Simpson update if you have just ridden it?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by allan11, Sep 16, 2018 at 4:19 AM.

1. allan11

allan11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am looking for any info on the Simpson if you have just been or there now.. has the track recovered a bit after the birdsville races people etc etc????

i plan to be at Birdsville friday lunchtime for a double and it still looks cold at night (7 degrees) and warm during the day (up to 30)..

if you are there this weekend i could be talked into a beer or two....
  2. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We went across mid August and all was good. We went down along the WAA Line, much quieter than the French Line. Distance from Mt Dare to Birdsville was about 580 klicks and I used about 39 litres of fuel and I carried 13 litres of water and used about 9. Weather was perfect, so not to hot and no head wind etc.

This was unsupported on a Kato 640Adv 2003 model with Steg Pegzs fitted, good for standing for long periods in the sand.

Have fun. :clap
    Kiwirich and a2zworks like this.
  3. allan11

allan11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok thanks.. i think some of the traffic from the birdsville races beginning of sept ripped up the track a bit.. the plan (subject to change) is transport the te510 to birdsville, do the double and come home..

i will have 42 lt of fuel and 11lt water..

how many days/nights crossing for you??
    Kiwirich likes this.
  4. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It took us three good days and we camped out for the two nights. We had a couple of newbies with us that did a great job of tackling the conditions but it did slow us down a little bit. The French Line straight across is obviously the shortest on quickest.[​IMG]

The old girl in desert trim.
    darren70, Angry Pete and Russ like this.
  5. allan11

allan11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice bike and thanks for the update.. yep doing french line at this stage..

i have a plan on days/nights but will be just happy to get across and back to birdsville.. hopefully will be at Poeppels corner for friday night camp... after that i will see what happens.. i am solo but have done everything i can to the bike to ensure a successful ride.
    Kiwirich and Dick0 like this.
  6. mountandsea

mountandsea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went across French Line solo last month on 690 - If the races had any impact I don't think there would be any recovery anyway as it was chewed up a bit beforehand - compared to 2 years ago in my opinion - either way you will have a great adventure. cheers
    allan11 likes this.
  7. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Heading out to Birdsville 2nd October with @Kiwirich , might do a copule of days riding the Simpson if it's not to hot..
    Dick0 and a2zworks like this.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Riding or trailer to Windorah?
  9. allan11

allan11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dukehunt have a good trip...

i am leaving soon and bike in the back of the car all the way to birdsville.. double crossing and home.. hopefully no problems this time.