Sidecar Training Question

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by PhoenixGirl63, Jun 13, 2019.

1. captainmike

captainmike n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Go look online for the United Sidecar Association. The 'yellow book' (it has a yellow cover) was written, as I recall, by David Hough. It's probably the best book for the DIY would-be sidecar pilot. But I still strongly recommend taking a sidecar-specific course. Years of motorcycle (two-wheel) experience will be largely unnecessary with a rig. Mike
    PhoenixGirl63 and rg sw wa. like this.
  2. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just now stumbled onto this thread. Too busy riding among other things.

@PhoenixGirl63 sidecar.com is the website of the United Sidecar Association. There is also another book called Riding with a Sidecar by Hal Kendall. I have been riding sidecars since the mid 1980's and would be happy to discuss and/or look at your rig sometime.

I am also a certified MSF RiderCoach and also teach MSF 3WBRC (3 wheel CanAm/trike). I can tell you there are some things in the class that would help a novice sidecar pilot, and several differences between a sidecar and trike that are not taught in the 3WBRC class.

I used to belong the USCA many years ago and was heavily involved with them. Northern Illinois University used to have sidecar training, but I have been out of that loop so long, I have no idea anymore.

Maybe you have your rig sorted out by now.
    Malamute, PhoenixGirl63 and rg sw wa. like this.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ @PhoenixGirl63 ^^^^^ Central Indiana is pretty close! Sounds like a great excuse for an ovdrnight trip to Indy. :thumb
  4. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice ( yep used that word)
    to see positive progress.
    Hopefully you will feel comfortable with riding (piloting) your rig given the flimsiest excuses to do so very soon.
  5. PhoenixGirl63

PhoenixGirl63 Wayward Daughter Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had a great morning at the dog park. Thanks to all of the kind and generous guys on this thread who took the time to provide constructive and helpful advice. I appreciate it very much!

The rig is better and I’m grateful for the small, family owned shop who took the time to care for my concerns, as a customer, and adjusted everything until I saw it was better. I’ll ride the rig through the fall and decide next spring if any other after market steering dampeners (I hear a guy over on Soviet Steeds has one for offer) are needed.

Attached Files:

6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The Girl from Phoenix has 63 likes -- just in this thread.

Of course, she did cheat a little by posting not one but TWO pictures of her puppy.

IndyFace1.jpg

That's her dog ^^^. By coincidence, here's my dog Lena ---->

DRONE19.JPG
  7. PhoenixGirl63

PhoenixGirl63 Wayward Daughter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your pups are SO sweet! Indy and Lena could be siblings.
    rg sw wa., Flyin' Monkeys and DRONE like this.
  8. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
  9. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
  10. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Let's try to keep this civil, please.

@PhoenixGirl63 having ridden (quite aggressively at times) a Ural - albeit an older one - there are a couple of things I learned that seemed to help.

Keep your elbows up. As someone mentioned here you have to *steer* the rig as opposed to leaning. It will only turn as far as your arms allow. With your arms/elbows down that means it will turn until your elbow hits your side. In a 'situation' it is as if the steering is locked and you're going to cross the line on a very gentle righthander and hit the oncoming van. DAMHIK. Sounds obvious but it's something I became very aware of when riding it at a good pace. As they sid at the track days "practice doesn't make perfect - practice makes permanent".

The only comparison I could ever make it to was riding an old (early 70s) snowmobile which required a great deal of body language to steer. Rides like nothing else.

It's been a while but I don't recall it ever *not* pulling one way or the other depending on acceleration. That seemed to be the way of every Ural I rode and others that rode mine didn't seem to think it was out of alignment or anything was not set up properly. Not suggesting a throttle lock - particularly to a brand new sidecar rider - but when you say yours does not track straight is this with the throttle 'locked' or steady?

Regardless, fun rigs. Hope you and your dog get to the point where you can really enjoy it.
    rg sw wa., BJMoose and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  11. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    BTW We have our sidecar training program still in the works. Hopefully this will get off the ground next year. With workload and two surgeries this summer things got a little off track.
    This will be sidecars only ( no trikes nor can am's) . Plans are for a three day course with a bonus day for those who want it. The bonus day will be open to all of course but is there for those who feel they want more time in specific areas or on the course. The atmosphesre will be rally like with a meal provided. Campgrounds in the area are onboard and motels are available or you can stay over here with us if desired.
    This is not related to any program out there today. It will have classroom sessions pertaining to sidecar setup, operation and theory. This covers sidecar setup and design with a rig indoors as a show and tell class. Should be fun and informative at the same time.
    Training rigs based on KLR650's will be provided . You can also use your own outfit after a safety inspection.
    We may eventually offer special classes related to off road sidecaring and camping. This was suggested to me by the late Ramey Stroud who said he would like to be involved. Sadly Coach Ramey passed away March 1st of this year quite unexpectably. The motocycle world lost a great man there. RIP Coach Ramey.
    Classes will be held in Central Pennsylvania although travel is a possibility later on.
    Anyhow.....stay tuned and we will see how things go for next year. Should be a fun and informative time. Sidecarology is for you. :-)
  12. ak74

ak74 hooligan

Oddometer:
    Because I'd ridden solo bikes for many years, I decided to take a class BEFORE I made the decision to even buy a sidecar outfit. I wanted to make sure I had the aptitude and interest and make sure it didn't feel too weird. I took the Evergreen sidecar/trike program in Blacksburg VA. I just didn't do any of the trike stuff. Haven't looked back.
    rg sw wa., BJMoose, Bar None and 2 others like this.
  13. dnunley

dnunley veni,vidi,vici

Oddometer:
    Throw in my 2 cents as I also am the new owner of a 2019 Ural GU - No class offered in California, so I took the S/TEP class in Idaho before purchase, and considered it quite valuable. Set-up of a sidecar rig is everything, and not always straightforward. I bought mine from the most experienced dealer on the West Coast who did a great job making the final fine adjustments to keep it tracking straight under neutral throttle; I rode it around for 3 days before riding it home to get things sorted out, have the first service done and get used to the rig which is obviously different from the 250cc Suzuki in the class.
    rg sw wa., Bar None and Bobmws like this.
  14. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    Speaking of STE/P classes, there are a few seats open at Danville Community College , Danville, Va, for this weekend. It will be a 3 wheel class with trikes, reverse trikes and sidecars. The instructor, Mark McFaddin, lives and breaths sidecars. I think that he may even dream about them.
    rg sw wa. and Bar None like this.
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Wait. Are you saying there are some people who DON'T dream about sidecars?

Huh. :twitch
  16. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Met Mark McFadden years ago when the USCA Rally was in Buena Vista,,, yes quite a guy. Glad he is still involved down there.
    PhoenixGirl63, rg sw wa. and Ridn3 like this.
  17. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Learned everything I know from reading the forum and the Yellow book (which by the way is available from DMC).

Yes, I'm still trying to figure it all out, never stop learning.
    rg sw wa., Strong Bad and Bar None like this.
  18. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    Flyin' Monkeys and rg sw wa. like this.