Simbaboy's Easy Living (MI)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by simbaboy, Jun 12, 2015.

1. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sold my Africa Twin and have kept that $$ aside looking for that one bike that will "scratch the itch".
    Not been inspired by much but have been looking at the new 2022 KLR650 loaded ADV model.
    I even made an appointment to go see one in Ohio.
    But then I went for a ride on my WRR and what a buzz kill......I have no want or need for another bike as this one scratches the itch.
    It does what I ask of it on dirt........
    It does what I ask of it on asphalt.......
    And for any ADV 'dreams' I would only need different tires and a different rear sprocket.
    So the $$ kept aside stays put for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    More from the ride

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Vikingtazz and villageidiot like this.
  3. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Imu - there may be better off-road bikes, and better on-road bikes, but there isn't really a better dual sport than the WR250R.
    You would need to buy two new motorbikes to replace your WR, and even then you would regret the decision and either buy it back or get another one.

I'm wondering if your itch is more utility trailer upgrade than motorbike upgrade?
    Perhaps a nice 5x10 or 6x12 aluminum trailer with ramp to replace the little Harbour Freight trailer?
    villageidiot, WYO George and simbaboy like this.
  4. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Hello Kirk, you are right about the WRR.

As you know I don't ride the real technical dirt trails nor do I go super fast on the highways. A motorcycle is just a tool to get me there, riding with friends, taking pictures, etc.

I bet your T7 and Beta are keeping you fairly entertained.

I have three trailers:
    1.an enclosed trailer for 2 bikes and can carry tons of luggage at the same time. I sold my last tow vehicle (the remaining H2 got sold) so for now this trailer will continue to sit.
    2. A TSC open trailer that easily hauls two bikes, spare car tires, etc. This trailer gets the most use.
    3. The HF trailer that I only use with the Prius. It only can haul one bike and I try not to exceed 70 MPH.

The TSC trailer below gets the most use. In fact, I am off to Las Vegas next month and plan to take it hauling a street bike. Maybe, renting a bike in LV might be a simpler option.

[​IMG]
    villageidiot and Vikingtazz like this.
  5. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    villageidiot and WYO George like this.
  6. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Oh look at that - they have a Tenere700 to rent. :-)
    villageidiot and simbaboy like this.
  7. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
    That is what is pushing me into the renting direction.
    sealsam, villageidiot and Vikingtazz like this.
  8. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Tip for you: Those expanded steel ramps are like dragging a parachute behind you. When the trailer is empty you should be able to fold it forward against the trailer deck and you'll see a significant reduction in drag thus getting better mileage than with the ramp down. When towing a TS 5X10 behind my little Toyota pickup I gained back 2MPG of lost mileage just by not having the ramp up in the air like a parachute. I eventually sold that trailer to a customer to haul his ATV and we cut the ramp down to about the same height as the side walls. It was still enough ramp to load an ATV, but towed significantly better.

Just a thought. I never would have imagined the wind to have as strong a pull on mesh until I moved to Wyoming and discovered that even a chain link fence gate is a bear to handle when the wind is ripping at 60mph and chain link has a lot more open space than expanded steel grating.

On the bike rental, that's the way to go for a short trip. Try something different each day, maybe even rent something you'd never consider owning, just for the experience of it.
  9. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    1. Good point re: trailer gate but I wonder the work required to cut it. Maybe, just easier to take it off completely and use a regular aluminum ramp.
    2. Good point about renting a bike and getting the curiosity factor answered. The site I mentioned above has a T7 and various other bikes for rent including some BMWs and Triumphs. Since the rental is only for a day or two the cost differential will not be a factor.

I need to research Oct weather in the LV Area.

Imu
    villageidiot and WYO George like this.
  10. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I
    It should be pretty warm. I was there a couple years ago for the IRETS conference and demo rode several bikes during the AIMexpo. I've also been there at the end of January for several years at an annual conference and I'd have gladly ridden a bike had I had access to one while there.
    simbaboy likes this.
  11. WYO George

Oddometer:
    BTW, it’s snowing in Yellowstone today, supposed to snow in the Bighorns tonight and tomorrow.
    simbaboy and villageidiot like this.
  12. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    We've been to Vegas many times at the end of October to beginning of November (SEMA event) and have rented motorbikes.
    The weather is beautiful - perfect for riding, maybe a bit over-warm in the afternoons.
    Recommend you do the loop up to Mount Charleston.
    Fremont is the place to be for Oct 31st.
    simbaboy and WYO George like this.
  13. Bill Dirt

Bill Dirt Trooper

Oddometer:
    Loved my WR and regret selling it. I am holding out hope for a WR450R...
    simbaboy likes this.
  14. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I would buy a WR450R. No questions.
    Imu
  15. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    simbaboy likes this.
  16. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Love the tractor Imu.

My granddaughter Mila just had a bit of tractor time at Disney last week.

[​IMG]

:ricky
    villageidiot and simbaboy like this.
  17. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Super cool and she is precious.
    Imu
    villageidiot likes this.
  18. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    A friend asked if I could use a Thule roof top carrier.
    I knew my Daughter wanted to get one for her Subaru Outback.
    I thought there might be a part or two missing and took the box and railings to the Subaru Dealership ready to be robbed by the Dealer.
    They mounted it up for free. I tipped the Service Guy $15 as that is all I had in cash.
    Thule makes good quality stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Damn good looking Suby Imu!

You guys may need a road trip in that beauty....https://www.subiefest.com/select_region?f=/index?

Fun event that I did with a buddy last year.
    simbaboy likes this.
  20. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I got the Thule for free but J does not like it on her Subaru---"its too big, doesn't match the car and I can't open the hatch door". Sheesh! She wanted a sleek Thule and also be able to have a kayak up there at the same time. She has never kayaked in her life and does not own one! Now I gotta store the Thule in my enclosed trailer which already houses my own roof top carrier. I got some 1st World Problems, people.

Next year will plan on a Subiefest. Its amazing that she got her Outback at a very good price...you can't find a similar car today at any price. The Subaru Dealership had less than 10 cars on the lot ---some new some used. Not much price difference.

I have taken a day off today so will go for a ride today. Not sure whether to do dual sport or complete street. We will see.... Maybe, go for a root beer float but instead of a street ride on a Burgman take the WRR and ride mostly dirt roads. An A&W burger sounds good.

Off to LV next Friday or early Sat AM. I keep asking Karima if we should fly but she wants a drive.

Imu