Sidecars- Lets see em.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by England-Kev, Nov 14, 2007.

1. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Now hurry and run off the road and get that excitement over with! Then you can relax and enjoy:lol2
    rg sw wa., Flyin' Monkeys and brstar like this.
  2. mr.spui

mr.spui Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 1952 KMZ M-72 was an evolved M-72 (with numerous upgrades) derived from the 1941 production run of the BMW R71. It did not replace the TIZ-AM-600 as the production stopped during the war. It did not replace the PMZ-A-750 as the TIZ-AM-600 replaced it. The Soviet plans for motorcycle production are well known and laid out as follows:

Resolution CC of the CPSU (b) and the USSR SNK "On the development of motorcycle production in the USSR"

N 456-189ss on March 4, 1941.

To ensure the need for motorcycles as a national economy (industrial and rural), as well as the army, aviation (airfields) and communications, the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR and the Central Committee of the CPSU (B) DECREE:

1 . Accept for production the following types of motorcycles:

a) motorcycle M-72 with a sidecar (type BMW-750) with a maximum engine power of 22 hp;
    b) motorcycle IZh-12 without a sidecar with a maximum engine power of 13.5 hp

2 . Establish a plan for the production of motorcycles for 1941 in the number of 50 thousand pieces and for 1942 100 thousand pieces.

3 . To assign the production of the adopted types of motorcycles to the following plants:

a) Taganrog Plant No. 65 of the People's Commissariat of Air Supply (director Agapov) with a capacity of 15,000 motorcycles of the M-72 type, ensuring the commissioning of the “M” workshop by 1.7.41 and the completion of the construction of the remaining motorcycle shops at the specified capacity in the third quarter of 1942 To start the production of heavy motorcycles at the plant No. 65 from August 1941, stopping the production of AM-600 motorcycles from the 4th quarter of 1941;
    b) The Leningrad Motorcycle Plant (director Comrade Soloviev) with a capacity of 15,000 M-72 motorcycles, ensuring the reconstruction of the plant for this capacity in the first quarter of 1942. Start the production of the M-72 motorcycles at the Leningrad plant from June 1941, stopping the assembly of motorcycles L-8 from 1.4.1941;
    v) Kharkov plant "Sickle and Hammer" (director Comrade Palevsky), equipping it for the capacity of 50 thousand motorcycles M-72 and 125 thousand sidecars. Start the production of M-72 motorcycles at the Kharkov plant from June 1941 and stop production of agricultural machines and railway platforms from 1.4.1941;
    g) a new motorcycle factory in Penza with the capacity of 15 thousand motorcycles M-72 and the release in 1942 of 2 thousand motorcycles;
    d) Serpukhov Plant (director Kuroptev) with a capacity of 10 thousand motorcycles IZH-12, ensuring the completion of the reconstruction of the plant at full capacity in the 3rd quarter of 1942. Start the production of motorcycles IZh-12 at the Serpukhov plant from December 1, 1941, Motorcycle L-8 from December 1941;
    (e) Izhevsk Plant (director Dubovaya) with a capacity of 10 thousand motorcycles IZH-12, ensuring the completion of the reconstruction of the plant at full capacity in the 1st quarter of 1942. Start the production of motorcycles IZH-12 at the Izhevsk plant from May 1941, stopping the production of motorcycles IZH-9 since July 1941;
    zh) Moscow bicycle factory (director of the Kochedykov plant), equipping it for a capacity of 30 thousand motorcycles M-72. Start the production of M-72 motorcycles at the Moscow plant from June 1941, stopping the production of bicycles and spare parts for them from 1.4.1941.

4 . To approve the program for the production of motorcycles for 1941 by types in the following quantities:

a) motorcycle M-72 with sidecar - 30.5 thousand pieces
    b) motorcycles with sidecar at the plant number 65 - 7,5 thousand pieces including AM-600 - 6,0 thousand pieces
    v) motorcycles IZH-12 without sidecar - 5.1 thousand pieces d)motorbikes L-8 without a sidecar - 3.9 thousand pieces
    d) motorcycles IZH-9 without sidecar - 3.0 thousand pieces

Secretary of the Central Committee of the CPSU (b) I. Stalin

Chairman of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR V. Molotov
    rg sw wa., brstar and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  3. T-C

T-C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First ride yesterday.. went better than i expected. Few laps of carpark at local school then 20klms around the quiet streets near home. 60kph and got into 4th gear. Outfit rode really well and no surprises. Lefthanders going to take some getting used to. 99060929_674716899775058_977281037535019008_n.jpg
    Strong Bad, Doc., squizzy and 18 others like this.
  4. hack2004

hack2004 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1975 R90100 with 72 Ural- had this since 1983. Lowered sidecar frame, upgraded R90 to R100 specs, dual plugs, K75 front Brembos, 15" Michleins rims all around, led lights everywhere, 400 watt alternator, GS oil cooler, 9 gallon Heinrich, Unit leading links, sidecar disk and trim mechanism. A pleasure to drive Bob's sidecar  1.jpg
  5. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I must have unintentionally touched a nerve or something. Let me simplify my logic a bit.

I bought an old Dnepr. I wanted to make it look old, so I did.

Great history there. You should take the knowledge and update the Wiki pages addressing Dnepr M-72 production history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnepr_M-72
  6. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I like everything about that! Sweet. :thumb
  7. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Why? no puddle of oil underneath it? :evil

Joking aside, that is a very beautiful outfit.
    draperg1 and brstar like this.
  9. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    ^perhaps it has all leaked out?
    Yeah I like it too.
    draperg1 likes this.
  10. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What chair is this?
    draperg1 and Prmurat like this.
  11. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    That is a real beauty. Nice to see Chris is still turning out such great machines.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
  13. txndncowboy

txndncowboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was hoping I could put one on my Indian Roadmaster but the link does look promising for Indians. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but we got hit by a double barrel twister. I'm still only partially dug out from all the damage but just too tired to continue. So needed a break.
    [​IMG]

A fireman from town just 2.5 miles away got this photo and it's almost right where we live.
  14. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Wow. Hope you and yours are safe.
  15. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode through Greensborough in Kansas some years ago.
    It had all but been blown off the map a year or to before by a twister a mile and a quarter wide.
    It's an amazing hazard to have to have to live with.
    Even if it's a rare thing to actually experience.
    Hope it goes well for you getting things sorted again.
    txndncowboy and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  16. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stopped for gas in Greensburg in 2009 . There were some gas pumps , but , no building except for a small shed. About the time I was going to try my card a guy came out of the shed.
    He told me they moved most of the public buildings to different positions in town. He said they were about to move the well when someone mentioned it hadn't been damaged and worked pretty good where it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Would be keen to know more about your rig, have you got a build thread? Or any details on it?
  18. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was early April 2009 I think.
    So we were in the same town the same year.
    We fueled up there also but there was what looked like a prefab building with a small shop etc beside the pumps.
    Was about 48f and little wife was freezing.
    She popped her wheat bag in their microwave (like a hot water bottle)
    Then put it inside her jacket for warmth.
    Ok enough thread highjacking.
    rg sw wa. and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  19. T-C

T-C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No mate i don't. I only bought it a while ago. Got it from the original owner who had the sidecar fitted. Bloke called Gnome built the subframe and body.
    rg sw wa., Flyin' Monkeys and Bobmws like this.
  20. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A Texas chair snuggled up to A BMW-C , like they were made for each other.
    [​IMG]

And one on a Majesty.
    Both of these were at the Harvest Festival in Luckenbach , If you're ever in Texas when it's going on , it's well worth checking out.
    Bobmws, brstar and claude stanley like this.