Sidi done making Aerostich Combat Touring Boots?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rube, Apr 17, 2017.

1. rube

rube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CTBs show as out of stock for all sizes at Aerostich.

I had heard that Sidi would no longer make an all leather boot for them so Aerostich is looking for a new manufacturer.

The CBT is an iconic and solid do it all boot. I hope Andy and his crew find a company to continue to make or to make a new improved version of the CBT.

-rube
  2. shadowchrome

shadowchrome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Makes me glad I decided to have mine resoled last year!

[​IMG]
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. rube

rube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow,
    The leather looks great on those boots! They look new.
    Can I ask what you are treating them with?

Rube

4. shadowchrome

Oddometer:
    I agree! I bought them second hand from a guy in the PNW. I couldn't believe the boots looked that good and needed to be resoled.........must have been a foot dragger :hmmmmm
  5. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    That seems to be the "buzz." I'm an Aerostich fanboy, but I never could get comfortable with the CTB's. I tried both the regular and the Lights.

Maybe they'll go up in value as "unobtainium".
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  6. Random

Random Quiet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where'd you have them resoled? Local cobbler? Sent out? Mine are due for resoling.
  7. StevieMac

StevieMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had my CTBs and a pair of SIDI Discoverys resoled at a local cobbler. I bought my CTBs used in 2008 and they are still going strong.
  8. shadowchrome

Oddometer:
    I bought the soles from Aerostich and sent them to this guy.......

[​IMG]

Great job and quick turnaround!
    dezertpilot, 9Realms and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  9. Joe Nathan

Joe Nathan n00b

Oddometer:
    I just called them this morning. You're correct. They're looking for a new cobbler.
  10. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Did they mention whether they're going to have a different "cobbler" make essentially the same boot?
  11. Joe Nathan

Joe Nathan n00b

Oddometer:
    The gal didn't say. Imo, it would be foolish to mess with such a successful boot.
  12. Aztecking

Aztecking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was a at a Aerostitch pop up store lately and they said Sidi won't make them all leather for them so they are searching for a new vendor who will make an all leather boot. I guess the owner is adamant about selling all leather and no synthetics.

Jeff
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  13. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The irony is inescapable. Andy has strong opinions that have served him well so maybe he knows something? Or is he being stubborn this time?
  14. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    If or when they do find a satisfactory manufacturer, I predict a significant price hike.

I've had my CTBs since 2002 and they're still going strong.
  15. Mr. Floyd

Mr. Floyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I am officially pissed at aerostich. I bought two Combat touring boot replacement kits at $25 each. However, in order to use them, you must have kept the clamp piece that has broke off from the rest of the strap. I found one. They don't tell you that when you order. Although I can send one back and get it refunded I'd rather not be pissed and be able to comfortably wear the boots.
  16. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle riding jackets serve a different mission than moto-specific footwear. How is championing synthetics for the former and leather for the latter ironic?
    Seventy One likes this.
  17. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tall Man - I agree that the mission is very different, but to insist on absolutely no synthetics seems ironic to me. I've had several conversations with Andy over the years and he's a very bright mind; but with a stubborn streak. I'm sure he would admit as much if pressed.

My CBT's are 18 years old and have well over 200,000 miles on them too. Love them.
    Schlug and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    In fairness to your point, @Bruincounselor, my Sidi ADV GTX boots aren't exclusively constructed of top grain leather (a feature which Gore requires for their certification, IIRC). So construction with mixed elements does have a place. And I know from the recurrent ad copy in Mr. Goldfine's catalogs that his approach of "it is what it is because of what it is" does have the tinge of inflexibility associated with it.

I had a chance to buy one of the last pairs of CBTs in my size, but I couldn't justify the expense because I didn't need a pair of moto-boots at the time. And now they're unobtanium. As much as I like my Sidis, I also like the philosophy of Andy's CBT boot design. So I do hope that he finds a new manufacturer that can meet his personal requirements.
    Hi-De-Ho and Bruincounselor like this.
  19. mexipike

mexipike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my CBT lites. I've had mine for years but they've always been a 1/2 size too small(I bought used and just lived with it). I finally decided to buy a new pair and realized they were no longer for now. One of my favorite things about them is their looks!

What's a close replacement in the meantime?
  20. kingbee

kingbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always liked the boots but my feet are too wide for them. They're narrow like all Sidis it seems.

The Chippewa Rally is a pretty close equivalent, and it comes in wide sizes, but I can't get past those disco heels.

I'm of the opinion that leather is still the best material for shoes and boots. Tried a lot of high tech versions, but the only work boots that last for me are made from dead cows.
    SgtDuster likes this.