Sipapu NM

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by leighton_co, Sep 10, 2021 at 9:39 AM.

Tags:
  1. leighton_co

leighton_co only place anything happens is out there kitty

Oddometer:
    The understated and well kept secret.

Well our first time down at this rally had us thinking about not even staying.

My dad and I took the short way down and on the slab alot of the time saved from avoiding Denver.
    By the time we got into NM we'd decided it was way too early to show up as it was Thursday at 1ish.

The event doesn't sign up for folks till Friday morning.

We ended up trying a ton of campgrounds in the area. And they were all shut excepting 2. Which were jam packed.
    Anyhow. We rode through beautiful country and ended up in Angel Fire south of Eagles Nest up in the mountains of Sangre De Christo rockies.
    We rode south out of Angel fire and through a back road that ended into dirt pack. We decided to turn back and we found another way thay we thought would be faster back way into a place called Mora.
    After riding through the nearly goat trail width unmaintained barely paved road.. we passed many deer and a few locals who were kind enough to not run us off the narrow trench infested "road"... The patch of the road was in what is called a Mexican land grant.

Apparently the path was one of many in the area that locals love. As they are a take back to times of our distant and nearly forgotten past.
    To us it was good fun.. Or it would have been if we had time to enjoy it.. and not rip through our throttles like starving children in a food eating contest.
    We made our way through the seemingly never ending community of Mora. I spotted a drunkard barely able to stay off the road. (on foot) And then a shifty eyed hound (also on foot.. Er eh paw) who was more involved in smelling up the roadkill than paying attention to the road.. Dog was shortly up the road from old fellar.
    Methinks to mineself this was a privilege to encounter such as they were the local wildlife and not so much the standard affair of prius drivers. (Nothing against them just always stuck behind them somehow...)

We got to sipapu and werent impressed. Our first impression was that of a small but probly bustling winter resort. But in the summer not much for writing home about.
    Please don't shoot me yet as I've not finished.
    We had almost had enough of rude camp dwelling hosts and circuitous roads filled with wild man and his kin. I'd also developed a leak on my oil filler tube on my 1150gs...

To say the least when we saw the pleasing green filled with TOO many people we checked in and got a room at the lodge.
    After dinner we felt better and drifted among some of the riders and visited with a few from Texas.
    We woke rested on Friday morning. After having coffee and tea we roused to meet the morning. I was the first of myself and my dad to make it to the sign in.
    I got a few free souvenirs and a few shirts and hats fr years previous. Met my dad and we went and walked through the rest of the grounds.
    We found a very nice riverside camp area. We regret that we hadnt seen it first last night.
    But alas we had our burritos at breakfast and chewed the fat with many riders.
    We decided it was alright to stay. So we registered and now we're off to Santa Fe and I have to get some parts for my 1150gs that will hopefully fix the issue of the oil slinging boot slipping ride.

I am glad we came down here and the ride and the people are great.
    It's our first time here but for me. It was worth the trouble etc.

Thanks for reading. I'll hopefully put more posts as I experience more of the wonders of the enchanted forest.

God bless.
  2. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Left to Santa fe
    Was a very interesting route down through many small "towns". I guess these places are pretty common down here as they show a different side of life and ways to live. Many of the houses are up kept but also many are in different states of dilapidation. I got allot of back road views not just what Google said I should take.
    New Mexico as a kid was like something from a story book.
    New Mexico as an adult is more the same memories but more reality. All the stuff I remember visiting was viewed from the backseat of an old pickup truck. Then most things were stopped and viewed only occasionally on back ways.
    Now I'm all over the place and considering the difference between the two and now.... I guess life is all how you view it.
  3. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Tonight we got back to sipapu around 4ish local. We sat down and proceeded to have several conversations with fellow campers and had a decent time.
    20210910_190436.jpg
    After many good times and folks. We headed up to the rally cook-off of the green-chile snack.
    Aftet a brew and snack. We chatted with many more folks and headed back yonder to the above picture.
    Tidying down for a easy night after a helacious ride from here to Santa fe and back.
    I will say this. From what I'm told the county around here is the lowest per capita as far as volume of net income. There is plenty of the usual out of state owners who buy and build nicer to them homes. The money difference is obvious but the people are still considerate and motorists are as well.
    We're probably going to buzz into Taos as that's the one place we simply haven't been into since we've been here.
    It's almost like we've been avoiding the art galleries and there throngs of hungry art loving folks.
    We've been to these places many times in the past. We usually look at some of the local artists and enjoy thier company. But there is always a person who stands out as they are there to wave thier cash around. Oh well good for them.
  4. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20210910_093824.jpg 20210910_093818.jpg 20210910_080841.jpg
    joenuclear likes this.
  5. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20210910_080657.jpg 20210909_093818.jpg
  6. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Rudy's bbq and country store... Aka restaurant with a gas station. In Colorado Springs Co. Breakfast on first day.
    Other pictures include the local stuff going on here etc. People working on the ski chair lift this morning.
  7. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20210910_192306.jpg
  8. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    We had lunch in santa fe at the local place called Maria's new Mexican kitchen. Great local digs to have more then your fill. I didn't snag a picture as it was insane traffic but I found a stock image. Enjoy.
  9. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    mariasNMkitchenFB6-20.png
  10. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Last night was alright. Got a bit cold but we had expected it to. So after the chill wore off so did we. Back on bikes and off we went.

