger likes this.
  18. cug

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it’s not resolved. Either our low or our standard GS has the wrong side stand. They are exactly the same length.
  19. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    ^ Is there any way you can see any p#s to help w which is right? If not entire p#, then maybe last 3-6 digits?

Or, maybe head back to the dealer if close by and try some of the other GSs for lean angle thus determine which side stand should be installed? Chances are probably that std height GS has low side-stand...

All being black and virtually same shape, there's potential for mix-up in Berlin...
  20. cug

Oddometer:
    That’s what I figured. Unfortunately the number is “conveniently” under the foot. So, there is nothing legible anymore.