Sidi Adventure 2 Goretex vs Sidi Crossfire 3 SRS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Red liner, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    images (1).jpeg images.jpeg
    loookingfor new boots. Which one would you suggest? Are the crossfires good for comfortable touring use as well? I usually do enduro travel tours which mean long hours on the highway to offroad destination. My offroad is not rally or fast riding, but slower technical terrain with a 175 kg bike plus luggage.

If i get the crossfire, will add the enduro sole as an immediate swap.

Between the two, which did you get and why?
  2. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Been using the crossfire since version 1

I live in SW so rain is not much of an issue I find Gore Tech in boots makes them hot.

The crossfire is pretty water resistant based on my numerous water crossing.

I use the Enduro sole, It really makes walking over rough terrain comfortable the stock sole is way to slick IMHO for Enduro riding.

Hope that helps

Scott
    Sonny S. and Red liner like this.
  3. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    As with helmets, some brands don't fit some people. Some, like Revzilla have easy return.
    K12Pilot likes this.
  4. Tall Man

Tall Man Govern yourself accordingly.

Oddometer:
    If the related threads are to be believed (example here), the current/v2.0 iteration of the Sidi ADV boots have suffered in build quality, via use of less durable materials, when compared to the original version of the boot.

I've heard nothing but praise for the Crossfire's protective design attributes...at the expense of some rider comfort when compared to most any other boot in the same niche.

The v1.0 Sidi ADV GTX boots are what I wear. They've provided superlative service in/for a variety of on- and off-road riding environments.
    Red liner likes this.
  5. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I have the first generation of both boots... well my crossfires are the TA version.
    I wouldn’t take the adventure on a real dirt ride. And the crossfire is a bit bulky for an all day on road ride.
    I have replaced the adventure with a leather boot and once it is safe to venture out of the house I will be selling my adventures
    My crossfires have been great but I don’t think I would buy a new version the current non leather material sidi uses just doesn’t last.
    Red liner likes this.
  6. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive got both, (but the crossfire2). I bought the crossfires because I felt that my driving tend to be over my skill level and it most likely will hurt less with better protection. The adventures are lighter, softer, easier over all and still good protection. If there is walking involved I definitely go with the adventures.
    Red liner likes this.
  7. Red liner

Oddometer:
    I live in india and have no local sellers. Have to buy them online and imported. No chance of shipping back etc.
  8. Red liner

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the x3 sidi are the middle of the line between the adv goretex and the xfires.
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Brtp4 and Red liner like this.
  10. Red liner

Oddometer:
    This guy is spot on. Dig his review. I was looking at the xtreme Srs, which allows you to replace the sole with screws. I like that. Sad, it’s been discontinued a while back, poking around the Internet hoping to snag a good deal.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  11. K12Pilot

K12Pilot Without a Care

Oddometer:
    LOVE my sidi adv boots!!
  12. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Red liner the key takeaway for me is "slower technical terrain with a 175 kg bike plus luggage." For that, I am always going to value protection above all else. Additionally, the last thing I want in summer is a Gore-Tex boot. I have owned older versions of both in the past, and found the Crossfires comfortable for all day riding. Based on Brian's (@Brtp4) recommendation, I just purchased the Crossfire 3 but in the TA version as I have an E width foot, and have had to move away from SIDI's other models.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  13. Red liner

Oddometer:
    I agree. I have since narrowed down (pun?) To the sidi x3/xtreme srs version which get a great review from si pavey: https://www.brake-magazine.com/rated-sidi-xtreme-srs-boots/

Its a pity these have been discontinued by sidi. These seem like the best offroad adventure but not motocross boots for the price. Great value boot with the sole replacement option.
    STLR likes this.
  14. FlatSix

