Single 320MM rotor and fancy brake on the 950?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Nov 27, 2004.

1. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    If its in the KTM Hard Equipment catalog it definately is a Beringer kit (with a KTM logo on it).
  2. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    On www.ktm.at, under Power Parts, there's even a six pot Beringer now, gold anodized. That would change the weight vs. braking power equasion some more. :thumb
  3. RoadMinge

RoadMinge Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ricardo

I have the solution for your loading problems, it is called a Ford Freestar Minivan, it will carry all of your bulky shit without a problem and as far as I know there have been no broken swing arms reported on this model, go on you know it makes sense

Shaun
  4. BigMac

BigMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Magura makes a Supermotard braking kit designed specifically for the 950. Kit includes a single 320mm SS full-floater, new fork leg dropouts including a left side 1-piece forging for mounting the radial caliper, radial 4-pot brake caliper powder coated fire-engine red with white "Magura" block lettering, sintered brake pads. I personally have just 2 problems with this kit: the 'look at me' garish painted caliper and the 990 Euro pricetag, not including new single brakeline...can you say OUCH!! I have not used this setup or even seen it in person, I did see it in catalog at local shop. They also recommend it only be used with Magura or similar radial master cylinder using 16mm bore, that will set you back another 250 Euro.

Braketech-Ferodo also offers Supermotard single kits at prices considerably less than Magura, although nothing at present for 950. They offer 320mm full floaters in ductile iron and SS that fit 950 hub flange. The SS is the wiser choice for off-roaders as the softer ductile iron could suffer serious damage in mud, dust and grit, not to mention their tendency to rust if bike is not ridden on very consistent basis.

I suspect it would not be difficult to fabricate a new caliper mount given that several KTM's use same 48mm USD tubes in a single front setup. Unless you use something exotic like the previously mentioned 6-pot calipers, and why would you choose such a massive caliper for off-road when you're trying to lose unsprung mass, a master cylinder swap (16mm vs 19mm stock) is probably a wise choice, it will reduce effort at lever and improve feel/modulation. In fact, I'm going to be making the switch myself when my swingarm gets repaired simply because the improved feel/response of a single caliper is more important than some minor improved ultimate braking power offered by the OEM dual setup that's not even usable off-road.

Ricardo: While I too am among the few to have experienced a failed swingarm, I really do not feel this is due to a design flaw. Are you still using the OEM spring? If so, upgrade the spring rating, particularly the way you load your bike. Have you not experienced similar issues on your GS's? I don't know what year that R1100GS is but I've cracked the tranny case on a '95 and a '98GS. Personally, the KTM swingarm failing during a hard bottomed-out rear suspension hit is far for desirable than a frame failure...at least its cheaper, easier to repair and allowed me to relatively safely ride over 100 miles home. The tranny casing failures (basically a frame failure on BMW GS design) have been FAR more prevalent and disabling than the KTM swingarm issues. Now if after my swingarm is repaired and a new heavier rate spring is installed, the piece fails again...yes I will be pissed...but I'm personally witholding judgement at present. For my usage, the KTM is a CONSIDERABLY more capable off-road travelling bike...and I have owned 4 GS's, loved every one inspite of their few faults. In a perfect world, yes i would prefer the spingarm be constructed of Cr-Mo steel or even Ti($$$!!) but this would of course add considerable unsprung weight and perhaps noticably effect handling/performance. Given the alternative choices, including the R12GS, I'll accept the 950's few flaws as growing pains, its still head and shoulders above the capabilities of any other bike in its class. take care
  5. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    tell me about it,,,

after this crash I decide was time to learn how to drive a car..(I still don't know, but maybe soon that will change)

all this happend because i did not plan to well and the person taking my stuff to the rally deside not to go a few days before the trip(Not you dave) so the only thing i can do was to carry everything I have left at my house my self..

You are right is about time i do geta 4 wheel vehicle.
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Man BigMac you give me such hope when i saw your posting about the spring problem,,i think (after thinking about it and taking with some experts) you are "right on the money"

at the moment I'm dipleted of founds but hopefully soon i will be able to update the suspension on my bike to a much better dirt setup..

about the GS's I never have rear end troubles with them and i colect more than a "Few" miles with them,but i'm also aware of their failures,,hell the famous jean luc abandon ship after his swing arm broke in half at saline valley...

so far is more a psicological issue(I do know I'm a "little" neurotic) so please understand that you can not have a simbiotic relationship if you don't trust your partner
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Nope that sounds far to complicated,,no need for a radial brake with the long legs of the ADVenture,,I bet will be more drag on the rotors when the flex than with the convencional sistem

acording to some sourses(I'm sure he can post here if he want to) Sommer's offer a machine(Shave for clearance with the spokes) Brembo 4 piston caliper,,that sound like a good and some how cheap solution if you are able to find on on e-bay or something and machine it your self,,I also trust goldline brembo's with my life does things are ultra reliable and trouble free,,yeah as long the master cilinder is compatible...

just remenber I just post this for ALL to learn,,I'm still think of running the two rotors for sometime

Upss I respond to your answer before i read this part,,you are totally right,,is pointless to have UltraSuperMega brakes on a bike primary use for the dirt, when hyper sencitive brakes are more a liavility than a asset..

thanks for all the imput,your comments are very sound and with a lot of wisdom
  8. d0gWateR

d0gWateR Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer:
    Dead Sexy Too! Click here for larger 330kb.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!
  9. wesfnw

wesfnw portland,or

Oddometer:
  10. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    that i did not understand
  11. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    I don't see the 950 mentioned anywhere... :patch

http://62.80.23.116/english/supermoto/supermoto.htm

Doesn't make much sense for Magura to develop a full Radial supermoto setup for the 950 either I think. :scratch
  12. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    i got the name right this
    time is call

Motomaster
    [​IMG]
  13. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Rbott

Rbott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a custom mounting bracket or an off the shelf item. The setup looks great. How does it compare to the stock twin disc setup? and the stock single disc setup?

Ryan
  16. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    Bump...

I'm about on page 22 of reading through Orange Crush and this post is woefully in need of updating. The brake kit on Ricardo's bike is dope but since he's the only one who's done it we need some feedback here. How does it work? Has anyone else done this? What kit is used? the 640 or the 525? How is this single compared to stock?

Answers please!

G
  17. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Where the heck has Ricki been anyway
  18. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Flanny and some others went single disk, just used the stock caliper, IIRC some want a bigger disk. Don't know if the setup is dope, but Flanny's a dope, for sure. :lol3 I think the consensus is that one stock brake is great off-pavement and a little less than optimal on tar. You might try searching Flanny's posts, or maybe Greg Minor's -- you went single, didn't you Greg?
  19. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

I'm still waiting on my 320mm rotor to show up.

One this is for sure. the 950 caliper is slightly different than the 640 Adv Caliper. (The holes for mounting to the float pins are closer together). I learned this the hard way by ordering the 320mm caliper mount for the supermotard, and the 950 caliper does not fit on it.

So...The plan right now is to steal the caliper off my 525, and put it on the 950 with the 320mm mount, and put the 950 caliper and mount on my 525...

We'll see how it goes!
  20. legs

legs Guest

In Jimmy's final hurrah from Cycle World, his article mentioned that they changed to a single front brake. I'm sure he mentioned what he did, and it did not sound complicated at all. And, I'm pretty sure that Scott Hardin's bike had a single disk on it too (in McCall at the Adventure Rally). If I remember correctly, they used simple KTM available parts.