Six Africa Twins to Cape Town

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joris van O, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The next day Hans and I jumped on the bikes and rode back to Cape Town. Hans wanted to visit Robben island so I tagged along for the day. We hopped on a ferry to the island, which reminded me again that I just don't like being on a boat that is rocking back and forth on these slow waves.

[​IMG]
    They use buses to drive you around the island, which was bigger than I expected it to be. At important locations they stop and let you wander around for a bit. I found the island itself not really special, but the history made it into the world heritage site it is today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second part of the tour was a walk through the main prison building. Impressive, but a bit too crowded for me. I mostly enjoyed the view you have on Table mountain and the city below it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back on terra firma we strolled around the Waterfront area. Just enjoying all the tourist shops and sights.
    mbanzi, juno, Davidprej and 3 others like this.
  2. BIG OIL

BIG OIL Loooozer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:super:super Epic!
    Joris van O likes this.
  3. 2old2care

2old2care Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You done good kid...
    So what's next?
    Joris van O likes this.
  4. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Thank you :)

Interesting question, I have a lot of ideas in my head that I want to do.. But as always budget (or lack of) is the limiting factor. Before I went on this trip I was planning a ride through north, central and south America. The map of the USA is still on my wall, with a lot of pushpins in it.

But for now I have to replenish the bank account, although Africa wasn't mega expensive it still made a big dent in the travel budget. All lot of it was spend up front, buying gear that I didn't have.

I am thinking about Vietnam for coming winter, 4 weeks on a small bike should be doable, feeds the travel appetite and doesn't break the bank that much.. but we'll see. You never know what will happen in the meantime.
    juno likes this.
  5. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading many ride reports one of the places often mentioned as "favorite" is Thialand. Inexpensive with many friendly, english speaking people and lots to see.
    jj
    Joris van O likes this.
  6. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on finsihing the Trip and taking us along Joris. You have the bug now and I am looking forward to many more trip reports from you.
    Any updates on the rest of your crew?
    Joris van O likes this.
  7. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The water around Cape Town is pretty cold, due to the Benguela current running up from the Arctic. I jumped in a couple of times but going for a real swim wasn't for me. But a warming sun and a nice breeze make up for the cool water. Therefore the beaches are still packed most of the days, well not that packed like Europe in summer, but for a week day it's pretty crowded.

On the way back from the beach I heard some choppers, so I followed them to see what was going on. 'Why are you following choppers I hear you think', well I'm still a little kid most of the time, so I can't miss the opportunity to see them in action.

Choppers!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There was a little fire on the foothills of Table mountain, which the two helicopters were fighting. After a while a pretty big crowd had gathered at the artificial lake they got their water from. Amazing to see the pilots working these things to the max. Coming in fast and low, the bucket already in the water before they hoover in mid air. Then full throttle, raising the heavy bucket up in the air and in the direction of the mountain, over and over again.
    mbanzi, Squily and zimtim like this.
  8. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Yes, Thailand might be a favorable option when the Edventure brewery opens :D

Thanks! I have been (and still am) inspired by all the awesome trips on here, so if I have inspired only one person to take that step and get out there it was worth it. Well even if I didn't it was still worth it to write the report, hopefully it will be around for a couple of years so I can read it from time to time and go back to those places again. I'm looking forward to writing more trip reports!! :D

The rest of the crew is back home I believe, five bikes are on their way to Rotterdam. Not sure about Roel though, he might be still touring around in SA, visiting friends. I'm going to get those pictures and clips from the guys and will try to cut and edit something together.
    roadcapDen, juno and just jeff like this.
  9. 2old2care

2old2care Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get the airfare & a couple of thousand $$$'s together, l'll make sure you get to see as much of the USA as possible!
    Joris van O likes this.
  10. mpetrau

mpetrau Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, great trip on those old Africa Twins. Very inspiring. Maaaaan, i wish to do a trip like this someday! For now was nice just to follow along :) Cheers and enjoy riding!
    Joris van O likes this.
  11. at46dutch

at46dutch n00b

Oddometer:
    Joris good luck on your next trip!!!!,:clap

Bert
    Joris van O likes this.
  12. at46dutch

at46dutch n00b

Oddometer:
    And there are movies and foto,s off the trip on the website africaallroad.com

Bert
  13. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    The airfare would not be a problem, the time and money are bigger issues. But I'm working on that! Might be a couple of years before there will be another 'big-big' trip. But a couple of weeks and weekends away each year should keep me happy. But you never know what life has in store for you.

Thank you! Go for it, make it happen :) You can send at46dutch (Bert) a pm, if we didn't scare him to much this year he might do it again next year.
  14. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    After sitting on my bike for three months, I was keen to do some walking. The previous day I was on the beach, looking at the peak of Lions head (with the cloud over it) and fancied climbing up there. So I parked my bike at the bottom and followed the main route up. After a couple hundred meter there was a small trail to the right which was much more appealing than the main route.

[​IMG]
    The trail went up one side of the hill instead, so it offered nice views and had me out of breath pretty fast. Halfway the hill there were a lot of trails running in all directions, so I picked one and that of course led to a dead end at a pretty high drop off. I saw a trail running below so went back and down a bit and tried again. This time ending up in a cave. Where I interrupted a couple enjoying the romantic view. :D Might as well ask them the route up then. So I finally knew which way to go (wasn't that hard after all) and got climbing on the last bit to the top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It felt good to do a proper walk up the hill. I tried to push a bit and get up there as quick as I could. A lot of people do this as their morning run, that's a bit to much for me. I've never been a hiking-kind of guy but I can understand why people do it. If we had hills at home I would do it more often :D

[​IMG]
    Well that's not that high.., but good views all around!

