Since SongDog is closed...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dyvking, Oct 8, 2004.

1. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Is there going to be a repeat of last Spring's Advrider gathering in California? Last year I managed to cruise out for the afternoon on my now excommunicated KLR (boy, I miss that bike) and meet a few of the folks, pick up a downed 1150GS, and generally wish I had stayed the night. I still remember thinking, "geez.. I gotta plan better so I can stay next year!".

What's the consensus? Will there be a 'next year' ? I have to say that of the folks I met last go-round, there just isn't a better bunch. I for one would sure like to see this become an annual event.

Ideas?
  2. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    I vote that we do something similar next year. There are other places aruond as well. I will chat wit some of the locals and make suggestions.
  3. dyvking

Oddometer:
    Dan..
    You are one of the ones that I refer to as such a great local group. I thoroughly enjoyed hooking up with you and the rest out Cuyama way last month.

I'm up for any place in Cal for a similar event.

Yosemite?
    Death Valley?
    Bishop?
    Camp Scheideck?
    some KOA somewhere?

The cameraderie and sharing of ideas, plus a little drinkin' is worth the ride.

I'm kinda thinkin that a ride in December/January just to piss off the right-coasters might be justified.
  4. Superannuated

Superannuated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fine idea to me.

Superannuated
  5. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well there will be Death Valley but I've been thinking about something for April like Song Dog as well. Sam Buca and I talked about it today at lunch too.

I don't think Schiedeck could handle that large of a group. Walt, you know any of the ranchers out there?

David
  6. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    About a year ago I happened upon Jalama Beach. It is located here: N34 30.592 W120 30.058. It is off Highway 1 just south of Lompoc.Absolutely beautiful. If I remembered correctly it will hold quite a few people. I will have to go back to find out who owns it and whether they will take large groups. If it is a state beach it is probably dry and that will rule it out.
    Worth to go and have a look though.
  7. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    We had GREAT fun did we not? Still have not fixed the bike, just have not gotten round to it yet. Leg still feels a little funny from the fall. Maybe a good idea to gho and visit a doc some time.

Death Valley the end of January is a must. Mark your diary for that one.
    Yosemite can be very icy during winter. I will stay away on a bike.
    We will find a good pleace the start the next riding season.

See you,
  8. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just rolled in from a weekend with the old Harley Group BUT

We could do Lake Issabella. They have a campground that's open year round, has showers and there are stores and a coffee shop about 10 minutes away. I'd need to look into a group site if there is one available but anytime from now until April or so is off season for up there...

Stay tuned...

Gerg
  9. dyvking

Oddometer:
    One windy-ass mutha in April out there.
  10. dyvking

Oddometer:
    Yes, but for the same reasons Songdog is closed, none of them are going to support a group of bikers.
  11. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    There's some pretty good riding up that way too... :nod
  12. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    Songdog was closed by a bunch of ravers at a huge trancendental music show. I doubt we're more than a couple dozen bikers, surely Scheindeckawhozy can handle us ?

There's always Hope Valley in the Sierras... April is a bit early for there, however

Death Valley Daze should remain Death Valley Daze, its really a IBMWR gathering. Already scheduled for mid January.

I'm going to the MotoGP races July 8-10, so that definately leaves spring wide open for a 2-3 day weekend getaway. Is there any BLM type camping in the Corrizo Plains area ?
  13. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    There where some 60 people at Songdog last year.
  14. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    ok, 5 dozen :rofl

Duh, I should know, I helped organize that trip then had to cancel :cry

I wonder how many were brought out because of the Rev's fine BBQ ?
  15. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    SongDog was a keeper and due for a regular annual event. Good choice it was. I quite like the idea about Lake Issabella. Waiting for Greg to come back. Not sure we wil be able to get the catering we had at SongDog, but seeing some of the culinary skills displayed here on the board and in practice, I am sure we will be able to put something together.
    There are people who provide a BBQ service. They normally have a trailer all rigged out and they cook from there. Something to investigate if Issabella is a good girl.
  16. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about Calif.Hot Springs area. I went to a dual sport ride their a few years back. Great riding lots to explore. I forgot the name of the campground we stayed at. It had a big grassy area. Any one in that area know the name of that campground.
  17. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    I'm not near any maps (and too lazy to web one up), so I dunno offhand where C.Hot Springs is... is that a dry area? otherwise spring is kinda iffy weather-wsie.
  18. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ca Hot Springs is about 50 miles NE of Bakersfield. 30 miles E of Porterfield as the crow flies. South end of the Sequoia National Monument.

Spring weather?? That I don,t know any thing about.
  19. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    ah, thats in a pretty arid belt, although they can get significant snow at higher elevations...

what about us road warriors? hopefully the access is such that its not -gs-with-knobby-or-better-only- ? And there's ready access to food and drink and such within a short range?
  20. dapolrbear

dapolrbear Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like Lake Isabella too, lots of nice roads around. :thumb