Sienna minivan camper. No longer going the teardrop route.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ride4321, Dec 1, 2017.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, I've been overthinking the guitar hanging. Took it out to see where else it might fit and behind the passenger seat is perfect and it hardly takes up any useable space. Easy to get to and easy to put away. A couple of bungees will do the job.

van guitar solution.jpg
    leavundst, sieg, marret and 2 others like this.
  2. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One week from take off here. It's getting cold here. Heading to Florida to visit my kids for 3-4 weeks and then along the gulf coast. Most camping in FL will be free in the Water Management areas. The trip west along the gulf to mid Texas shows signs of good free camping as well. Hoping to camp on the beach in Eastern TX and a week or two in Big Bend NP. I just picked up a Thule Summit cargo box for great price so that will hold my riding gear and DR luggage. Thrilled with that purchase. I've got the van in good shape and ready to go. The logistics of being gone for months are the hardest part. Mail is being sent to my brother in FL. He'll know how to weed thru the medicare scam shit. Paid up all insurances and stuff that isn't auto pay. Need to pack tools. Need to decide what needs to come with me and what can stay home. For the first 3-5 month trip there are a lot of if's and what do you take. I'll guess and take as little as possible. I think this van is going to work out fine and I'll be posting pics as I go and learn.
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cargo box looked huge in the living room but not on the van. Lot's of storage which will help keep the van less cluttered. Gonna install the cabinets today and start figuring out where shit will go. I built them to fit the space, not to hold specific items. Should be interesting.

thule.jpg

Only thing to do to the bike is check the NSU screws (DR650). Have the gasket, just need to do it in the next few days.
    simbaboy, tjzondrz and staticPort like this.
  4. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shower/bathroom installed. It'll work as long as it isn't windy out.

van shower.jpg
    katbeanz likes this.
  5. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holler if you pass through Pensacola during the week. If I can get away, I'll spring for lunch..........have a great trip!
    ride4321 likes this.
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll keep that in mind. I won't be heading thru there until early December. Thanks.
  7. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye out for my van too. Stopping to see my sis the first week of December in P-cola. Headed for Houston after that.
    ride4321 and AST236 like this.
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Party in Pensacola!
    :rilla
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Packed and hitting the road. Was gonna leave in the morning but weather looks iffy so I'm heading to lower PA to visit a friend tonight then on south in the morning.
    Van is sitting low. I am carrying too much shit. Might have to see if I can add airbags along the way if I want to get into any BLM sites.

road 1.jpg

road 2.jpg

Everything fit fine and I still have 2 cubbys in the horizontal cabinet as well as one in the vertical narrow cabinet. One entire section under the bed is almost empty as well.
    BIG-E, Bultaco206, sieg and 2 others like this.
  10. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Have fun. Be safe. I'm envious.
    BIG-E, Baroquenride and Maggot12 like this.
  11. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    @ride4321 If I missed it..What is the cargo footprint of the Sienna? I have a Mercedes-Benz G wagon and love your set up, I would like to do something similar.
    Thank you.

Romero
  12. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really sure and can't remember if I packed a tape measure or not. I'll check later. Just got to sunny Florida a few hours ago. In the 30s all the way to the FL line. It was 30 in SC when I woke up this morning. In the mid 60s here in central FL.
    tjzondrz and katbeanz like this.
  13. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    And windy! I’m camping at Cape Canaveral and not liking the heavy gusts.
    tjzondrz and ride4321 like this.
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the Water Management areas near Zephyrhills for the next month, Lower Hillsboro and East and West Track near Dade City. Free camping and nice private areas. Check it out if you're up this way.
    tjzondrz likes this.
  15. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    If you would have time. Would you post some pics of you camp ?
  16. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    I should be in that area about the 1st of December. If so, I’ll pm you.
  17. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic last year from the area near Dade City. I pretty much had the whole place to myself. In the spring it was packed with equestrian campers. It's hit or miss.

Camp2 FL.jpg
    tjzondrz likes this.
  18. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a ride in yesterday. No jacket liner and just a t-shirt under the shell. Now that's nice riding weather for November. Should be able to get a ride in this afternoon. Been stuck in the van with rain for the last 12 hours so time to get some fresh air. This van is tiny when you're stuck inside because of weather.

bike fl.JPG
    wilfred, MYUMPH, sieg and 1 other person like this.
  19. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    I packed an old cabin style tent for the extended stays and weather confinement. It’s been very stress relieving for this week’s break from road travel. It also allows me to take the van to the store or wandering without losing a camp site.
    B15168FE-49B9-40E3-9B1C-1503D7064AC5.jpeg
    ride4321, BigEasy, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  20. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool night at camp so I rode to Barnes and Noble to chill out for the evening. That van gets small after a few days of drizzle and cool temps. Last night I was able to get the damp firewood going and the rain held out for the evening.

fire.JPG
    tjzondrz, katbeanz, sieg and 2 others like this.