Skibum Soirée-All the way East Rally, Aug 15-18

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by skibum69, Mar 5, 2019.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here we go again, sorry I'm so late putting this up for those who need more time to plan. Last year was pretty cozy with a fairly small group but that worked out nicely as the missus decided she wanted to cook for everyone every day. We ate very well and I don't think anyone went hungry. Her fish tacos are deadly! Especially made with fresh cod caught that morning.

We had a few unexpected expenses last year and we spent plenty on food so this year there will definitely be a registration fee. As in other years I will get shirts printed on demand and with any luck will be prepared to take payment for those via paypal or e-transfer in Canada.

Keeping to the small theme Sarah and I figure we will cap numbers at 20 so she doesn't have my head for all the cooking she'll end up doing but hey, she said she wanted to.

For anyone looking for some dirt to ride I have been scoping out a few more routes in the area for a little amusement. Of course the coastal roads are amazing for plenty of pavement routes to keep people dazzled with scenery.

At least a couple of the rooms in our new moto B&B will be ready to go so those are options for any who want them, otherwise it's tents as has been the norm in previous years.

I'll add more info as I get it.

The doors to the shed will be open, anyone recognize that guy on the lower left? How about that mop of hair down center?:lol3
    [​IMG]
  2. skibum69

Oddometer:
    If you need a little help figuring out where we are have a look at this. Good excuse for a little ride. If you like Interstates, it's only 3 turns to my house once you're on I95.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    valvestem likes this.
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    In past years many or most of the folks who came wanted some offroad riding. I have been tracking down a few more offroad routes for those who are interested. I'm looking at stuff that is not too technical that can be ridden on big bikes etc and can easily be extended in to multiple days of riding. The T'railway across the island is doable but not the best for a big bike. There is another route across most of the island that is easily doable on big bikes.
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    bump

As I said before my missus is planning to cook for folks again. One thing we had last year was her fish tacos made with fresh Atlantic cod which to me is the best fish in the world; our buddy up the road is an inshore fisherman so fresh for us is caught same day or the day before, tough to beat. She makes deadly fish tacos! You know you want them!
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Talking to Mosko Moto about possibly making the Soiree a Mosko Meetup, this is not confirmed but it is in discussion.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Anyone out there interested? Surely someone wants to take a spin to Newfoundland?
  7. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely interested. I was just checking out it out on Google maps and looking at the ferry schedules: http://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/plan-your-travel/Schedule/

I'm thinking that I would take my time getting there, taking that whole week off from work. I'm trying to figure out what's a realistic timeline for getting back to Portland, ME from there. I would happily take some unpaid leave if needed to turn it into a two week vacation, spending more time seeing NS as well. Maybe I'll decide that it's time for perpetual unpaid leave between now and then.
  8. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pete, The ferry in N. Sydney is 750 miles from here, two comfortable days on each end. If you're headed to Skibums neck of the woods, take the ferry to Argentia as he's in the northern Avalon Peninsula. Go, allow enough time to enjoy it when you're there, the scenery is incredible and the people are awesome, not to mention Skibums legendary hospitality.

Mike, I'm coming up to Fogo/Twillingate area in May, not sure if I could make it back for the Soiree. One of these years...
    Pete S likes this.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    May? You coming up on 4 wheels? Are you planning to head over our way?

Pete, a week is not very long. Be aware that NL is the 13th biggest island in the world and it takes a full day to ride across the island at 900 km's. A popular way to tun is get the Argentia ferry one way and the Port Aux Basques ferry the other so you only have to cross the island once. Plenty of great scenery all over the place but central is mostly rocks and trees.

I think I might take the Yarmouth-Bar Harbour ferry when I go to the BMW MOA rally in June to save that loop through New Brunswick.
    Pete S likes this.
  10. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ll be on two wheels, and will have around 6 days on the Island. Given the time constraint I thought I’d check out the north shore, maybe catch an iceburg or two, don’t think I’ll have time to make it over your way. Probably check out Burgeo then head up the east side of Red Indian Lake on the way north. Rode the other side of the lake on my way back from Labrador in ‘14. Wanted to catch the Yarmouth ferry also but it won’t be running until mid June.
  11. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, at a bare minimum I was thinking I would leave home on Saturday the 10th and return to work on the 21st, but even that seems kind of rushed. Taking just three more days off from work turns it into a 16 day trip. I was aware of the ferry to Yarmouth as an option, in fact a friend was recently looking for vacation suggestions, I suggested that she spend a few days in Bar Harbor and then take the ferry to NS.

The other thing I'll need to figure out is which bike to take, my Versys 650 or my KLX250. I did a 3000 mile trip on the Versys in September. I put almost 3000 miles on the KLX last year, but no overnight trips on it yet. That's going to change shortly though, I'm leaving two weeks from today for an 11 day trip to VA, WV, NC and TN, and I'm taking the KLX250, although I'll probably trailer it past New England, NY and NJ. If I'm avoiding the interstate highways for the most part, I love riding the KLX.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Only you can decide, there are some fun offroad options in the area. Is your Versys set up for offroad?

You're riding up in May?! It's going to be damned chilly my friend!
    jlambo likes this.
  13. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven’t had time for a trip since ‘15, super busy with work, when I finish the project I’m working on, I’m beating feet north! My 3 other trips have been summer/fall, it dawned on me that preseason might be a good time to see the Twillingate/Fogo area, and maybe a berg or two. I’ll bring my woolies and heated jacket, can’t wait!
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Good on ya, I too have been sorely lacking in saddle time. 2020 in Siberia/Mongolia/Stans should fix that:D Plus headed to the BMWMOA rally in June.
    tourman likes this.
  15. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude!

[​IMG]
    RenoMoto and Throttlemeister like this.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Ah my friend, nice of you to pop up. How's life in NB?
  17. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All's well brother. Looking forward to getting back to The Rock.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to catching up with you
  19. mtndayrider

mtndayrider Get away

Oddometer:
    Hello, looking for an excuse to go to NF. Is your rally still on? Is there space left?
    Thanks.
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    That’s not a bad excuse. Looks like it will be a scaled back intimate affair but come on up and hang out.