Since SongDog is closed...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by dyvking, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok... I'm stupid. No pics of the campground :dunno

But there wasn't ANYONE there. The board says it's now $17 a night:eek1 . Up to 6 people per site. Doesn't say anything about vehicles. You CAN reserve a site.
    Hereis a link to the campground. If we got this thing sorted out soon we could reserve damn near the whole campground. Note the different loops. If we were to snag one loop we could keep things close together.

I'll go back and take some pictures, HONEST :evil

Gerg
  2. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    What, memory card full ? :evil :fitz :razor :moon
  3. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:

Warning
    When you reserve one of these sites, it will not be a site specific reservation. You will be assigned a site when you arrive at the campground.

phluque that noise
  4. Gerg

Oddometer:
    I'll remind you THAT is exactly the same situation at Death Valley. We seem to work it out there.

Hey Mayor :fitz

I'll be up there tomorrow to take pictures and stop by the area HQ to inquire about grouping us together. Damn, I'll have to ride up there... K hasn't been riden in a while :evil
  5. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    I still like the idea of the rafter campsite up a mile or 3 north of Kernville on the river.... as someone said, they do BBQ already, and I'll take riverbank camping over lakeside camping any day....

-jrp
  6. Blair

Blair .

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    Noobie to the list with a BMW Adventure. Not sure if any are larger enough, but there are some great camp grounds up HWY 1 between San Luis and Carmel. I would love to attend something as I am the only person I know iin my area that has a GS.
    Blair
    San Luis Obispo Ca
  7. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    long time Advrider AceRph is in Paso Robles, I believe. I think there are more your way.

this is a march camp we're talking about, we need somewhere thats going to be dry :D
  8. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    Where the stupidest people on earth run things
    PM me Blair if you wanta ride.

Roger
  9. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    Hey Daniel... I want to go too!!! How have you been???
    OURAY is now just a distant memory as I am back in "freaking boring miserable..." Florida... This trip covered... 27000 miles... amazingly... and already working on the next one... It seems like you took a dump on the bike? if so... glad that you are OK... We sure had a good time in Colorado...
    Still laying the grounds to move out of here permanently... that will take some time... maybe in a couple of months... How about a "travelling motorcycle Chef"...??? with "gigs" all over the country.... southern States in the winter and Northen States in the summer? With so many websites... riders... I will work for donations!!! :rofl
    You be well... and stay in touch...
    Ara
  10. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    Ara, good hearing from you. Have you paid your Ouray performance award? It was good meeting you in person!
    I saw an ad the other day for a restaurant looking for an executive chef here in LA (Hollywood / Burbank area). It was in Monster.com. They are available. The riding here in Southern California is really awesome. You should get your butt out here.
    Yes I toook a little dump with the bike. I overextended myself on a dirt road during a group ride. Nothing serious, about $300 worth of damage to the bike and I had a bruise the size of Africa along my left side.
    I can just see it "Ara, the Traveling Motorcycle Chef", the best engine baked cuisine around. What does Filet Mignon taste cooked on the bikes exhaust pipe?:rofl
    Keep well and let me know when you are in the area.
  11. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    Greg, how about looking at the sites that take groups, where we can have the whole site for ourselves. That will be cheaper than the $17 per night. I listed a few of them earlier.
  12. Gerg

Oddometer:
    Ok, I give...

I took a look at French Gulch Group Campground. It's 250 per night. That's 500 for Friday and Saturday. So at 17 per night that's roughly 15 sites. However, there is a $5 per extra person per site at the $17 rate. Not sure but you MIGHT be able to get by with the first two under the $17 rate.
    One more thing about the group. If someone wants to come a day early or stay a day later, it's only $500 to do so in the Group Campground.

It's too damn confusing. I quit...

Group Campground
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of slope that doesn't show in the picture.

Regular Campground
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are plenty of "improved campgrounds" that have no showers, are further from town, and pit toilets. They're either free or $5 a night. Some have water, some don't. Most are the pack your garbage out style too.

Like I said, I give.

There IS one more option. Grumpy Bear's over in Kennedy Meadows. I know some folks who have stayed there and said it was OK. They are closed right now and there is no phone that I know of... I'll do some searching.

Gerg
  13. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the legwork greg :thumb - I don't care if the site is primitive, pack in pack out, etc... I am used to backpacking so as long as there a pit toilet so i don't have to dig a hole with a hangover i am cool. :deal

If it is pack in pack out i will drink more bourbon instead of beer :evil It's not the site that is important it is the company :nod
  14. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    It is purdy out there!!!! Thanks for feedback, Greg. I wish I can take a break and take a ride out there.

As Dick said, the company is what it is all about.

Maybe that rafting place Pierce was talking about should be investigated more?
  15. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    That was Rodger-err-AceRph's suggest back on page 3, actually
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1023153&postcount=29
  16. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    So, I took a ride out to this place yesterday to see what it is all about. I like it a lot. The little hamlet of Kernville is about two miles away and has all amenities. Here are some pics:

The general camping area:

[​IMG]

One of the camp spots:
    [​IMG]

The Kern river just a stone's throw away:
    [​IMG]

They even have a Jo Momma bus:
    [​IMG]

I asked the owner about quiet times and he said that he will make us food, bring in some kegs and if we do not break things or cause too much of a disturbance to the other people we can party till the cows come home.

John, the owner, will create a quote for 40 people on Thursday, and 80 people on Friday and Saturday night. A light dinner (Tacos, etc) for Friday night and a full tri-tip BBQ on Saturday night. That is for some time end of March, beginning April.

I will share the pricing with you.
  17. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    sounds like JoMomma kinda place! wooot :thumb

eagerly awaiting the quote... :ear
  18. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Hey Blair..
    I'm down in Santa Maria.. not far. I'm not much of a hard core off-roader anymore.. but I DO ride a lot off road.. just slower now!
  19. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    I got the quote for the food only just a short while ago.

They will do a "light" dinner (Tacos, etc) on Friday for $12 per person and a "Tri-tip, beans, corn, salad" type BBQ on Saturday night for $15pp.

The bummer is that they want a 50% deposit 2 months in advance with the other 50% a month in advance. Their cancellation policy is quite strict. I know it is very difficult to get commitment for a group of us that far in advance.

The camp sites are $30 per site for up to 6 people per site. I am not sure how we will fit 6 tents into those sites.

What do you guys think, something to pursue further?:ear
  20. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I'm in. :thumb

I think we need to pick a date and post an event notice.

We'll need GS routes: anybody know what time of year the FS roads are typically open up there?

mully