Silver Linings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rs42sport, Jan 26, 2021.

1. rs42sport

rs42sport Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming up with a name for this thread is a lot harder than I thought. Anyhow, I just recently bought a 2007 Vespa GTS 250 with 6800 miles for less than $500. It needs some work but there wasn't a whole lot of damage to the scooter.

vespa1.jpg
    vespa3.jpg

Some minor scraps here and there, a few dents, and a cracked fender. All of the gauges, lights work and there are zero issues with the dash readout. The downsides to all this are that the brown key doesn't have the chip in it to start the bike. Also, I found that the main fuse was shade tree rigged for whatever reason that has yet shown itself and the injector was broken at the clip.

20210125_203214.jpg

Fun times are ahead but just got to get everything sorted. Oh and the only way to fix the key working is to either replace the ECU/ keys for $890 or to have the ECU/ throttle body reflashed for half the price. So later today I'm driving to scooter west to just do that.

20210125_211929.jpg

So stick around for the silver linings of fixing the Vespa
    DandyDoug, blacktruck, kpinvt and 5 others like this.
  2. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Score!!
    You did well on the price. Keep us posted on what problems you find with it.
    DandyDoug and rs42sport like this.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    This place has made chip keys for me in the past for a few Vespa. I don’t know what they can do without your ECU at their shop, but I do know it’s possible to have a key created from the bike vs altering the onboard hardware or programming. Maybe a call to them could get you a local reference in your area?

http://sosdiagnostics.com/ducati.html
    rs42sport likes this.
  4. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    This must mean you have a working key? You can clone that key instead of flashing the ECU.
    beRto. and rs42sport like this.
  5. rs42sport

Oddometer:
    yes the key is working to turn on, but it's missing the chip to start the bike.
    sro99 likes this.
  6. rs42sport

Oddometer:
    Thanks ScooterWest is my local shop to help with the ECU, the only way to do this properly is to reflash the ECU with a new chip key that will be put into my old master key so I don't have to change the locks.
  7. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    kpinvt and rs42sport like this.
  8. cheapeto

cheapeto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, great find at that price.
    rs42sport likes this.
  9. rs42sport

Oddometer:
    Okay so I finally got it to run, the ECU reset worked. Both of the tires were replaced with Michelin pure sport since the tires were originally from 2006.
    Picked up some roller weights and a new belt just on the chance that it was never touched.
    20210130_173109.jpg

What is everyone running psi in their tires? The Sava tires looked underinflated with weird ridge wear on the center of the tires.

20210129_185638.jpg
    blacktruck likes this.
  10. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find that 30-32 in the front and 33-35 give me the best handling. The only time I get a wobble is when the tire pressure is below 28. So I ignore the Piaggio recommendation of 26/29 for solo riding and go with the two up or slightly higher pressure.
  11. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All round tires wear out the middle way too soon, then you throw it away and buy another round tire?