Siem Reap bike needs in April

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Dakar Moto, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Dakar Moto

Dakar Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need 2 bikes for a week in Siem Reap.

Ideally like 250cc. Or even 150cc.

I’ve got April plans for a week visit with a friend. Seems they don’t want expats to ride there without a guide. I’d love to find a friend of friend who can help supply two bikes. Any help appreciated.
  2. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Plenty of companies and places to hire a bike, just google. The companies I've dealt with there mostly have organised tours but may hire you a bike. Try Cross Thach or Dancing roads. Companies are constantly changing as staff set up there own business. Never had any problems riding there without a guide even on my Australian registered bike, but again thing are constantly changing. There could be a bit of political turmoil there atm so keep your eyes open.
  3. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    As of August 2019:
    "There has been some discussion about it on the Tripadvisor forum. Although it has been illegal for some time, police have never worried about it, however it seems that the laws have been enforced regularly in the last 6-12 months with foreigners being fined and some bikes being confiscated..."
    But:
    "I found a motorbike shop near the night market in the main street. Right in front of the gas station. I wondered if it is allowed to rent a motorbike and the owner said I can rent for 10 dollars a day. And the owner gave some tips to avoid some street in a specific time because there's police there checking the tourists..."
    And:
    "ELECTRIC scooters ARE legal to rent and ride".
  4. Dakar Moto

Oddometer:
    This is great guys. Thanks so much. I like the electric scooter idea to run around town for the week.
    I think we’ll try to do the guide thing to avoid a costly loss of a bike.
    Again, thanks guys for all this!
  5. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    How long has it been illegal and do you know why this was brought in?
  6. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    It has been illegal for a while (2002) but has apparently only been reinforced lately...
    The reason for it seems to be either the high accident rate of young inexperienced foreigners renting scooters or pressure from the local Tuktuk mafia, or both.
    https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/siem-reap-reminded-tourist-moto-car-rental-ban
    https://m.phnompenhpost.com/siem-reap-insider/moto-rental-laws-tested-town
    https://www.travelfish.org/transport_detail/cambodia/western_cambodia/siem_reap/siem_reap/53
  7. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Really, I was there in 2011,12 and 2016 and never had a problem. Never even stopped by a cop and no probs at borders crossings.
  8. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    Probably because YOU look more like a (responsible adult) expat on a bike than a accident prone foreign teenager...
    Quote from the police:
    "...he added that the “principle” applies only to tourists, not expats because expats live in Siem Reap for a long time, understand Cambodia traffic and can learn how to drive locally...
    “...we do make exceptions for foreigner who living in Siem Reap for long periods. They can learn how to drive a moto..."
    And only from 2019 onwards did the cops put their foot down on loopies on bikes...
  9. Dakar Moto

Oddometer:
    Saw this on Trip Advisor or somewhere. Thanks. Our plan will be to rent and take a guide for a few days. I have two outfitters on the line. Now to the planning. Where to go if you had a full two days to explore our of SR???
    This one will be hot and dusty for sure. I'll be sure to include a waterfall each day!