Single rear shock bikes

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by handirifle, Sep 22, 2019.

1. handirifle

handirifle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen several bikes bow with single rear shocks, on one side, not centered. Are the swingarms beefed up for this? If so how? Seems like it would place a huge load on the far side swing arm bearing.
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    single swingarm bikes have been around for awhile. the single sided shock keeps things simple and compact. see ninja 650
  3. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    '80's BMW monolever's were stiffer than the conventional swingarm they replaced.
    And more load is on the side of the shock if you do force vector calculation.
  4. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, It’s all in the design of the swingarm, even single-sided swingarm, to centralize all of that force before the pivot. They don’t have to be necessarily beefed up overall in mass but beefed up structurally in the right places to “transfer” those forces to other areas.

I think some swingarm designs belong in an art museum like the 1998+ Aprilia RSV Mille.
    Max Kool and Richarde1605 like this.
  5. handirifle

handirifle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, been away a bit after I posted this. Thought so but some of the swing arms do not LOOK any more beefed up, but as you say, its in the design.