Sierra Campout 5/10-5/12

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Santa, May 8, 2002.

1. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Myself and a friend are taking a little ride this weekend. Thought I'd see if any GSers are interested.
    Here's the skinny,So far 1 GS, 1 KLR. Leaving
    South San Francisco 1 to 2 pm Friday 5/10. Stopping by the crib in Oakley to gear up. Delta backroads to
    Jackson. Prolly stop @ Safeway. Up 88 and camp at Silver Lake or something. Will do some dirt riding Sat. en route to Grover Hot Springs.
    Nothing too rad although maybe a bit muddy. Camp there or nearby. Return Sunday via Hwy 4.Just opened after winter closure.
    Should be a nice weekend to get out.
    Who's in?
    Santa
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll wave in your general direction as I head south to San Diego this weekend.
  3. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Hey Santa, Ain't you and the little lady gotta mom!:(:

Sunday= mom's day
  4. Santa

Oddometer:
    Well, My mom and dad have passed away.
    God bless em.
    As for wifey, her mom is away this weekend so I have a green lite to play.
    Santa
  5. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your parents. I lost my parents many years ago when I was way to young.

If you are ever able to give more notice I might be able to join you.

Enjoy your get away.
  6. Santa

Oddometer:
    Yeah, notice is way too short for most. I was unsure if we were going to go until today.
    Should be a blast although nites will be cold.
    I'm looking forward to hwy 4. I really like the section between 89 and Ebbett's pass.
    Spose we will have to rally the troops and pick a destination. maybe next month?
    Anyway we'll get together over some cold ones at the 49 er and hammer out the details.
    Santa
  7. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Hey Santa-

Would you be on the KLR or the GS? I remember you were talking about getting something lighter.

-BS
  8. Santa

Oddometer:
    I'll be on the GS.No more KLR's for me.
    I have decided on the LC-4. Soon as funds allow.
    How is the recovery coming along?
    Too bad ya can't make it. Prolly do some of the same roads as last fall.
    Santa
  9. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    If I had a bike instead of a mom, I'd be there.:D (I'll probably go to hell for that) I'm about 60% mobility and 50% strength on my lower right arm. Good enough to ride road, but not off road.

The real sticking point right now is rotation of my lower arm caused by the damage to the radius. I'm trying to stay positive but the lack of progress lately and the warning from the doc that I may lose "some degree of rotation permanently" has me a little concerned.

I should be able to start work on the bike next week. I'm shooting to be back on two wheels for the 49er.

-BS
  10. Santa

Oddometer:
    Took me three years to feel 100% after breaking my leg. These things take time.
    Lookin forward to seeing you at the 49er.I'll be riding up on friday to get a prime spot.
    Keep us posted.
    Santa
  11. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:

Right on. I'll be there with ya mang.
  12. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Hey, glad to see there are other maniacs in the world. First post here, heard about this site from some Santa cruisers at Twaddlefest a couple of weekends ago. The ride sounds good but I am bummed I can't make it. I have to make a mad dash to Portland this weekend (on the LT) but want to make several camping trips this season (the season being life). I have had my GS for 2 months now and need to work it. Keep any trips int eh future posted. FYI, On hiway 4 neer the summit there is a turn off for Highland lakes, Great road to it (was dirt, do not know now) and great camping area, 2 nice twin lakes. glad to be here in the asylum.:beer2
  13. Santa

Oddometer:
    Yes, we will try the Highland Lakes road. Usually dirt, prolly mud now. We'll see. I think I remember you from twaddle. You ride a blue and white GS. Lots of baggage that day.
    I'm the guy wearing the red stitch, yeller GS.

See ya at the 49er?
    Santa
  14. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Santa , that was me. Have a gas this weekend and I probably will be at the 49er. Maybe a GS ride up Mosquito ridge, great road.
    Mongox:huh
  15. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Santa & helpers,

Have you guys ever ridden the Henness Pass Rd? Runs north of I-80 from SR49 to Reno? Its the only unpaved pass in the Northern Sierra.

I'm going out over Memorial Day with a few buds and plan to go over Henness Pass and then head North and wind around through Plumas N.F.

I know the 49'er is then, but I kinda just want to ride a bunch...

R-dubb
  16. Santa

Oddometer:
    Havent heard of that one. Sounds good. Have to get out the maps...
    Santa
  17. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's it is....

R-dubb

Attached Files:

18. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    I have jeeped sections of this many moons ago. Beautiful country. Any one possibly interested in doing this sometime around the 4th of July time frame. It could be way too messy right now and possibly/probably still snowed in.
    Mongox:rofl :rofl :smoke
  19. Santa

Oddometer:
    Man, Ive never seen that one. Usually spend time in the Sierra city/Gold lakes/Yuba pass area. Looks like I'll be going there soon to check this out. I suspect that it is a decent a gravel road. What condition is it in?
    I have decided to baby the beast. No more real gnarly stuff. It got to the point that I would bend, break or tear something every dirt ride.
    Not dumping it even. I suppose that I am a bit too hard on the bike.
    Say, is this the one that the stupid Stolpa's almost died on a few winter's ago?
    Santa
  20. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    In :thumb