Since SongDog is closed...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dyvking, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I was just at Lake Isabell Sat I did not have time to explore but There is a lot of places to check out I think this is a great idea and I'm sure Gerg can show us a thing or two From there Its easy ride to the Kennady meadows or the Mojave desert route 178 comes out near Jawbone There are a lot of neat roads for the street guys too
  2. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry fellas, haven't had the time to run up to Issabella yet. Will do in the next couple of months though. I figure an April event up there would be pretty nice. The windy weather doesn't really kick up until later in the summer.

I'll try to keep this on the front burner. We can chat about it a bit more at Death Valley. Sure hope they get some road repair done. MOST of the good stuff is currently closed :cry

Gerg
  3. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    I'm with you, Greg. Isabella is looking like a great place. Good access for anyone in the West, lots of off-road around, 395, Death Valley, it's all there.
    Let's do it!
  4. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    Here is a good web site for Lake Isabella:

http://www.kernvalley.com/news/lakecamp.htm

There are various group areas - more suitable for us so that we can do what we want and not get shut down at 9:00pm.

French Gulch - 100 people @ $200 per night
    Title Creek - 4 different group areas ranging from $100 - $175 per night
    Live Oak - 100 people @ $200 per night

These group areas have fire pits, tables and other types pf cover. Also have shower and flush toilet facilities. There are stores reasonable near by.

I like the idea of having someone come in to do a BBQ for us on one of the nights - Saturday night probably. That typically runs around $15-25 per head, but I do not know whether they will come out to the lake. Note to self, "Find out".

I would imagine that the total cost for two nights and a barbeque for around 70 people could be in the region of $35.

End of March / April is probably a good time to do it as Greg suggested. I will create a poll to see how many people are interested so that we can start making arrangements.

My bike should be fixed over the next couple of weekends and then I shall take a ride out there to look at the three group areas shown above. I will bring back some photos to convince people that there is some modicum of civilization.

The lake is around 320 miles from San Francisco, 150 miles from Los Angeles and around 300 miles from Las Vegas.
  5. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I think I'd rather camp away from the lake, maybe somewhere north of Kernville instead?... The Lake area is going to be popular with the fishing-n-powerboating crowd. Now, I've never been up the road north of Kernville, Sierra Way aka route 521 ? My map shows a few camps up that ways, Camp Owens, Rivernook, probably others? I don't know how far that road is suitable for us roadbike types either... Ok, Rivernook is a big RV campground, never mind. Camp Owens seems to be a ghost of something old, there's nearly no mention on the web. Lots of NF campgrounds a mile or three north along the river, like Gold Ledge, Fairview, etc.

yeah, I suppose that puts us farther from stores'n'bars, damnit. :shrug
  6. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    here's satellite views of the camping areas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(note these are not to the same scale... I forgot to put a scale rod on the first and am too lazy to start over)
  7. CraigTransalp

CraigTransalp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We should camp at Balinger Cyn OHV in New Cuyama. Only several miles from Song Dog. Nice main camp with a log cabin if it gets cold. Good cook-out facilities. Good steak restraurant and gas is in Cuyama.
    We can trick the GS riders to come ride the Tinta Trail with us too!
  8. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    can that handle 50-70 of us OK ?

of course,without the draw of the Rev's fine catered BBQ, I dunno if we'll get that many. :freaky
  9. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    Where the stupidest people on earth run things
    Mountain & River Adventures has a campground with showers a couple of miles north of Kernville. The guy that runs it, John Stallone, is a reasonable fellow. He's got a nice compound with a BBQ setup and meeting area. His primary business is river rafting, climbing & MTB tours, but maybe he would be interested in something like this.

Last time I was there, Rivernook said no motorcycles. :fitz
  10. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    kewl, they even do catered food for their raft trips includnig BBQ's... sure, I bet they'd host us, especially if its not river season and they have space. those riverrats know how to throw a good party :)

:freaky
  11. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you're going to scout things Gerg. I have limited time since MrsToad is prego... but I should still be able to sneak a few days of riding in.
  12. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've delt with these guys for a mountain bike trip. Good guys, they might be the ones to help put this together. Their store is right in Kernville. It's a great area, dirt and pavement
  13. Steve-O

Steve-O Jackass Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Camp Owens is a boys' camp run by the CA Department of Corrections. It's their last stop before Lerdo....

On second thought, it just might be the perfect place for the likes of this group! :freaky

Steve-O
  14. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    muahahahahahahah.

the rafter place sounds awesome, especially because the proprieter does BBQs to order already, and I prefer rivers to lakes as a camping scene.
  15. CraigTransalp

CraigTransalp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
  17. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Yep -

[​IMG]
  18. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    I am chatting with The Mayor and Greg to possibly take a ride up there this weekend. Scout the place out, take a few pictures and look at the options.

Nothing confirmed yet. Anyone else interested?

I am out of town for the rest of this week and may have limited access to the 'net.
  19. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might be out for this weekend, got a cold coming on :cry
  20. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    This weekend is turning out to be bad for riding out to Isabella for me.

Work really sucks, but at least it feeds my habits.