Sienna minivan camper.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ride4321, Dec 1, 2017.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    4E892C13-C767-42AD-BD4E-0D6D42073655.jpeg

Like this
  2. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    it’s like I say, if it ain’t broke, fix it til it is.
    BigEasy, JimVonBaden and hpsVFR like this.
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see what you're talking about. I like that idea, very simple and strong. I was thinking a 1x2 from the bottom of the leg diagonally up to the front of the table on each side. Also very simple to do. Might play with that idea tomorrow.

My son brought home my smaller guitar so I could see if it'll be small enough to fit on this cabinet or if I'll need to buy a smaller travel size guitar. I'd like to take this old Yamaha if possible. I won't bother with a case but just make a strap type mount to the back of the cabinet of on top. I purposely kept the top low so I had some visibility thru the rear window so strapping it to the back of the cabinet would be better. Looks like it'll fit. The small cutout hole in the back of the cabinet is for one of the water dispensers to face forward so I can access water from either side.

van galley 6.jpg

van galley 7.jpg

Thinking the back is the place for it. Glue some soft fabric to keep from scratching the guitar and some sort of straps to hold the guitar in place. Any ideas for strapping it down?
    marret and villageidiot like this.
  4. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    strapworks.com

they’ll make you custom straps stupid cheap.

I’d say basically nylon web like a helmet strap would be simple and light

or could use nylon buckles.

check em out
    ride4321 and hpsVFR like this.
  5. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll try some cam straps I have for my kayak. That should work with a few slots cut into the cabinet to thread them through.
    hpsVFR and villageidiot like this.
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put the cabinet in today to fit and build the last cabinet which will span the cabinet by the side door and the rear galley. It's a bitch with all the body panels but made a horizontal cabinet 36"W x 10"H x 7 to 11" deep. Not sure what will go in it but I wanted something to tie the middle woodwork to the rear and secure it all in place. Pics to come. Using sliding doors on this so with the hinged doors on one cabinet, cubbies o the 2nd, sliders here and drop down table on the rear I think this is a good prototype on what will or won't work.
    Once I had the rear cabinet in the van I stuck the guitar on top and it left some visibility so I think that's where the guitar will go. Probably just strap it down with cam straps. That way it isn't taking up any space in the living area which is small enough as it is.
    Also ordered this shitter. It'll fit under the kitchen and will only be used for emergencies. It's low enough to be used in the van where head space is limited. My bed is only 12" off the floor because of limited head room, had to cut it down to make room to sit up so the shorter potty is the only way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-White-92814-Porta-Potti/dp/B07CHNB6TS
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the small cabinet to fill in the void. It could have been taller but would have required more angles to cut and I can use the free space on top to throw crap when not in motion.

van mid cabinet.jpg

van mid cabinet 2.jpg

van cubby cabinet.jpg

There is obviously no consistency in the cabinets. Started out with the big side door cabinet figuring that would be all I'd need. Added the cubby cabinet to the right of that to put clothes in since it was just wasted space. Then the galley and not this oddball cabinet. It'll work and I'm not concerned with fashion here.:augie
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just had a good idea for that extra space over the long cabinet. I've got lots of room above it so I might make some wire loops that I can fasten into the top of it that would let me store a jacket, jeans, sweatshirt, towel on top. I could make something from wood I suppose like this or just bend some wire and drill and glue it into place.

towel-basket.jpg

van mid cab wire rack.jpg

I could fit quite a lot of stuff up there and just pull the stuff out if I need to put the reflectix in the window at night.
  9. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    could just make some bungee loops from cord and not have to worry about it sticking up all the time
    goosecreek and ride4321 like this.
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a Village Idiot you have some great ideas, that might work and be cheap as well. I don't see why a good strong bungie wouldn't hold that guitar in place either. Thanks.
    I saw some adjustable kitchen racks for pans that would work but they were expensive.
    leavundst and villageidiot like this.
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I’ve done a lot of the trailer/camper/van/moto stuff.
    ride4321 likes this.
  12. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...or maybe a couple of motorcycle cargo nets?

[​IMG]
    BigEasy, Maggot12 and villageidiot like this.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I was just looking for a link to those exact nets to post here... I'd put them on the top of all your cabinets. and maybe a smaller vertical one above your feet if not mounting a tv there.

14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    120k dollar vans have mesh storage pockets (plastic rim on the sides and bottom, tape or screwed on) everywhere that's convenient. Doors, roofs, open spaces on walls, etc. You could put then in the drawer doors and vertical areas of your cabinets.
  15. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $12.99 for two at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G59R98L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A28189CANQ8P8C&psc=1

I could use them in a lot of places. The back of the passenger seat and one might work well to secure the guitar to the back of the rear cabinet even. Maybe I'll order 2 sets.
    Maggot12 and villageidiot like this.
  16. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Harbor freight has em cheap too
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Those would work for the tops of cabinets. This type for some vertical areas of your van.

[​IMG]
    villageidiot likes this.
  18. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too late Maggot but where did you find those? Went to HF and grabbed 2 bungee nets. This holds almost all the clothes I need, just need to add a few pairs of shorts which should fit. In the pic are a leather jacket, 2 pr jeans, 4 tshirts, 2 long sleeve pullover shirts and a towel.

van bungee 1.jpg

van bungee 2.jpg

Thanks for all the good tips guys. Keep them coming.
    I tried one of these on for size for the back of passenger seat and it's a perfect fit and another should hold the guitar nice and secure so I've got to go back to HF for a few more.
    villageidiot and Maggot12 like this.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I just googled "mesh storage pockets". They range from cell phone size to large enough to hold a brief case. Amazon...
    ride4321 likes this.
  20. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna try to make a guitar hanger tomorrow with a few bolts and nuts and some weather strip to provide cushion for the guitar. A few u bolts for a bungee should do the trick to keep it in place.
    van guitar hanger.jpg

Going with this idea...

[​IMG]
    Maggot12 and villageidiot like this.