Sidi Crossfire boots review: quality control problems?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by B1, Oct 21, 2019.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    My Sidi Crossfires bought six years ago copped huge amounts of abuse and were still functional (with intact original soles) when I retired them as a backup pair in 2018.

But the replacement set have been steadily falling apart over just 18 months. I asked around and heaps of Sidi Crossfire users seem to be having similar issues. Their old boots were great but recent sets aren't what they used to be.

One riding buddy had the entire bottom section of his brand new Crossfire fall off during the Sea to Sky race. Another said his last two pairs of Crossfires have been rubbish (the previous two were brilliant). A dealer told me his Sidi national distributor was shocked by the number of warranty claims and complaints in recent years. I emailed Sidi head office and two national distributors (UK and USA) with a list of questions about an apparent drop in quality but received no replies.

Some think it's all linked to Sidi moving most of the manufacturing from Italy to the Romanian factory since around 2012. Other 'Italian' brands now made overseas?
    Alpinestar made in Croatia
    Forma made in Romania
    TCX (formerly Oxtar) made in China
    Dainese made in Tunisia. :(

Gaerne appears to be the only Italian brand still actually made in Italy.

Some guys are having a good run with their Crossfires but there seem to be a lot who aren't. From what I can see much of it is linked to soles falling off prematurely, especially the SRS models... although the TA stitched soles do appear to have issues too.

My concern is that the Sidi Crossfire is a premium-priced boot but that since the move to Romanian manufacture the quality does not appear to be at a premium level anymore. Contrast this with Gaerne boots which are still manufactured in Italy and appear to have remained at a premium quality level, judging by the lack of online complaints and numerous positive user reviews.

If you are using Sidi Crossfires how are they working out for you?

NOTE Occasionally there are scams for selling Sidi Crossfires from China but from what I can't find anyone who has actually ever received any. Very interested to know if it's ever happened though. There HAVE been Chinese copies of Sidi's adventure and road boots on Ebay occasionally but they clearly indicate they are being sold from China apparently.
    PomInOz_ and boulet_boulet like this.
  2. Oldbear

Oldbear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yessir, have noticed the same decline in durability.

Had the soles coming off from my last two pairs of Crossfire SRS boots. The pair before those held up way better.

Switched to TA this spring and so far they've been solid but once they deteriorate I've been tempted to try Gaerne next.
  3. Oldsport79

Oldsport79 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had the Sidi Crossfire 3 TA's for very long so I cannot speak to longevity. However, during my recent trip my poor riding skills lead me to fall over often. I am convinced that I would have broken an ankle a few times with Adventure boots. However, my trip was cut short when I feel over on some rocks (again due to my poor skills) and the pointy end of the the rear brake lever came down on my 5th metatarsal. It was a good clean brake and now I am rocking a medical boot for the next several weeks. However, I don't know if anything short of a steel toe would have protected my foot.
    B1 likes this.
  4. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    been experiencing alot of quality issues, seems a switch to some tree hugger freindly adhesive may be the main culprit.
    B1 and Dan Diego like this.
  5. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had bad luck with the SRS sole, it peeled right off in a matter of hours in DV. But I am a SIDI guy and have had outstanding luck with the Crossfire's, gen 1 and gen 2. I tried to wear Garne, but they are way to wide. In fact, I have a brand new pair of 12's that I just don't like the fit.

I have broken my Fib/Tib 2 different times in Crossfire 2's and I really think anything lessor, I would be crippled right now.

I will stick with SIDI until the end. JM.02..
    B1 likes this.
  6. yumdumpster

yumdumpster Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have had the Crossfire 2 SRS's for close to 2 years now without any issues, seem to be incredibly sturdy and have held up really well with some of the abuse I have been subjecting them too, I use them for Street, Dirt, and adventure riding. I tend to ride somewhat... aggressively.. and I am constantly whacking my feet on shit so I feel I have put them through a decent amount of punishment.

It is possible though that QC has just gone through the poop chute since I acquired mine. Would be interested to know when the people who have been having problems purchased theirs and what their MFR date was.
    B1 likes this.
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    SRS or the stitched TA soles, 2 SPOT? And have you had issues other than soles peeling off?
  8. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Are there similar reports on Forma, also manufactured in Romania?
    Also, I think the top of the line Tech 10 from Alpinestars is also made in Italy, the rest of their stuff in Asia.
    B1 likes this.
  9. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    B1, i only own the TA but ive seen and read many failures on the srs also.

keep in mind the stitching is only to a midsole, that thin 2-3mm layer if you look at it. the thick tread outsole is held on by glue alone.

dragos,,, i have Forma boots as well, dominator and predator, they are constructed just like SIDI with a stitched midsole and glued outer,,, the dominators separated a couple months ago, the predators are holding up so far.

in both manufactureres i've only had issues with the outsole peeling off, i re-glued myself and they are doing well. the rest of the boot has been very durable.
    B1 likes this.
  10. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    The Gaernes are the same, one of the reasons for the metal piece at the front is to prevent delamination of the glued outer sole.
  11. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Yes Forma are definitely made in Romania too. I did a quick google around and couldn't find much in the way of online complaints. But if you check through the comments on my vid you can find a few guys saying they've had issues with Forma boots.

Hard to say how significant the number of failures is though... and they are a mid-priced boot, at least here in Australia.
  12. striped tomato

striped tomato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on my second pair of crossfires, the first pair were great but I have snapped a buckle off the boot on the second pair and its a non replaceable part so I'm a bit peeved. No dramas with the sole though.
    B1 likes this.