Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boot question

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Razzeaux, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Razzeaux

Razzeaux Reluctant Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'm starting my second year of riding and it's time to upgrade my riding boots from my Wolverines. I've been looking and Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex Boots have caught my eye. For those of you who wear these, what's been your experience with them?
  2. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I love mine! Only nitpick is the squeaking.
  3. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  4. Razzeaux

Oddometer:
    How long did it take you to get them broken in?
  5. cug

cug --

Oddometer:
    Love mine, too. Haven't ridden much in them yet, though. But they fit nicely, are super comfy and not too hot. Mine don't squeak (yet).
  6. max384

max384 Bandaided

Oddometer:
    The squeaking will never go away on its own. In fact, when I first got mine they didn't squeak at all. It was only after about a week in them that they developed their god-awful squeaking. However, there's absolutely no reason at all to live with the squeaking. I used a generous application of mink oil pretty much over the entire boot and have been 'topping it off' with silicone lubricant every month or so. No squeaks at all since. To be fair, I've only had them a few months though. :lol3

In the three months and about 3500 miles I've been wearing them they've been absolutely flawless. I've ridden through a few rain storms up to about an hour with 100% dry feet. I sat with my feet submerged in a running stream up to my ankles for about 20 minutes while I ate lunch, and my feet were completely dry. They're comfortable on the bike and fairly warm during the winter (though this worries me come summer). They're okay for walking somewhat short distances in... But I wouldn't consider taking a hike in them. They were a bit difficult to upshift in when I first got them, but I very quickly got used to that and don't notice any difficulty shifting at all.

I can't speak about longevity, but so far I don't really have any complaints (well, other than the squeaking, but that's a VERY easy fix).

By the way, I ordered mine from FC-moto.de. They're based out of Germany, their communication sucks, and their shipping is slow... But I bought my Adventure Goretex boots for $298 shipped. I think the price has gone up a bit since then (maybe exchange rates, maybe increased demand, I'm not sure), but I'm pretty sure you can still save some substantial money if you're willing to wait a bit.
  7. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    +1 what max said. I tried silicone spray and mink oil, but need to reapply since they started squeaking again. It's not really a big deal, but is noisy if you're in a small store. I also purchased mine from fc-moto when they were being sold for $600 here in the states. I think I paid $325 shipped for mine last year. I had mine in less than 10 days and have always had my emails answered the next day. Just make sure you know what size you need, because it could take almost a month if you have to do a return/exchange.
  8. TorontoBrit

TorontoBrit TorontoBrit

Oddometer:
    I have had mine for over a year, worn in weather from 46C down to below freezing. I have never had cold feet, and never had hot wrinkly feet, most of my riding is commuting so I usually only have dress socks on in them. I put a Gel insole in them and after wearing Skechers all day at work, they are a delight to put on they are so comfortable. Break in period was next to non existant, they were cofortable right from the get go. They are absolutely waterproof, and once clean, mine still look close to new.
    arabicgelato likes this.
  9. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for 3 years now. There are fantastic in every way except one. That is the sole has worn smooth. I've put about 33K miles of riding on them. For the short amount of time I walk around in them, I am a bit surprised that the sole has worn soo much on the balls of my feet. I have to be careful at stops on asphalt, especially where there is lots of engine oil in the lanes. I’ve almost dumped my bike on a few occasions because my boots slips out from beneath me. This is a minor complaint and would most likey happen with any pair of boots I would have gotten. Time to go see a shoe cobbler I guess...

Oh and yes, they sqeak and it draws attention to you in stores and such. They are not comfortable, for me, to walk any distance in. Initially, they were stiff, but break-in pretty well. They have saved my shin on at least one occasion that I can think of in Owens Valley, where a rock caught my ankle in a turn. I have a nice scratch in the boot there, but it could have been my shin bone. For that, I am thankful.
  10. Wildman

Wildman In my castle

Oddometer:
    Outstanding boots. Saved my ankle a couple of times, one at the expense of my knee. They do squeak pretty good though! :D
  11. Helga_14

Helga_14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love mine, felt comfortable right out of the box. When they start squeeking, I get out the WD-40 and the squeeking is gone! :clap
  12. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Love them. Break-in time was almost nonexistent. Bought them at motostorm.it. Great Service superfast shipping.

petzi-baer
  13. OlivierS

OlivierS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love them. Don't drive ur car with them though, the protector of my shin got caught behind the dashboard and I couldn't get my foot of the clutch...
  14. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing to add to all the other comments to be aware of.

The height of the boot in the toe area from the bottom of the sole to above the toes is quite a bit taller than most boots. As a result shifter placement is more important and I find that having it placed right for upshifts that I have to pick up my boot a little bit for downshifts.
  15. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never use the silicone that comes with every pair of Sidi boots. It makes them squeak more. Chain lube works great on the squeak and it lasts.
    civilator likes this.
  16. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Broke mine in this week, they're pretty comfortable to wear around, kinda of a PITA to drive a manual equipped car in. Mine haven't squeeked yet, but they are brand new. Bought them from a local motorcycle gear shop who was running a 10% off sale...
  17. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider

Oddometer:

I wore mine out fairly quickly with burst seams and fully believe they DO NOT provide adequate protection for ADV riders.
    While comfortable to walk in and being 100% waterproof, depending on how much you value you foots health vs. comfort walking (we're talking about MC riding not hiking right?..)
    Of course that's all subjective, I can only go on my personal experience. Personally I'd rather have less overall daily comfort than broken bones. :deal

Boots are hands down the most important part of your safety gear behind helmet, your feet are fragile, very exposed, and have plenty of places to break.

I was all excited about the Sidi Adventures when they came out, many miles of experience has taught me different.

See them coming apart at the seams? On year riding.
    Mine are the ones on the right, Nancy's boots on left and her mistake of wearing them for ADV riding on the CRD then TAT leading to 3 broken bones shortly after this photos in an incident proper off tarmac boots would have avoided.

[​IMG]

See my broken toe?

[​IMG]

Those have been my Sidi Adventure boots experience, decide for your self what's important, protection when riding, or comfort when walking. :deal
    I can highly recommend Sidi Crossfires instead, I can't count how many times they have saved me from injury that undoubtably would have happened if I had Adventures on and have been just as waterproof.
  18. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Razzeaux

Oddometer:
    Which Crossfire's do u recommend? I just went to revzilla and they have 4 different versions of them.
  20. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider

Oddometer:
    I have Crossfire SRS, while I don't think they are advertised with Gortex or even being waterproof, I've ridden in plenty of wet weather and have yet to get wet feet.

I still wear my Adventures for street only riding, even though they are coming apart. I have had the left one repaired and the right one is overdue for the same.
    Nice boots, very comfy, but I still know without a doubt, for me, they did not provide adequate protection when things went wrong like it usually does when riding off tarmac from time to time. I can easily flex the toe area up to touch the shin area on the Adventures, hardly stiff enough to save your foot when you hit a rock or get your foot tangles up under the bike in a minor get off. This was the same even beofer the stitching started coming apart.
    If you're coming from a "street" boot to the Adventures, they sure seem very stout, but mine loosened up too much with too much flex for the kind of ADV riding I like to do.

My boots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NGA likes this.