Single 320MM rotor and fancy brake on the 950?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

no kit number...they will walk you through the options....good people...
  2. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Warning Joe !!!!!!

This may not work with a spoke wheel. The spokes on a 21 or a 19 may hit the caliper. Mag wheels are totally different.
  3. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Rightamundo!

I tried to put my KTM "Braking" master from my 520 EXC motard on my SE, and it didn't clear the spokes. To much "meat" on the inside. Would have been nice if the whole assembly would have just swapped out. The mounting is the same!

[​IMG]

But, I've gotten used to using engine braking on the SE when on the street!:lol3 :lol3
  4. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    thanks for the heads up.. the more I look the more I think I am going to have to go the complete kit same as you Rory!!! $$$$$$$$$
  5. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just talked to my dealer. One of his customers found that the poor braking is the fault of the inadequate master cylinder. He did some stops on a deserted road at different speeds and recorded the stopping distances. Stock, the distances varied greatly at each speed. He simply removed the right rotor and calipers then changed the brake line. The results were that the bike with the single disk stopped at or better than the dual disk distances but the feel was better and the results were more consistent.
  6. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats exactly my observation with the SE, after putting an adv master cylinder.
    It is a well known mod in my country.
  7. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:

On what bike? With what M/C? With what disc?
  8. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 990ADV, not sure what year. The only mod was to remove the right disk/caliper and install a new brake line.
  9. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    And he no doubt bled the system with new brake fluid before making his test, right?

There's your improvement.

I'm sorry, not trying to be a dick and I realize you're only the messenger here, but removing one disc and caliper and making no other changes cannot possibly make the brakes better or make the bike stop better. It's mechanically impossible. He'd have gotten the exact same results by thoroughly bleeding his brakes first.
  10. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will ask the dealer. But I have heard from other people as well that the existing master cylinder is not adequate for the twin disk configuration.
  11. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:

The difference between the SE and the ADV m/s is that the ADV has a bigger piston. For a given amount of pull the SE moves 2 pistons. The ADV moves 4. To use a ADV pump on a SE would result in a leaver that dous not travel far and goes hard quick. It would feel wooden.

Can someone tell us the sizes of these pistons?

The SE would be 12mm or 13mm. to improve braking power and feel you would go down to 11mm.

It has just occurred to me that we are talking about the opposite here. You would replace the ADV m/s with a pump of a SE........ YES :clap This could yield good results BRILIANT !!!!!!

This is what they are talking about Chuckracer:lol3

But this does not explain the single disk????????????? I am confused.
  12. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard the Adv is 15 or 16mm. Don't know for sure. What I don't get is the Adv m/c pushes four pistons. Switch to the 320mm disc and a 4 piston caliper and you change the m/c to the SE one? I never tried the Adv m/c with the new disc/rotor just going off of what people have said. The SE one does have great feel to it with the 320mm.
  13. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate:D

Moto master designed the caliper to work with the standard enduro/mx pump. No doubt they did not want the consumer to have the added cost of a new pump on top of the $800 odd set up cost........ Smart marketing:lol3

I would imagine it was done by minimizing the fluid area, and 4 small pistons. I still have my SE pump on my 320mm set up as it works so well I can not justify the added cost of the 11mm radial pump. But I do lust after it:lol3

Every time I think to get it I think it is only cast............ I would like a billet set up clutch and brake..... but expensive Fuckkkkkkkk. So I just keep putting it of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer: