Skibum Soiree-all the way east rally '09

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:

You both better be there next year :deal :D
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A crowd went out for a guided run of the loop we call the Old Perlican run and I kicked around the house etc. I did go for a short offroad run with Dave Noel and Dougger but forgot my camera. Dave? Anyway, as the day wore on people started rolling back in in time for supper.
    Waiting for pig and eying up k75s's bruises
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the pulled pork sammies went over well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it was tasty but very disappointing that they didn't bring enough baked beans to feed to numbers I'd planned and paid for, there were a couple more disappointments but fortunately only really to me.
    As the night wore on and everyone was around we did a few door prizes. CoolHand and Duffman donated some RTR swag and Dresda and EmmBeeDee in Ottawa mailed me an RTR fleece and a dualsport video to offer as giveaways too. They had planned to come but had to bail out in the end, you were missed.
    2young2drive is the youngest RTR member I know of and was visiting me from Montreal with his family. He was one of only about 3 people there who'd fit the size small fleece so it seemed appropriate.
    2young2drive
    [​IMG]
    throttlemeister won an RTR decal and was still awol working on the internet so an RTR crew did the job on the "mule" for him
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my Montreal guests really enjoyed their visit-Billy let me ride his 640E and hid Ducati 900 on a track day when I was there last year on my way home from CroMag. Thanks Bill, it was great to have to here.
    Billy & Eden
    [​IMG]
    here's a shout out to all you dualsport.ca slackers who didn't make the effort
    [​IMG]
    go riding
    [​IMG]
    good advrider salute there Wolverine! Many thanks to Wolverine and VO1MX for letting Sue & I try out your 1200GS and Veradero respectively.
    [​IMG]
    When I walked outside at about 08:45 on Sunday the whole place was empty! I was amazed how early the crowd took off. I haven't heard any different so I take it everyone arrived where they needed to go safely.

A little later Killianos rolled up looking for someone to ride with only to be caught out empty. We sat and chatted for awhile before he took to the road again
    [​IMG]
    Killianos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    regfoo2 and throttlemeister were sticking around for another night or two waiting to see what hurricane Bill would have to offer. Regfoo2 pulled out a few fireworks to do a closing ceremony for the Soiree, it was another bit of fun and we got a taste of the rain I'd been praying for to refill my well that ran dry Friday night. I take no responsibility for the crappy pics my camera took on the "fireworks" setting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a little fire to dance around, or was that burning the evidence?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This pretty much ends my take on the soiree; I didn't ride much but I did enjoy wandering around playing host. Thank you everyone who helped me pull it off and thank you everyone who took the plunge and payed up to see how my first attempt at organizing came off. I think I came within $200 of breaking even which drives me to thank the sponsors who donated $$$$$ yet again. If not for you guys I would be reaching deep into my pocket to cover the expenses that were generated. Please take a bow for yourselves.:thumb :thumb :thumb
  3. Mudhen

Mudhen Foul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Looks like a complete success!

That railbed is 500 miles!?!?!?
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    now you really wish you'd come up here don't you:lol3
  5. Mudhen

Mudhen Foul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought that went without saying. But thanks for saying it anyway.

:mad?
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    my pleasure there Pat, how did you like the videos from riding the railbeds? Good fun on your moto. How's your 640 coming along anyway?
  7. Mudhen

Mudhen Foul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was drooling over those vids - love splashing through water holes when someone is in front of me so I know there's nothing hiding in them. :norton

640 is ok. Installed the roadbook reader bar last night and got the GPS mounted, and put on the headlight guard the PO hadn't installed. Need to run the wire for the GPS still - hopefully today. Also had my fork seals replaced yesterday - chickened out on doing them myself. Maybe next time - have a workshop manual on order, more than a requirement for my skill level.

Looking at Emig or Koubalink lowering links next. Think this one may be worth modifying to suit me. Have even started thinking about selling the Tiger since I'm not doing much highway now... :eek1
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    have a look at the wiring diagram and under the console, there is a dedicated GPS circuit open under there. I ran my wire down the roadbook holder leg and drilled a hole for it to go. Do you want me to take a pic of how we did mine? I think it looks really clean, the Touratech mount works excellently, now if I could only find my GPS:eek1
  9. Mudhen

Mudhen Foul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap

NICE! I didn't know that...need to learn to research first, work second.

Any pics for ideas welcomed. My GPS is an old StreetPilot III - which sits ridiculously tall on that mount, but it will work for now. Sometime I'd like to get a new smaller one...not sure which are the best for bikes now, though...

Is that circuit an unused connector sitting in there? Or did you have to tap into it? I'll poke around and see what I see.

Thanks!
  10. Mudhen

Mudhen Foul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like the unused circuits under the dash are both only on with the key...don't like that for the GPS. May hack into the powerlet socket up there...or just run the wire from the battery...
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I like the power to turn off with the key, my GPS runs on its batteries when I'm off the bike if I want it to. No issues for me so far with that setup.

Found my GPS sitting on the back seat of the girls car today:clap
  12. misha

misha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job Mike!
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Thanks Misha, it would have been great to have you here as well! I think I can speak for all of us that it was a good time.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    On Saturday, October 29 one of our core ridetherock.com members ITSteve, was killed in a head on collision just after leaving Rose Blanche lighthouse on the southwest coast of Newfoundland.

Steve had spent the last week riding with Dancingboy exploring many nooks and crannies across the island and the west coast and was having the time of his life. I'm glad he made it here for this event and he is missed.

godspeed

Steven Doyle
    [​IMG]
  15. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Well shit, that puts a sad mark on the end of what looked to be an awesome event.

RIP Steve, and all the best to his family.
  16. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Uh boy, here we go again... :lol3

:wave
  17. NB_CRF'er

NB_CRF'er I got a job, I explore!

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great time had by all at the Soiree! Is this going to be an annual event?
    Sorry to hear about Steve. He was a valuable member of the maritime adventure community & had a big impact on lots of bikers who enjoyed riding in the area, myself included.
    He will be missed...:cry
  18. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:
    Right on both accounts. Misha should have been there and it was a great time.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Sue & I have pretty much confirmed that we will host another Soiree, this time it will be a memorial for Steve.

We've also decided to put a cap on numbers right from the start as we enjoyed the intimate #'s we had at this one, and it's more manageable.

The folks that made it to the first one will have first right of refusal for their spots before we let them go to anyone else.

Plans are already underway here to make it better and run smoother.
  20. VO1MX

VO1MX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool...sounds good Mike sign me up for sure as I had a great time and wouldn't miss next years Soiree on any account :clap