A polite reminder. If you have not forgotten. Allot of places require masks still.
    Not saying you have to go wear one. Just in case...

Had lunch in Taos at a tex mex place we had been a few times on north 64. I can't say how I remember the food back when. It wasn't bad today. But the experience lacked a bit of decorum.

Food was good. People (staff) were nice and friendly. The guests weren't the nicest to some of us. Food wasn't over priced. So we managed to get in and out with a minimum of scathing. (I think tomorrow I'll stop at Blake's lotaburger. Apparently a local specialty in NM)

I know we're living in a bathtub full of human germs everywhere we go... And I guess. Some people still think it's thier right to tell you off.. Wearing a mask or not.

We rode to the Rio grand gorge and loomed around and then back on the bikes to gas up at speedys.

Back to the ride back we stopped at a panaderia aka carneceria aka taqueria aka Latin Market. We got some baked snacks and had a decent brake from the hub bub of the Taos insanity.
    Way back was hot but as we climbed up the alpine into the canyon it cooled just a little.

Back at camp made more talk with some new friends and snacked on more tasty breads from the panaderia.
    Our local loebmw guys Johnny and John from Lubbock Texas came around to collect for a 50/50 raffle and took us for a ride. They got a bunch of money and we got some blue paper in return. I tell you what they said iffin we win we have to buy beer for them.
    Apparently whatever the pot is half goes to the winner and half goes to thier charity. Who the charity case is we haven't found out yet.
    Drawings after dinner.
    Dinner to nite is to be cheese enchiladas... And I guess some kind of stuff along side.
    Reading and taking it easy until then dinners at 530p and now it's right at 430 ish.

Had a heck of a time deciding to stay tonight or leave early tomorrow. I guess the big deal is to get back with enough in your wallet to buy gas home.
    Either way we've had a shite tone of riding in 2 days and then another almost 500 to go Sunday. We'll I guess it's not about the destination it's about the ride.
    No new shirts no new hats no new stuff no music live or dj stlye as advertised. Hoping the raffle is better then the door prizes. Other then amazing people and a tantalizing amount of Mexican food.

Wish some folks were here but I don't know how much fun they'd have iffin they were on the fact that they wouldn't be as bound to ride as much as us. But we still miss them none the less.

Heck of a good place to camp compared to some of the places I've been. Lolo pass in northern Montana outside if Lolo outside of Missoula. That place was filled with memories. Couple of guys who couldn't get the idea that people were trying to sleep after they started up a chainsaw right in camp to split some fire wood.. Gawd.
    And then the rattle snakes trying to bite you as your riding into camp in Idaho...

Crows keeping is company as we feed them bits of sweet bread. 20210911_165321.jpg 20210911_165340.jpg 20210911_165255.jpg
  11. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20210911_165551.jpg 20210911_165651.jpg
  12. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20210911_170104.jpg
  13. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20210911_170444.jpg 20210911_170247.jpg
  14. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20210912_081924.jpg 20210912_081920.jpg 20210912_084749.jpg
  15. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love New Mexico! Thank you for posting . . .
  16. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Yep. Been there now back home. Not alot of pictures during travels. As I'm always each hand on the handlebars. I will post more as I can.
  17. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20210912_100231.jpg 20210912_092834_05.jpg
    staticPort likes this.