Single Track Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by The GS Guy, Feb 14, 2020.

1. The GS Guy

The GS Guy n00b

Oddometer:
    I am looking to upgrade my trail bike. I currently have a Yamaha XT350. My kids and I have started riding single tracks a lot more and the old XT just isn't cutting it. The suspension is way to soft and after a short while of riding it gets warm and temperamental. I am 6'1" and about 250lbs. I live in northern Michigan so our single tracks are pretty tight and regularly have logs across the trail. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good trail bike for these types of conditions? I should also mention that dealers are pretty limited where I am at. We have a local Yamaha shop but any other dealer is at least 2 hours away (KTM and Husky 4 hours away). IMG_7705.JPG
    Elle2Konsai, OU812 and Bitingdog like this.
  2. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that XT is beautiful and seems to be in great stock condition! Ive been looking for just one of those here in Sweden for quite some while now. Promise me you'll never sell it!
    The GS Guy likes this.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just about any modern bike built for the woods should work for you. Take a look at a WR250F at your local dealer or a YZ250X.
  4. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    Yamaha has a lot of great trail bike offerings these days. I'd personally go YZ250FX, but the WR250F is similar and little plusher and with the GYTR tuner and exhaust it can deliver power like a 250FX. Many good things have been said about the YZ250X and YZ125X (2-stroke). Amazon will 2-day ship almost any part for any color of bike you want so I wouldn't necessarily fret dealer support unless you have them do all your service.

Also paging @Navin for customary GPX plug.
    Elle2Konsai, Bucho, Glenn247 and 5 others like this.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the under $5000 brand new GPX FSE250R four stroke and TSE250 two stroke. Both true trail bike engines in Euro spec chassies. Reach out to @malignity to check out his TSE. Read the threads here too.

Or if your really plonking their XTR250 is under $3000 (think modern XR200 with discs and estart)and a perfect chase bike with the kids.

Parts n bikes ship out of Utah.

65BA9D51-F485-42EB-9A39-60972E603952.jpeg 50D38516-D198-4B24-A048-F015F4915243.jpeg
    Elle2Konsai, Fallacy, OU812 and 2 others like this.
  6. The GS Guy

The GS Guy n00b

Oddometer:

I do most of my own maintenance, but if I get busy with work I have been know to drop my bike off at the dealer to get certain things done.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    A local dealer is more valuable that just maintenance. They will help with any warranty issue you may heave. Hopefully they will have that part you need on Saturday night before the big ride on sunday.
    Elle2Konsai, The GS Guy and Navin like this.
  8. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Husky Te300i or a tpi... bullet proof
    BIG-E, radmann10, The GS Guy and 2 others like this.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the dealer and to another degree, the manufacturer. Ivd yet to see another mfg step up like @Pitster has with the GPX bikes. Having him here as a member and for everyone to watch it all unfold was a brave move. Not many/any others are nearly as involved or as transparent.
  10. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    KX500
  11. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given the local Yamaha dealer a yz250x would be a great choice. It's simple, reliable and has great suspension.

Ignoring cost and dealer access, there's no better bike than the 2019 Husky TX300/ ktm 300xc. They are super smooth with the counter balanced motors, quite common so easy to get parts for quickly, perfectly spaced 6 speed gearbox, and the best steering / handling I've experienced so far on a dirt bike.

I personallywould not get too wrapped up about a dealer. Most don't stock much of anything and I do all my own work anyway. Warranty on most dirt bikes is 30 days so not really worth worrying about either.

Whatever you get you'll need stiffer springs and probably valving for the suspension to work for you.
    The GS Guy likes this.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can it keep up with the 50/70cc combo pictured above?
  13. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to involve your kids in the new bike decision. I'm guessing before you know it they will be fighting over who gets to ride it :lol3. Great picture!
    The GS Guy likes this.
  14. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    EVIL THIS ONE IS....
    :lol3
  15. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are suspension improvements on the table? Might make you love it enough to keep it. I ride an XR400 in high humidity summer heat of TN and have no issues with overheating, tight trails abound. Assuming valves are adjusted, jetting proper, etc. Hate to see you send the old girl out to pasture. It should be able to go anywhere an XR70 can.
    OU812 and Bitingdog like this.
  16. The GS Guy

The GS Guy n00b

Oddometer:
    I would consider upgrading the suspension, but I don't know enough about it to under take it myself.
  17. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Elle2Konsai and The GS Guy like this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Rick at Cogent Dynamics can probably help you out, even if your bike is not listed on their site. It would be much less than a new bike but I dont like talking anyone out of a new bike. https://www.motocd.com
    Hamamelis, OU812, Bitingdog and 2 others like this.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tap a button or kick an old XT? Eh. There are better ways to waste your $$$ than on suspension upgrades for an 80s DS.

My $0.02
    OU812, Bitingdog, OUTERLIMITS and 3 others like this.
  20. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll chime in here. First a brief of my experience, and then I'll give my opinion. I bashed Mi. single track for over 20+ years, raising my two kids on moto's while doing it. As a divorced dad, it's what I chose to do with my kids. Looking at your kids bikes, I see your starting young. I started mine out on Suzi DS80's. Then as they grew, they got Honda CRF 150/Yam TTR125 and then I got them both Honda CRF230f's. They out grow the bikes fast. During this time I rode a a Kawa KDX200. It was a great bike not only for this, but just in general. As you likely already know, you're just following the kids down the trail picking them up between crashes. Dust them off, check for injuries and damage, start the bikes and off you go to the next crash. It gets better. By the time mine were 12-13 years old, I couldn't keep them in sight anymore and it became a daily lecture to slow down and think safe. Now my highly opinionated part, and it's worth the price you paid.
    You need a bike that is light and easy to handle since you are going to stop, mount and dismount the bike a lot for the first few years and I would make that my priority. You won't be going fast with the kids, so performance isn't an issue. If I was in your place, knowing what I know now, 3 bikes quickly come to mind. The yam YZ125x, KTM150, or the GPX Moto TSE250.
    https://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/150-xc-w-tpi/
    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/cross-country/models/yz125x
    https://gpxmoto.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=5&product_id=73
    Don't discount the smaller displacement two strokes. They're rippers and will carry adults through any terrain without a problem. I'm 6'0" 220 lbs and if I was looking for a single track bike, not even for following kids around, one of these 3 would be in my garage.
    The plus here, is that even if these are not the bikes that you want, they will be perfect for the kids once they get the experience and grow into them. Then you can go out and get what you want. It won't be long, then, good luck old man trying to keep up with them...
    :photog :beer
    Elle2Konsai, Yeti2ride, OU812 and 3 others like this.