1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Skid plate - oil pan f850GSA

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Kwafo, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I would like your opinion about the skid plate attachment to the bike.

The BMW f850 GS(A) has no tubing running onder the engine. All hits are taken by the skid plate and transferred to the oil pan.

My dealer told me that my engine is sweating between oil pan and engine housing. This got me wondering. How strong is the oil pan, and how should the skid plate be mounted to prevent further damage? Whatever skidplate you mount, the hits will always be transferred to the engine, am I right?

I now have ridden close to 40K km and it seems a little soon for the oil pan to go sweating ;-)

Have not done and tree (stump) skids or something close to that, but the rear shock is kinda soft what causes the belly (with the plastic skidplate) to hit te ground when riding in bumpy terrain with holes around 80 km/h.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    The older F650/f700/F800GS were designed the same way ...
    No frame mounting points for the skidplate just to the engine.
    On the older bikes the main mounts are four Isolation bushings (metal stud on each end big chunk of rubber in the middle)
    So on those bikes, (and if you check the parts fiche I'll bet you find similar design for the 850)

yeah ... the whack gets transferred to the oil pan ... but in a dampened/buffered way ... :1drink

But seriously, I've been here since the older models were announced and never heard of an oil pan fracture due to transferred impact from the skid plate...

that's all I got :drink
  3. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    Hi JRWooden, thanks for your thoughts, it has indeed 4 rubbers that dampen the impact. Lets see how the oil sweating will develop, hopefully no big leaks. If the old bikes could cope with it, lets hope the new bikes will too.
    JRWooden likes this.
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Only pita with the old ones was the Rubber thingies which broke down and would be impossible to un screw afterwards. Remember to grease the attachement points to the engine to give you less headache down the road.
    Kwafo likes this.
  5. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    ...and check the condition of those bolts with rubber thingies annually. I had an aftermarket aluminum skid plate attached to those original BMW bolts since I had the bike new in 2009, and I learned to watch them when I discovered the rubber of two had completely decomposed in the first couple of years, presumably from oil and heat and a few hits. I hadn't seen that the plate was just dangling; lucky I caught it before it made a scene!
    JRWooden likes this.
  6. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tip
  7. oakcutter

oakcutter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Black Dog Cycle Works makes an awesome bash plate. Can't go wrong with it.
    BlackDogCycleWorks and MCMXCIVRS like this.
  8. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    it is gonna be a blackdog or altrider skidplate. Altrider are more gentle to the wallet and I have good experience and no complaints with their products.

Blackdog seems top of the line and heavy duty
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  9. oakcutter

oakcutter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The mounting system on the BD is awesome. It's a well thought pan and customer service is the best. Real people. IMG_20200730_145559790.jpg
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  10. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    oakcutter likes this.