Single F650 Twin worth it?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by daemon, Dec 1, 2008.

1. daemon

daemon ZA rider

Oddometer:
    I am currently riding a Honda CBX250 twister, doing mostly commuting on the highway, 50km one way. However I want to start doing longer trips, 300km an onwards and do some offroad riding perhaps do the GS challenge etc. I can JUST JUST afford the new twin F650, and then it still needs a engine cover bash guard and a larger screen, so the new 800gs will probarly be a better buy, however then it's out of my price range, so thinking buy the twin 650 and do the mods over time. However the old single 650 are quite cheap at the moment with lots of bargains. What mileage can the old single handle before one would need to open the engine? Would it be ok..for two up riding on say a 400km trip?
    Will it do 140/150km/h easily? Starting to think it might be a better buy, but I need to know if it will last me two to three years, before I upgrade to a bigger bike.
  2. jdaniele

jdaniele Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    2003 F 650 GS. No problems at all except normal wear items, tires, sprockets and chains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Mojaveboxer

Mojaveboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Save your pennies and get the 800. You will be happier in the long run IMO.

GF has a F 650. Can't see going two up on that thing, EVER.

Off road capabilities are okay for her. Can see her moving up to an 800 in about two yrs. Slightly heavier bike but, much more capability with the power the 800 brings. Bigger motor also will make it nicer for two up.
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moved to Beasts, GSpot is about the boxer GS.
  6. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    My wife and I do two-up on my '01 F650GS, and it's never been a problem. Sure, it's no K12LT, but it handles highway miles with both of us just fine.

For the record, she's pretty small, and I'm pretty tall (but slender). I weigh a shade under 200 lbs. right now, she weighs around 115 or so.
  7. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being strapped for $$, and riding two up tells me you should look for a clean used F650 single. They are tough as nails and are much more amenable to two up riding. The F800/650 is cramped in that regard. Also, you are moving up to a significantly heavier bike...so some tipovers will happen...but on a used bike...there's less trauma. It sounds like you do not live in the USA, so I won't suggest the Kawasaki KLR650, which are very reasonably priced used, and usually are accessorized well, and can be found with low mileage (25,000 miles).
  8. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    How long do you ride when you take a trip? If your answer is something like 100 miles, you will be fine with the single. If the answer is 250miles or more you need a twin. The problem is not that the 650 cant make the distance, its that at 75 with two people on it riding gets "old" in a short time. Frankly if I was buying a bike for two up and I did not have a lot of $$$ I would be looking at a BMW 1100 or 1150 twin. I have owned several BMW's since 1989. K100's R100's R80's I have only bought one new (that my 1200GS). I have never sold them before they have 100k miles. The bikes easily last 10 -15 years. One that old is nicely broken in. Look in your local paper, one will pop up soon. If you want to know what a fair price is, motorcycle consumer news has a blue book on its web page. Dave
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    The F800 is only 20 pounds lighter than the R1200GS
  10. daemon

daemon ZA rider

Oddometer:
    Right went to my local BMW dealer, and saw a yellow 2005 1200GS with 52000km's on for a bargain price, cheaper than the 650 and 800, so filled in the financing papers for it, let's hope everything goes well ;)
  11. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    F800GS <TABLE class=alternatinRowsTable id=dimensions_spec_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=rowA><TD class=propName scope=row>Weight - Dry</TD><TD class=wide>392 lbs</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

R1200GS Adventure<TABLE class=alternatinRowsTable id=dimensions_spec_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=rowA><TD class=propName scope=row>Weight - Dry</TD><TD class=wide>491 lbs</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I copied and pasted these weights directly from the BMW website. They dont post the R1200GS weight (non-adventure) but I know that the weight difference between the two 1200GS are very close.

For SURE it's more than 20 pounds heaver than F800GS.
  12. daemon

daemon ZA rider

Oddometer:
    The bike is a 2005 yellow 1200g with 52000km's on. That too high for a 2nd hand bike? looks like it's in mint condition.