Sidecar Training Question

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by PhoenixGirl63, Jun 13, 2019.

1. captainmike

captainmike n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Go look online for the United Sidecar Association. The 'yellow book' (it has a yellow cover) was written, as I recall, by David Hough. It's probably the best book for the DIY would-be sidecar pilot. But I still strongly recommend taking a sidecar-specific course. Years of motorcycle (two-wheel) experience will be largely unnecessary with a rig. Mike
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  2. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just now stumbled onto this thread. Too busy riding among other things.

@PhoenixGirl63 sidecar.com is the website of the United Sidecar Association. There is also another book called Riding with a Sidecar by Hal Kendall. I have been riding sidecars since the mid 1980's and would be happy to discuss and/or look at your rig sometime.

I am also a certified MSF RiderCoach and also teach MSF 3WBRC (3 wheel CanAm/trike). I can tell you there are some things in the class that would help a novice sidecar pilot, and several differences between a sidecar and trike that are not taught in the 3WBRC class.

I used to belong the USCA many years ago and was heavily involved with them. Northern Illinois University used to have sidecar training, but I have been out of that loop so long, I have no idea anymore.

Maybe you have your rig sorted out by now.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ @PhoenixGirl63 ^^^^^ Central Indiana is pretty close! Sounds like a great excuse for an ovdrnight trip to Indy. :thumb
  4. ScottMastrocinque

ScottMastrocinque n00b

Oddometer:

Wow. Regardless of your intentions, I’m stunned at your presumption and interference. You’re going to call the owner and have a polite conversation with him? I hope he put you in your place. I sure would have.
  5. ScottMastrocinque

ScottMastrocinque n00b

Oddometer:
    Good God! Not only are you a busy body who butts into other’s private affairs, you’re a shit-pot stirrer as well. Are you this toxic in real life as well? I’m glad I don’t know you or live anywhere near you.
  6. ScottMastrocinque

ScottMastrocinque n00b

Oddometer:
    As a motorcycle rider for almost 50 years, an expert mechanic, and a current experienced owner of a 2017 Ural Gear Up 2WD rig, which has been setup by Jon at Heindl, I can assure you that Ural rigs do not remain dead neutral in handling. You can get them ‘close” but never truly neutral. Not ever.

There are 3 wheels touching the ground, in different angles to each other, different thrust and drag vectors on the bike from various parts and accessories, and the factory steering dampener is worthless. Slight tire pressure differences can result in pronounced handling differences. Riding a Ural is an exercise in being fully aware of the rig, and what inputs you are putting into the bike, and how she is responding to these inputs. No two Urals drive exactly the same.

If the original poster would like to have a conversation about her needs and concerns, I welcome and invite her to PM me. I would be glad to help her out. However, continued bashing of the dealer is something that I will not support or partake in. Others here have some outrageous ideas of what is and what is not. It’s staggering.

When I was at my BMW motorcycle dealership, it didn’t matter if you paid cash or financed, or whatever, all customers were treated the same. To dealers, all deals are cash deals - cash from the customer, cash from the bank, cash from factory financing. The dealer gets paid in full immediately, regardless. However, becoming adversarial, or allowing or encouraging another disinterested party to enter in-between the dealer and the customer relationship, is just being a douche and it exacerbates the situation and hinders a timely and positive solution.

Niceness counts and will get you where you want to get to much easier and with better results than being a jerk about things. Why some people default to asshole mode befuddles me. It rarely gets you where you want to go.

So...

If I can be of help or answer your questions, please PM me and I will gladly provide you with my contact info.

Best Wishes,

Scott
    brstar likes this.