Six Days of Idaho

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by andy29847, Jan 28, 2015.

1. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    tannerc likes this.
  2. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Finished this ride on 8/1. Updated tracks on post 1. Idaho rocks! More Pictures and a ride report coming soon.

To answer a question from an earlier post, the road that goes down to the Selway River, Falls Creek Road, is steep and narrow for ~4 miles as you near the river. There are no logs or other obstacles in the way. The few water bars I remember are small and do not cause problems. The slide area has been fixed and the gate is open to traffic. We met a Forest Service Crew in a pickup on our way down. Now that was fun. :-) It is steep, and the climb/decent is long. IT IS FUN!
  3. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Our day 1, from Salmon to Stanley, was wet and cold. It has been a few years since I have ridden in sleet. Hope it doesn't happen again.

[​IMG]

Our day 2, from Stanley to McCall, started cold and turned perfect.
    [​IMG]

Our day 3, from McCall to Elk City, was cool in the morning and turned hot.
    [​IMG]

Day 4, from Elk City to Lolo was hot and dusty. I got a face full of a Polaris RAZR coming into one turn on the Lolo Motorway. I don't want to see that again.
    [​IMG]

Day 5 was an easy day for us. We used US 12 to get to the Selway River and the backtracked on the day 4 route to get to Elk City. We skipped the west end of the Lolo Motorway.
    [​IMG]

Day 6 was our longest day. We crossed the McGruder Corridor on the way back to Salmon.
    [​IMG]
  4. toondebt11

toondebt11 ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer:
    Let's get this thread going!!!

So we had 10 men arriving for this ride. Most of the group was leaving shortly afterwards to ride the best of the west ride. That's why me and Andy are left writing our pathetic ride report....
    We all arrived Sunday afternoon in Salmon Idaho. After the group unpacked at the sacawagia inn in Salmon, we headed out to the local RV park where Andy and his very accommodating wife treated us to a good old fashion cook-out!
    I was the last to arrive, so Andy's dog ask "where have you been!?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We woke up to start the ride in a cold rain. We all met up at the local gas stop under the protection of the canapy...
    [​IMG]

Our first stop to warm up was at the Shoup General store/ Cabin. They had the Closed sign up, but graciously opened the doors to let 10 wet/ cold riders warm up and pet the dogs...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After leaving Shoup, we were treated to some dry time following along some scenic rivers and mountains...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made it into town for lunch just as the sky opened up again. We enjoyed a so so meal warm and drying out...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. toondebt11

toondebt11 ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer:
    After lunch, we were treat to some rain, snow, sleet, sunshine and the historic town of Custer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We finished Day one in Stanley Idaho. I was planning on camping on this first night, but after the wet, cold day, I opted to share the floor of my buddy's hotel room. They were forecasting 28 deg. and snow for the night....

Warm and dry at last!!
    [​IMG]

More to come.........
  6. toondebt11

toondebt11 ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer:
    We woke to day 2 to a cool and clear day. After breakfast at the lodge, we headed out towards McCall.

[​IMG]

We ran across some wildlife.... Elk, may pronghorns....

[​IMG]

some wide open areas were we could "open it up " a little...

[​IMG]

We stopped to see if the group wanted to detour to a scenic spot....

[​IMG]

to check out Dagger Falls

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then on towards McCalls...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plenty of photo Ops.. and things to see...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We rolled into Yellow Pine Idaho for Lunch. I have been told that this is the Most remote town in Idaho. BUT... They did have a ...
    [​IMG]
  7. toondebt11

toondebt11 ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer:
    We had lunch at the finest restaurant in town......Then again, it was the only restaurant in town! Seriously, it was good food. and good company.
    One of the group noticed this on the ceiling...

[​IMG]

It was a nice ,clean small mountain town.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

good food, and good friends!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for lunch!...
    We got to roll!!

[​IMG]

After leaving Yellow Pine. We followed along a ever changing beautiful river! We could have spent days stopping at every scenic spot!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a beautiful ride from Yellow pine, we rolled into McCall Idaho. We had rooms reserved at the Scandia Inn. It was a Mom and Pop place but very nice and accommodating.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We woke to day 3 to another beautiful but cool day. We met at a local Pancake house. When I say Pancakes......I MEAN PANCAKES!
    [​IMG]

We did not leave Hungry!!

We did spend a few minutes tracking down some metric bolts to get Ron's seat, rack , and side covers secured. Many thanks to everyone who ran parts runs and supplied the bag o bolts...... you know who you are!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone got a tag!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now...Off to Elk city Idaho!!
    [​IMG]

Our first stop was at the Bergdorf Hot springs. This was a nice little hot springs resort. Complete with 2 hot tubs, and a large hot spring pool. (clothes optional after 8) ;)

[​IMG]

I LOVED the wood pile!!

This place is very popular with the snowmobile folks. They rent cabins and have a small store. We stocked some snacks for the trail, and checked out the local wildlife...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the men got so worked up, that he lost his balance leaving the property...
    [​IMG]

Then it was UP and onward towards the remote town of Elk City....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We never pass up a person in distress. So we tried to get this poor sole back on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then down the Mountain we go!!....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we reach the bottom of the range, we stop to take a few layers off....
    [​IMG]

And leave our mark...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We start following the Salmon river. It is very beautiful, and hard to watch the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dscofever likes this.
  8. toondebt11

toondebt11 ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer:
    I don't think it get's any prettier than this....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the bridge, we turned back up into the mountains. It was many miles of washboard gravel roads. We stopped to take a break near the top in the shade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the first of the gremlins appeared..
    [​IMG]

The KLR would not crank....No problem! the group said. Get a rock and hit it just right and we will be on our way!!
    [​IMG]

Andy, pass that multimeter over and check the dohicky wires!!
    [​IMG]

We could not find a rock that would beat the life back into the KLR, so we pushed it down the hill and bump started it back to life.
    We thought that the washboards had shorted the battery plates, so Gary and Ken headed towards Granger to a shop that had a replacement. We planned to meet back up in Elk City.
    [​IMG]

We all arrived in Elk city were we where spending the night. After fueling up at the only gas station, the second gremlin showed up...

The X Challenge had lost all power and had no lights at all. Our resident mechanic traced the problem to a faulty ignition switch. Seems the salty ride thru the salt in January from Arizona to Maryland had taken it's toll. Luckily the local gas station stocked BMW ignition switches!!
    (sort of)
    [​IMG]

Oh well..... what ever works!!

This place looks bad, but it is really nice on the inside! ( relatively) We had a nice supper, and prepared for out trip to Montana in the Morning.
    [​IMG]

After supper, Ken and Gary arrived after rounding up a new battery for the KLR. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. Several of the group worked late into the night to try to find the short. (to no avail) Sadly, Gary had to cut his ride short and after a roll down main street to fire the KLR to life, he headed back to Stanley and his truck.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow.......LOLO motorway and Montana!
    CUTiger 89 and slideways like this.
  9. andy29847

Oddometer:
  10. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks like a great route!

I have been working on a loop route to combine the Magruder Corridor and the Lolo Motorway, but on my small dirt bike I didn't want to ride too much pavement. I was planning on starting in Challis, and it is a long slab ride from Lolo back to Challis. Your route gives me a much better option. It will take a few extra days, but it looks well worth it!

Can you share some details on the single track and ATV sections that you skipped? Since we will be on smaller dirt bikes, we would like some options to increase the challenge for part of the ride. Thanks.
  11. andy29847

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is the end of the green day (1) and the start of the blue day(2). We took the highlighted tracks. The dark tracks were the originals ones. The section on each side of waypoint IL1012 was supposed to be trail. There had been a fire in this area and I am not sure that the trail is still good. The alternate route, The Custer Motorway, is a great ride. The section between IL2004 and IL2005 is supposed to be ATV and motorcycle tracks. We skipped that because it was cold, we started late, and we wanted to go to Dagger Falls. The skipped tracks are visible on Google Earth (2009 maps).

We posted a ride report: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...of-idaho-and-all-i-got-was-a-t-shirt.1084303/

I have a file named ID SMTS that shows a lot of Idaho single track. I can't remember if it came from Big Dog, Countdown, or someone else. It should be posted here, maybe in the Tour of Idaho tracks..
  12. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Original Six Days of Idaho tracks -

shows dirt from the end of McGruder to Shoup Store that we skipped.

Attached Files:

13. andy29847

Oddometer:
    ID SMTS - this file may not work on the new ADVrider (limits on file size). Send me an email and I will reply with the file - andy112652 at aol dot com
  14. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I originally wanted to build a loop out of the Macgruder Corridor and the Lolo Motorway. I then found the road down to Shoup, so I added that. And then I found Panther Creek to Challis, so I added that. And then I found your Six Day loop, which makes it all much better.

I spent several hours this weekend overlaying your GPX file with the middle portions of the IDBDR and the T1 Tour of Idaho, plus a few segments that looked interesting on Google Earth. I will now add your option from IL2004 to IL2005. I already traced out the roads in between your route and the pavement. I don't mind riding pavement if the traffic is no faster than 55 mph, but 65 mph roads get old really fast on a dirt bike.

My fear now is that I won't be able to get it all done in six days. Just from Google Earth and your trip report (plus the T-shirt one) gives me a lot of points of interest - many of which we won't have time to fully enjoy. But it all looks really fun!

I will send you an email regarding the single track file.

Thanks.

Dee