Silver City anyone?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by parocket, Feb 19, 2008.

1. parocket

parocket 1 hand

Oddometer:
    Seen a show on Silver City Idaho the other night and started to look to add it to my westen trip. Can anyone vouch for the trails around the city? Maps? info?

geo
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    It's by the Gila Nat'l Forest with dirt roads.
    Great paved roads in the area.
  3. widebmw

widebmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know that I shouldn't be picky but I went to my MS streets and trips and found 18 towns in the US named Silver City.
  4. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    If you wanna come to Silver City, NM, pm me and I'll give you my phone number...there's too much riding out here to type it all!!:thumb
  5. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great roads and a lot of things to see around Silver City, NM. It is at 6000 feet so can be a little cool this time of year. Be sure to check out the Gila Cliff dwellings(road from Silver City is great). Also, going over Emory Pass to Hillsboro is one of the best stretches of pavement in New Mexico. Finally, if you want some dirt roads FR 150(think that is the number) runs from just east of Lake Roberts to the Very Large Array(think Jodie Foster and the film CONTACT). It splits the Gila and Aldo Leopold wilderness areas and is about 90 miles long.
  6. Kilter

Kilter As In "Out of ......."

Oddometer:
    Make sure the road to Gila Cliff dwellings is open before you go. Great 40 mile ride but I heard a bridge was out.

The LOEBMWR has a yearly ride to Glenwood just north of Silver City, NM. Some of the riders go to Glenwood via dirt from Benardo (just south of Albuquerque). Pass the VLA on the way. We come out at Mogollon. There is a large network of trails. Also there are great paved roads in this corner of the state.

The Continental Divide trail goes through this area. From Silver City you can go south as far as highway 10 on dirt. After that the Border Patrol prefers you stay on pavement.

East of Silver City is a great twisty road going to Hatch. VERY twisty, many switchbacks, deep shade.

NW of Silver City 78/191 going through Mule Creek is a wonderful road full of sweepers that drops down (or climbs) the escarpment separating Arizona from New Mexico. Great ride and views.

In Arizona you can take 191 north (formerly 666, name was changed a few years ago). VERY twisty. Great views, forests. Often referred to as the triple 6.
  7. parocket

parocket 1 hand

Oddometer:
    I guess Silver City Nm was the popular choice, but I was referring to Silver City Idaho. :dunno
  8. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    :poser
  9. Kilter

Kilter As In "Out of ......."

Oddometer:
    Where's Idaho? That in the US? :evil
  10. capt ed

capt ed Capt Ed

Oddometer:
    There is some great riding to be had in the Silver City Area, it will be late May to mid June before you will be able to ride that area. As much snow as we got this year it may be end of June before it clears off. Let us know when you are coming as I am sure we can find someone to play guide for you. We have just started a new Dual Sport club in Idaho and have nearly 100 new members.
    The site is Motoidaho.com, the club is Idaho Adventure Club. :freaky