FlatSix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used Adventure 2 in the last two years and last January I bought also Crossfire 3 (not SRS, the enduro ones, with stitched sole).
    The Adventure are (obviously...) lighter, more comfortable, less protective.
    The weight difference is noticeable, if you go back to Adventure after using the Crossfire for a while the lightness is absolutely evident.
    They seem to have the same level of warmth in hot weather, but I haven't yet understood which one is more waterproof.
    Crossfire are higher, but tis is not a problem even wearing typical off road knee protections.
    After first wet rides, the Adventure were better, but then I realized that the best waterproofness was assured by off the boot pants I was wearing over Adventure.
    Wearing both with typical in the boot enduro pants, they both get wet after a whole day of rain, puddles and fords.
    I mean, for a typical summer downpour, occasional puddles/ford or even all day long normal rain no problem at all: with both boots the feets are dry, with both in and off the boot pants.
    A couple of times I got wet feet with both boots, but the rain was so strong that after 8/10 hours of wet off road riding my feet were swimming insidie the boots and I was completely wet, undies included: in this case, wet feet were the last of the problems...
    I have thin feet and both the boots fits very well, but in Crossfire I feel a higher pressure on ankles.
    My opinion is that Crossfire needs to break in longer; Adventure was comfortable since the first ride, with Crossfire I needed about a dozen of rides to break in and many tries to adjust the buckles.
    Now if I ride my Husqvarna 701 Enduro on fast off road track or technical trails I prefer Crossfire: I feel way more protected with them and I got used to the additional weight and stiffness, so these are anymore problems even after a whole riding day.
    For easier tracks or on/off road touring with BMW GS the Adventure are perfect and a must if I need to walk a bit.
    I think that the choice between the two boots is all about the protection/comfort trade off and this is a very subjective decision.
    Sometimes I feel a bit over the top wearing Crossfire while riding the GS and sometimes I feel that Adventure protection is not enough during high speed jumping and bumping with 701, but at the end these are probably sensations.
    For your typical rides probably Adventure is a better choice, but heavier bikes are way more dangerous for ankles/legs, even in case of low speed crash.
    Too many times I saw people to break ankles/legs being trapped under a kg 250 GS and getting older I feel more and more the need of a higher body protection.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  15. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Five weeks ago I broke my fibula in two places while wearing Sidi Adv Goretex boots. I never even left the bike but it hurt like hell. Something caught my left ankle and twisted it CCW. My partner had it on helmet video and was surprised that it broke my ankle. In my opinion, the Adv boots do not have the ankle protection needed when the adventure gets gnarly. YMMV
    Red liner likes this.
  16. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    BT, DT, here is the trophy:

WP_20200717_07_29_28_Pro.jpg

Thanks for the example. Hope the heal-up goes quick.

I do not want to miss the opportunity to suggest that IMO, when you go off road, use off road boots.

Personally I now enjoy the more structured feel of off road boots. Makes me feel prepared.

HTH.

BP
    STLR and Red liner like this.
  17. Red liner

Oddometer:
    Holy shit that is scary! No, the Sidi adv goretex is simply a very good road boot in my eyes. Good lord!

Something like the Sidi charger/x3/xtreme helps us novice dual sport guys ease into the mx world of mx boots. With this being the first, and the next being something more serious (that atojo really does look the bit), as our skills and risk taking abilities will improve for sure.

are there any other boots which are offroad heavy but not mx? I went and tried on the Astar tech 7 and they felt terribly moon boot.
  18. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I generally try to avoid using fear as a motivator. Our industry uses it way too much. But NJ Bill is correct, and so my little daily reminder was convenient.

Better to use stats, logic, common sense, etc. To those goals, and to your questions, there are two parts:

The first is to get people to go past their first reaction for choosing footwear, which is to say "I want a comfortable boot". That is WRONG. It is a learned response from how we buy our everyday footwear.

A Nike is good enough to operate the controls. The reason one buys motorcycle boots is for their FUNCTION, part of which is protecting from injury. How much height, plastic, sole rigidity, what happens when this heavy pig falls on me. Usually, once someone stops to ponder this thought, they pivot to thinking more about how much protection a boot has. At that point, my advice is to get as much as you are willing to tolerate.

The key is to make sure that our fellow riders, especially newer ones, have ran that calculation. From that point forward, they are making an informed decision, whatever they choose.

The second is to look for what I describe as the "elegance" of one boot compared to another. An Answer Racing MX boot is just as protective as a Sidi X-3. Difference is, the Answer Boot feels like a brick, and the Sidi, with it's hinge, better materials, shape, and decades of Italian bootmaking experience, feels BOTH protective and pretty easy to live with. That is an intangible when looking at a web page, but it is completely tangible when you have them in your hands or on your feet. It is a very worthwhile effort to pursue that "elegance" IMO.

Alpinestars, especially the Tech 7, present some real challenges for me. The Tech 7 is the best selling off road boot in the world. I have to sell them, and I do. However, it is nowhere near the best $350 off road boot in the world, not close, several others are way way better IMO. Alpinestars has very shrewdly built boots focusing on the mass marketing of a product, while their neighbors focus on great boots. The product is acceptably good, particularly for less thoughtful customers who are looking for comfortable boots. They have some cool features and I like them well enough. But I think you will find that other off road boot models are more protective, more durable, and do not have that "moon boot" feel.

Hope that contributes.

BP
    Sonny S., Red liner and STLR like this.
  19. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear the Sidi X3 TA version for all my dual sport riding.

Outstanding boot. It is a good way to move into an off road boot and get use to riding in one.

Once these wear out some, I am going to move up to the crossfire.

Once you ride ADV in an off-road boot, you won't ride in anything else.
    Brtp4 and Red liner like this.
  20. Red liner

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Have watched most of your reviews on your channel. You are spot on and one of the few retailers i know who advice rather than sell! Great to have you here!
    careycsg and Brtp4 like this.