[​IMG]
    Oh and there was a bird photobombing my picture of a 'Rock Dassie'.

Ok ok, I should really finish this report.. but it's not really about bikes anymore ;)

The next day I went to World of Birds, a sancuary (or zoo, depending who you ask) for birds and other small animals. I walked in and said to myself 'oh it's pretty small'. But that was just the first of 20 or so routes you could take. So there were a lot of birds to see. Most seemed pretty content, but there were also a couple of fella's that looked a bit scruffy. It must be difficult to run the park with just the sponsorships and ticket revenue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    juno, mbanzi, just jeff and 3 others like this.
  15. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Another beautiful park to walk around for a bit is the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden. It is situated behind Table mountain and it is a nice short ride from the city center. I wasn't the only one with that idea, it was pretty busy. Kids playing around, their parents waiting on a bench. Young couples picknicking on the perfect lawn. Older folks enjoying the special trees and flowers. The further you walked into the park the less people there were. Overall a really nice park to walk around for a couple of hours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They had a canopy walkway, which was very cool! I guess the highest point was around 30 meters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And lots of flowers of course.. Ok ok.. enough!

[​IMG]
    We were staying in Cape Town Backpackers for a couple of days now, and already met a lot of cool people. Because my time in Cape Town was almost up a couple of guys and I went out for dinner. Ignacio (left) was from Chile and was in his last days of backpacking through southern Africa, and Devon (right) from South Africa was in Cape Town for a job application but decided at last moment not to go and instead turned it into a small holiday. And behind the camera was Jennifer from the USA. She is a professional photographer from Chicago (it was my phone, the pictures she normally takes are beautiful!) So a four-continents get together. And it is amazing how similar things are all around the world, same lives, same opportunities, same struggles, different language.
    Squily, rider1150gsadv and mbanzi like this.
  16. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    The next day we didn't plan on doing much, except for handing over the bikes to Duncan Johnsson at African Overlanders.
    Bert and I were putting on our luggage (atleast the things that didn't go on the flight) and just minutes before we were to depart a fine red Africa Twin pulled up. The same guy had approached us when we were in Namibia because he had a Twin at home in Cape Town. And had now spotted the same Twins at their destination so he stopped for a little chat. Cool!
    [​IMG]

African Overlanders is located about 30k's outside of Cape Town and is a perfect place for overlanders. Lots of space and it's quiet. Raoul and Hans bikes where already there so we parked ours next to them and handed over the paperwork to Duncan. He will arrange everything from there on, put them on a pallet. Making sure they are secured the right way in a container heading to Rotterdam. He does a lot of shipping all over the world, so his place is filled with cars from all kinds of countries. (www.africanoverlanders.com)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it! Duncan dropped us of in front of our hostel (Thanks a lot for that Duncan!!) and I walked around Cape Town for the last time. The next day Bert and I would be flying home. Back to reality. Back to our friends and family.

The first flight from Cape Town to Dubai I was placed next to a Swedish (or Finish) guy who was making an attempt at visiting all countries in the world. I told him my story and we got along pretty good. Makes a flight so much better. After waiting a couple hours on the connecting flight to Amsterdam the gate opened and I got my first shock of reality. A A380 filled with dutch people.. NO!!! I did not miss that at all. All the wining and complaining, and I could understand every word of it. Luckily I had a seat by the window so I could see the Burj Dubai in the distance when we took off. And after a couple hours the fascinating Iranian landscape 36000 feet below us. 'Maybe one day ...'
    [​IMG]

Flying over Turkey, winter set in and I saw this snow and cloud filled crater. I googled a bit and found out it's called the Nemrut Caldera. It's only 4200km away on Google Maps :D A next 'maybe one day ...'
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My mom and her fiancé were waiting for me at the airport. So we said goodbye to Bert and there we went.. home. To keep the tradition alive it started raining when we walked to the car.

I hear you think.. Fiancé? YES! Had to keep it a secret because family and friends are reading. But they are all informed so now I can post this single picture.
    [​IMG]
    Squily, OldManJoris, zimtim and 2 others like this.
  17. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great posts to catch us up Joris. Congrats to your mom and her fiance!
    Joris van O likes this.
  18. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you on the Dutch people whining and complaining... Being Dutch myself and having worked in the tourism industry here in the USA, I could write a book....:jack Awesome RR!!!!!!!!:clap:clap
    Golden955 and Joris van O like this.
  19. NW2EC

NW2EC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing adventure. Thank you for sharing it with the riding community.. I was just nosing around today and found your RR and was sucked in. Sat down and read it all! I appreciate the 'warts and all' approach. And your photos are top notch.

I agree with you about being changed after travel. I can only speak for myself, but I think that all the encounters and experiences a person has while traveling just makes them a better world citizen. That might sound a little trite but it's truly what I feel.

I am doing a Cape Town to Victoria Falls trip next year and I am so excited. I have also planned a shark seeing trip and I hope it goes off a little better than yours!

" it is amazing how similar things are all around the world, same lives, same opportunities, same struggles, different language." Truer words have never been written.
    -Erica
    Joris van O likes this.
  20. Joris van O

Oddometer:
    Took me a couple of days but all the pictures are migrated from Photobucket to Flickr and everything seems to work ok. I added a couple here and there as well. Hope Flickr doesn't change their policy for third party hosting.

It's funny to read your own thoughts again and relive those moments in your head. Looking back, three months was way to short. But it was all we could manage at that moment, still thousand times better than not going! Right now I'm slowly gathering info and funds for North, Central and South America but it will take at least another year before I have sufficient funds to last a while on the road. And who knows what will happen in the meantime.

Ride safe! :dllama: