Sjaak Lucassen Arctic Super Bike Challenge with as a final goal, ‘North Pole’.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Sjaak, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Sjaak

Sjaak n00b

Oddometer:
    2016-11-29.jpg After decades of traveling to all reachable corners of the world on sports bikes, I am now going for a less common one, the North Pole.

‘A standard motorbike which is capable to ride over the polar ice to the North Pole does not exist.’ This is my believe after riding in 2013 on the frozen Beaufort Sea, north of Alaska. So to reach that desolate spot on the Arctic, we have to build one. A frame and an engine from a 2001 model Yamaha YZF-R1 are used as a base. Many of the parts that are going to be placed around it, will be far from stock. Yet I will try to keep a ‘Superbike look’ as much as possible and name it “Arctic 1”

I intend to periodically post updates on the project planning and preparation progress here.
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap You are one wild one! Goodluck with the adventure and don't freeze your balls off:lol3
    F650Dakar_Norway and Sjaak like this.
  3. Sjaak

Sjaak n00b

Oddometer:
    Will take care of them. Need them to continu extreme adventures :-)
    dooby likes this.
  4. thewildcallsjon

thewildcallsjon Aesthetic Voyager

Oddometer:
    thats very interesting Sjaak,
    now you have got me thinking, I too am interested in riding in the beautiful landscape and sheer hostile environment of the Artic. The experience would be too good to pass by. Perhaps I could build Artic 2 and join you in this endeavour. Is that actually you towing the sled trailer? If so what did you carry in the trailer? What did you have in mind for traction? The wide rear tyre makes good sense and all, im assuming the use of some pretty serious studs too? what is your experience and what are your ideas for bike adaptation? Did you ever fall through the ice while riding ontop of the sea or lake?
    Sjaak likes this.
  5. OklahomaRider

OklahomaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking his tires are going to be wide , very low pressure and cut like ice racing tires, no studs needed. Canadian built rolligons (spelling?) used them years ago.
    Sjaak and thewildcallsjon like this.
  6. Sjaak

Sjaak n00b

Oddometer:
    Only I will be on a bike during the trip. Building a bike takes years. Unless someone brings in enough cash. But I will have support. Not to help me, I will do all myself, but to be a guide, carry fuel and for filming and photography. Also there will be the option for people who are interested to buy them in for a certain stretch or time. On my website you find most answers on you questions. www.R1goesExtreme.com Go to the North Pole Section. Also in the Adventure section under 2013 Polar Ice Ride you can find more info about my previous adventure. Just let me know if after that you are still interested in joyning.
  7. Sjaak

Sjaak n00b

Oddometer:
    For the rear I bold 2 tyres together and put a new tread over the whole width.

Attached Files:

8. Bugzy

Bugzy 2014 VStrom DL1000a

Oddometer:
    That sounds amazing, good luck on your trip.

Wouldn't a 3 legger make more sense though? then you would not need to be so concerned about tip overs.
    The wide tire on the back seems like a lot of extra work for limited gain, why not go with a modified snow bike design, then you will be sure not to get stuck someplace.
    Is your goal to reach your destination, or is it to ride a sportbike up there as far as you can?

[​IMG]
    Foiler likes this.
  9. Sjaak

Sjaak n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion. My goal is to ride a bike up there. Not a sportsbike, as mine will not be one anymore after the changes. A bike has 2 wheels only, no ski's or tracks. You can read my plan and why on my website www.R1goesExtreme.com
  10. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Good luck with your project
  11. Irlander

Irlander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck Sjaak. However if reports about the record ice melt up there are correct, maybe you will need a boat
    knight likes this.
  12. El Explorador

El Explorador Radical Explorer

Oddometer:
    Guatemala City, Guatemala, and going down!
    Madness! I love it. Rooting for you from Colombia.
  13. 123craig

123craig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too think this is madness - though every part of me wants you to succeed!

I know you've a history achieving what others wouldn't dare try...
    NorthPole likes this.
  14. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your original adventure vids rock! Good luck on this amazing challenge!
  15. khan46

khan46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    youre a legend!
  16. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Which north pole are you planning to ride to, the geographical north pole, the magnetic north pole, or the town of North Pole in Alaska?