Skibum Soiree 2010-all the way east rally again

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by skibum69, Nov 29, 2009.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are any of you guys on the road yet? I'm still trying to get home from Mongolia, sitting in Heathrow waiting for my last flight right now and I should be in New Melbourne by early evening with a cold beer in my hand.

If any of you are running SPOT trackers go to the RTR link in my sig line. EmmBeeDee has put up a Spotwalla link to track everyone headed to the Soiree and it would be great to have you on there. It's only a few posts back from the end right now.

The registration deadline is August 15 to ensure the shirts get printed etc. The design is finalized and looks great. Not long now kids.

Another question: are there any vegetarians coming? I'll make arrangements for some decent food for you. Let me know.

Ok folks, sorry I haven't put much in the way of updates up in awhile, many of you know I've been pretty busy with my Rally prep for Mongolia, Rally Newfoundland, work and the all the rest of the good stuff in life that keeps you busy.

Current news includes this years T-shirt design which is almost finalized, and it might not even be black, so that's good news. One less thing for me to worry about.

Secondly is a fundraiser movie night I want to hold at Christians upstairs where it's a nice small intimate setting with a large movie screen that we can have all to our own. You can look at the fundraiser from the perspective of supporting the Soiree or supporting Steve's kids as any extra $$ that comes in will be going to their fund. Who's interested in coming our for some excellent motorcycle themed movie watching? As for dates, if I can get in for the night of the 28th, Wednesday we could do it then and have it early'ish for the working crowd and just miss the start of the George Street festival. If we can make that one worthwhile we can host a second one after I get back from my rally on the 20th, or just host one during the week of the 20th to the 27th? Please chime in and let me know if you're interested.

The list is growing a little bit and more people are paying their registration, this promises to be a good social event if my estimation of the crowd is anything to go by.

bring it on
    !

my paypal at [email protected] is now open for those who want to register, the registration fee is $75 and $15 for t-shirts. Please include the size you want.

First week of September is confirmed to accommodate the TLH crowd more easily, plus I have some other commitments earlier in August that would make getting all of the ducks in a row really difficult for the last weekend of August.

Two RTR members have now clinched their spots for 2010. I guess I'll make it official to open the paypal option at "[email protected]" for everyone who's ready to come up.

Ok, it's a go for the first weekend in September to accommodate the TLH assless chap, I mean cruiser, oops I mean CCW or CW crowd or whatever the hell you call yourselves.

The Argentia Ferry is the same schedule as last year so mainlanders can book the Wednesday departure and a few folks will come meet you on the Thursday to head up to the house.

Just so everyone is clear we are limiting the number of registrants to 40 to keep things down to a dull manageable roar so if you really want to be there you have to let me know. I'll do the same as last year and start a tentative list and then a ways out I'll call for payment and that will be the deciding factor.

I'll be doing the same registration fee ($75) and t-shirt ($15 unless the cost has changed) fees this year too so part of the cost can go to the Stephen Doyle Children fund. We are changing a few things to try to reduce the actual expenses compared to last year.

Any other questions? Can people who figure they're past 50% sure they can/want to make it start PM'ing me?

cheers mike

following the tragic events the week after last year's Soiree where one of our members was killed in a head on collision on his way home Sue & I agreed that we'd have to host another for 2010 as a memorial to ITsteve.

In our initial planning we think we're probably going to put a cap on how many people we'll accept registration from and a portion of the registration will go to Steve's children's trust fund.

Now that we've been through one, putting off another should be pretty easy; I hope. At least I know where to get what I need now and a good idea of expenses.

In Wolverine's latest post on ridetherock.com about dates for his planned group TLH run I figured I'd start this so that people who want to do both can weigh in. There is already talk of combining these for locals and/or for folks coming from the mainland. Who knows, maybe the Cartwright to Goose Bay connection will be passable by then?

Looking at my plans too I'm offering up either the last weekend of August or the first weekend of September?

The link in my signature line will connect you to the RTR thread.
  2. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    Im there Mike!

I am thinking im going to travel the tracks and woods roads all the way across...
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    why wouldn't you? :lol3
  4. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN.

Not missing it this year. (next?)

:deal

f'ing IN!!
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    It would be good to see you again! You gonna bring 2 bikes? There's marginally more activity on ridetherock-like I said in the CroMag post we're just trying to hammer down dates right now.
  6. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:
    Take the road get there quicker and drink more beer of course.:super:beer:freaky
  7. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    Hey MZ, I'm Wolverine on the RTR site and we are still discussing direction and plans but if we do the TLH CCW I'll be swinging down through the upper US states including yours so if you want to hook up that would be fun. I'm hoping to hook up with a couple other ADV members as well along the way so I could guide you guys on the rock portion for some offroad fun around Red Indian Lake if you'd like getting to Skibums Soiree!
  8. G-Tex

G-Tex Sneaky Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Heavily Fortified Compound in North Oak Cliff
    I am going to try to make this ride from Dallas. I just completed a 3000 mile ride to Cabo and I need a new goal to take my mind off the good times I just had...

Sounds like a lot of fun!:evil
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Welcome! To get an idea jump on Throttlemeister's thread 33 1/3, he rode up from Oklahoma last year.:thumb Oh, and check out the RTR thread in my sig line
  10. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hiya, Mike!:wave

Working on it.:deal

:lurk
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    awesome! We'd love to have you come up for a visit. I'm trying to get Patrick Trahan to time his NL trip to come show off his Dakar bike too:thumb
  12. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once you get the dates figured out, I'm gonna try and arrange some vacation and get home to the Rock for this one.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    so far it looks like most are leaning towards first weekend in September, did I tell you I was in Rothesay in July working on a cell tower?
  14. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I didn't know that. If you're up this way gain drop me a note, I have beer in the fridge.

I'll work on getting some vacation in Sept. I have approval from the minister of the opposition (my wife) to go on the trip. Looking forward to going home on the bike.

If any of our southern neighbors are riding thru Saint John on the way to the Soiree maybe we can hook up and ride together.
  15. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good time, although I get on the road early, and I like to go fast in the gravel. If you can deal with that, it sounds like the way to go.

:lol3

Keep that under your hat!
  16. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in :ricky
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Right on Greg, we're looking forward to seeing you again. My only problem with the last week of August is time, but I think the weekend of the 28/29 will work, I'll just have to do the TLH before August. Also it looks like the Argentia schedule is the same as last year which will put people arriving on Thursday the 26th. Is everyone ok with that?
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Ok, forget that last post, here's a good reason to go with the first weekend in September. Posted by Chuck Berry on the RTR thread.

19. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any dates are good for me - I'll schedule vacation time accordingly. :wink:
    At this point I'm considering the Labrador loop but ultimatly it will depend on how my bike does this summer - that is as long as I don't beat it up too bad. :evil
    Let's just hope for some decent weather.
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    the trick this year is not to have your bike lying around in pieces like you did for CroMag! I need to ride the TLH too but I'm thinking I might do it earlier as a training ride before August, wanna come with?