Single 320MM rotor and fancy brake on the 950?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Nov 27, 2004.

1. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    attention... if you take off uno brake caliper.... will be better to change the brake pump.... with an EXC one...

the 950 brake pump is made for two disc.... with just one is too powerfull... so block too much...

Dakar bike has EXC pump...
  2. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    That would only be the case if you were to use the stock caliper. The caliper that we're using is a 4-piston caliper which is the same number of pistons in the stock 950 setup. I think a radial Brembo would still enhance the bike but I'll see what I think of this first.

I'm glad MVzee has finally replied here and has some miles on his set up. There is no worry about a floating rotor "not floating" if it gets dirty. Many MX bikes are beginning to use floating rotors. It's just a very small amount that is flexed within the button that holds the rotor.

I'd like to hear how MVzee feels about the strength compared to stock, how the bike feels with a passenger etc. Any regrets?

Gregor
  3. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    I've noticed Yamaha and Kawasaki are using floating front rotors. I still don't understand why they would do this when it's a given sand/dirt WILL get into the void and limit it's function. Maybe they're sealed in some way I don't know about? :dunno

In any case, maybe someone more up on this can explain why the KTM Duke comes with floating rotors for street use, but when they suited it up to compete in the 2005 Paris - Dakar it now has non-floating rotors. :scratch

[​IMG]
  4. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    I'm no brake wiz, but I had two Dukes: one of MY 2000 with the same type (fixed) rotor that's on your Dakar racer here, and a floating caliper.

From MY 2004 the Duke has a fixed caliper and a floating rotor. So it's either a fixed rotor with a floating caliper or the other way around. They're not floating both, nor are they both fixed. Does this help? Thought so... :freaky

[​IMG]
  5. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I haven't really put much thought into it but does KTM prefer floating calipers?

I think the KX's starting using floating rotors in 90, I know my 91 had 'em.
    I've never heard of dirt/mud being an issue with the rotors, other than going to solid/non slotted disks in heavy mud.
    I think, for the most part, the clearance around the buttons is minimal and whatever debris did get in there would be shaken loose by the constant braking/pounding forces.

Anybody have any input into the floating rotors/floating caliper pro's/cons
  6. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    Not really, 'cause the fact one is always floating and the other is not is well known, but thanks for trying. :thumb
  7. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm getting my info from your boyfriend Curtis. :D I was wanting to pimp up the 525 a little more and go with some trick looking floating rotors, but he recommended against it for the reasons I've stated.

Damn, you Brits are stooopid! :lol3
  8. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I still don't see the problem, when do you plan on getting it dirty :lol3
  9. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I saw a little dust on one of his bike ONCE :huh
  10. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    I have a Duke II too (couldn't help myself) and it's not actually floating or fixed. It's that cheap in between world of "semi-floating" where the rotor has laser cuts allowing it to flex a limited amount while not being truly seperate from the carrier.

As for why a Dakar bike wouldn't have a floating rotor I would guess because there aren't a lot of pavement sections. Rotors float to allow more pad contact, self centering and no warping due to being pulled and heated at the same time. You can't heat a front brake to the same degree on the dirt as you can on the pavement so therefore it's not as neccessary.

The 950 is an interesting mixed use bike. Someone like Flanny or Lewis won't use the bike on pavement very much and therefore makes a compromise on losing some brake force in return for less unsprung wieght and therefore better handling. I'm looking to see if I can have both.

Gregor
  11. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Nah 'ah, photos please :lol3
  12. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    OUCH! That hurts. :cry
  13. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:ksteve :ksteve :ksteve

Now, stop play'n on the internet and get busy with my seat. I gotta win the "Bling Is My Thing" at the KTM competition in Cloudcroft, NM, at the end of next week! :evil
  14. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Hey Gregor, we at least share a taste in bikes, not in bike knowledge. :wink: Before I posted the Duke brake comment, I should have walked out, since we have two Dukes in our parking lot-a 1997 Duke I and a 2004 Duke II. Apart from slight differences in the bottom sides of the forks, the mounting of the (identical looking) Brembo is ... identical. So on the older one the disc is flexing only indeed. On the newer bike, the disc is self-adjusting. Both with a fixed caliper.

Thanks for sharing this. Amazing though how it works, that flexing thing. It sounds like a halfway decent job at best, but it brakes like a maniac :thumb
  15. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anybody gone any further with this yet?? what does it take to get the galfer 320mm floating disc to work on the left side with galfer green pads and stock caliper? looks like maybe a different caliper mount??
  16. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    I intend to put the 950SE Master Cylinder on my 950 Adv with a 320mm rotor and caliper bracket...

I might even run the standard disc with the 950SE master cylinder first just to see....
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am running a 320mm and stock Master on my SE....

[​IMG]
  18. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    What is that brake kit from? I am looking for a kit to put on my 950Adv. I fitted the SE Master Cylinder and am currently using the standard 300mm front disc. Braking strenght and feel is good on the dirt but lacking on the road with the 19/17" wheel set.

Joe

19. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    www.qtmi.com good luck....:clap
  20. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    I have sent them an e-mail, however do you recall the model/Part number for that kit? It looks sensational.

Joe