Sidestand switch mod

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Louge, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    I removed my sidestand switch to mod it today.
  2. Louge

Oddometer:
    It plugs in here.
  3. Louge

Oddometer:
    Its sealed on the switch side but open at the top. Thats some of the Monocacy River on the floor. :lol3
  4. Louge

Oddometer:
    I soldered black and green together, brown has no connection on the other side of the harness.
  5. Louge

Oddometer:
    Self vulcanizing tape was applied over the area.

One less thing to break out in BFE :thumb
  6. Pointman0853

Pointman0853 Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer:
    One less thing to break out in BFE :thumb[/quote]

Please send us pictures... when you take off and forget you left it down.
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
    Pointman
  7. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please send us pictures... when you take off and forget you left it down.
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
    Pointman[/QUOTE]

Like so many things in bikes this is just a generational concern. I never had a sidestand switch or clutch switch as I was being weened on motorcycles. I take mine off as well. When I purchased my LC4 in 2001 I had to take mine off while standing in a creek since it shorted out and the bike would not start. Our society is way over the top with safety issues. If it happens once in a generational lifetime we have to eliminate it no matter how inconvenient it is to the rest of the population.
  8. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I haven't ridden off with my sidestand down yet, but anything's possible!:rofl

What did happen to me on the Buell- riding along in the fast lane at night, car to the right of me as I'm overtaking it. All of a sudden, there is a five-gallon bucket in the middle of the lane :eek1 !!! I swerve as quickly as possible, miss the bucket (I thought) and the bike dies :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 !!!!! All this at 80 or so, buddy right behind on his Buell. I dove for the side of the freeway, trying to restart, soiling my shorts on the way. I get to the side of the road, park the bike, except the stand is most of the way down. WTF??? I figured out, the bucket hit the end of the stand, which rebounded off the rubber and part way down, killing the bike. Lifted the stand, lit the bike off and motored home, to remove the switch and clean my shorts.
  9. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the interesting question: what might have happened if the bike didn't die and you kept riding without knowing your stand was down? Perhaps a big freakin' red "kickstand down" light in the middle of the dash would be the best solution.
  10. arjay

arjay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best case...nothing, worst case sparks. I don't need the light. Would rather have one telling me I'd forgotten my wallet, or an a$$hole alert or something. The sidestand light is about as useful as a seatbelt light right next to it would be. I've never had such a thing on any of my bikes in over 40 years; well, many of them didn't even have a kickstand, but those that did didn't have a light to tell me it was down. Actually, one or two had sidestands, but no spring to hold it up, so I used pieces of old inner tube to make bungees to tie the stand up with. I never rode off with my forks locked either; not too far anyway. Although, embarassingly, I still forget to turn the fuel valve on. And did you know, it's somehow possible to ride 3.5 miles with a sweatshirt on the luggage rack that I'd forgotten to tie down? Go figure!? There shoulda been a light for that.

Anyhow, great post Louge...thanks!
  11. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Couple of things. First, I"ve done it on bikes before we had nanny switches like the sidestand switches. No biggie - there was a bump and then the stand retracted on its own. Older BMW's had self retracting stands which I liked, but other didn't.

Then I have to wonder at your laughing at the possiblity that he'd do it and in your mind he'd be hurt. What's funny?

BTW, there is a real reason to do it and here is the laugh on you. If you launch, the stand may deploy slighty thus cutting the engine whilst you are airborne. That is a lot more damaging than if you ride off with the stand deployed.

How'd you like someone to laugh after that occured to you and you lay there broken?
  12. Louge

Oddometer:
    I had two sidestand switches fail on my Mille; the first due to a poor plastic pin design that sheared, the second become intermittent after riding through rain an hour earlier.

I know of a Mille pilot who had a very serious off at the track. He was cranked over on a puck and hit a bump. The ignition chopped then caught him out in a bad highside. They were able to replicate the failure with an ohmeter.

Showing the switch in the 'up' position overides the clutch switch logic.
  13. arjay

arjay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya buddy! Again, appreciate your time and info Louge.
  14. TrasktoDakar

TrasktoDakar Gone to the dark side/KTM

Oddometer:
    RIGHT and I never left my turn signal on! It's OK to bump the kick stand back. It gives your buddy's something to laugh about. Have you ever fallen down? I did once but that was back when the bikes only had one wheel and it was made of stone. Then there was the time ..... Oh crap it's time for my medicine.
  15. arjay

arjay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did someone say medicine?:1drink
  16. Gregorius

Gregorius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had one of those in my accessory pack when I got my LC4 400E... couldn't figure for the life of me what it was! That said, I managed without it for this long. Can't say the same for my TRX850 though - had an issue with a dodgy side-stand switch so I bypassed it (as you do) and within two days had had one of the scariest moments in my biking history when I pulled away from the house. Big deal? I should co-co!! Slight right hand bend let me get to 40ish, then I tried to negotiate the following left hand bend and couldn't understand why there was this horrible grating noise and I couldn't turn. Fukkin panic stations as I was heading into a neigbour's front garden at speed with both feet down and the front brake almost locked... I stopped with about 3 yards to spare.

I fixed the switch properly after that...

I haven't disengaged the switch on my 950S

Greg
  17. Pointman0853

Oddometer:
    Like so many things in bikes this is just a generational concern. I never had a sidestand switch or clutch switch as I was being weened on motorcycles. I take mine off as well. When I purchased my LC4 in 2001 I had to take mine off while standing in a creek since it shorted out and the bike would not start. Our society is way over the top with safety issues. If it happens once in a generational lifetime we have to eliminate it no matter how inconvenient it is to the rest of the population.[/quote]

My original post was in jest of coure, but I'm pleased as punch however that I did manage to get someones g-stringin a wad over it. :clap

Seriously, I'm wondering the value of a sidestand on a bike with a great centerstand. Wonder how much weight we'd drop my removing it completely, switch assy. included... Of course if it was needed to change tyre, you'd be SOL...:cry

Pointman
  18. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTESeriously, I'm wondering the value of a sidestand on a bike with a great centerstand. Wonder how much weight we'd drop my removing it completely, switch assy. included... Of course if it was needed to change tyre, you'd be SOL...:cry
    ][/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing untill I tried getting off a loaded bike with rear bag, and tried to lift my leg over and balance the bike at the same time. Decided the extra couple of pounds was not worth the effort expelled to lift the bike of the ground. :rofl
  19. duncan

duncan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My sidestand switch is gone -- it got destroyed by a rock. Had to figure out how to bypass it under a Juniper tree in the middle of nowhere.

I'm not getting a new one -- my bypass is now soldered up as a permanent solution.

As for removing the sidestand entirely, I tried that on my old R100GS for about 5 years. It was a PAIN finding a spot to park when out in the dirt. Always had to be about level for the 2 sides of the center stand. Was fine anywhere on pavement.

Wendell
  20. Pointman0853

Oddometer:
    I rode my 640A out to Death Valley last year for one of Jim Hyde's weekend dirt parties. With tent and sleeping bag tied on the rack, I had the same problem. I got really good at rolling dismounts. It was pure beauty. After I got stopped I wrestled the beast up on the center stand. Once mounted up again, I just snicked it into gear as I rolled forward off the center stand and away we'd go...

Pointman