Skiing thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Spam16v, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, searched some and didn’t see a downhill ski thread. Been out of it since 99-00. Got a pair of ~’02 Line 1260 twin tips I never got comfortable on. I preferred clean edge carving and heavy front weighted style skiing and the twins require almost a back seat approach.

I’m so far removed from the Industry over the past nearly 20 years and looking at trying to get back into it. Live near a little resort here south of Buffalo I grew up at and I’m gear shopping. Prefer not to go broke on gear I might not like and I see things have changed heavily since I left NY the first time. CL hasn’t been too much of a help & I’m not on FB for the marketplace so I presume the ski swap might serve me well in a few weeks. Started looking at ski forums and haven’t found the info I’m looking for in the flood of threads. Thanks
    mick likes this.
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    mick and Spam16v like this.
  4. monkeydad

monkeydad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeez, you tryin to give us a heart attack?
    enduro0125 likes this.
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Get a quality boot fitting from someone who knows what they are doing before anything else.
    zoltan and Spam16v like this.
  6. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    AND get your skis/bindings set up properly with your weight and ability. I broke a left leg at 8 yrs old, and destroyed my left leg as a 41-yr old, when the bindings didn't release. The first one, meh, it healed; the second has left me permanently hobbled. Both sets of skis were a) brand new, and b) set up by the ski shops where they were bought.
    Spam16v likes this.
  7. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    I used to instruct, run lifts etc and do 100 days a year in high school. I’m trying to get on track with modern technology. Thanks for the heads up on the Sports forum, didn’t even know it was there.
  8. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Woo-hoo!

Back before some of you kids stopped wearing diapers: Telemark.jpeg
    Woody2627 likes this.
  9. neuklr

neuklr reading, riding, raging against stupidity

Oddometer:
    Thats a pretty good tele turn
  10. Spam16v

Oddometer:
  11. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I have skied the QST 99's for three seasons. These have been my rare powder day skis here in the Midwest and my out west skis. Fun ski, light and poppy. They carve and hold an edge pretty well on everything but really firm snow. They can be a little nervous at really fast speeds. I just bought a new pair of Nordica Enforcer 104's to replace them, so the QST's will be for sale. I've been really satisfied with them and was considering the QST 106's, but wanted to give the Enforcer's a try.
    Spam16v likes this.
  12. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome back to my favorite sport! I've always thought if someone could offer me a perfect day of doing whatever I loved most it would always be a glorious pow day on my downhill boards. I've skiied non-stop for 50 years now and it is still my favorite thing to do out-of-doors.

I am also someone who buys good stuff and takes care of it so it lasts a long time. I can't agree more with the comments above about getting a proper fit and setting for your gear - being settled on your comfort and safety will make every day better regardless of the snow conditions. I would highly recommend going to a reputable shop and talking with the folks there - at 6 foot and 270 pounds you may need a stiffer boot and ski than someone the same height and 100 pounds lighter. I suspect you could overpower a soft ski regardless of it's length... The same goes with boots, ask about their stiffness (yes, there is an industry-recognized standard scale). It's been my experience that within boot manufacturers the stiffness scale is consistent but the actual numbers can vary between manufacturers, i.e. a "100" in Salomon boots may not be the same as 100 in another brand.

Overall width and degree of side cut is an important consideration as well - I like a ski with a lot of side cut for ease of turning on hard pack or ice. I have an old pair of Rossignol "Bandit" skis that have been the best all-mountain, all conditions ski I've ever owned, wide at the tip and tail, lots of side cut, pretty stiff:

[​IMG]

I bought my first pair of "fat" skis a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed them. They are better on soft snow and powder than on ice but are still very good all-around. It took a few runs to get used to how wide they are, felt kinda like I was standing there with a poopy in my pants but got over that and really enjoy them now:

[​IMG]

We had a seriously shitty snow year locally last year... This was "Shay's Revenge" at Western Territories at Snowshoe, West Virginia early in the season:

[​IMG]

Better bicycling conditions than skiing... It got better through the year but not much; it was a wet winter but not cold enough to make snow most of the time and we had very little natural snow. I'm hoping for better conditions this year but the long-range forecast isn't sounding so hot. One of my kids lives in SE Idaho and we can go visit and ski at Grand Targhee, always a blast:

[​IMG]

My brother lives in Salt Lake and we can go visit him. The Wasatch had a record year last year and have already had a couple of snowfalls this year. There is some glorious skiing there...
    ozmoses, Krabill and Spam16v like this.
  13. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    In regards to rocker profiles given my “stature”, would you recommend sticking with a full camber traditional ski @manfromthestix ? I’m an old shaped ski guy stacking UHMW cutting boards for risers and having to trim boot buckles to keep from unlatching my boots back in the day.
  14. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    I think you want more rocker in a ski when you are on soft snow to help the ski "float" rather than dig in at the tip or tail. I've heard people say that the more rocker you have the less effective edge length you have. When skiing the deep powder of Jackson Hole or Grand Targhee or the Wasatch areas I've used skis with modest rocker and they seem to help and edging isn't so important. On hard snow like we have in West Virginia where I ski locally I want all the edge I can get on the ground at all times so I don't want a lot of rocker. Here's a technical article on ski rocker from REI (link).

I think that at your height and weight you're going to over-power a shorter ski, softer ski, and probably a ski with lots of rocker. I'd say the same thing about the boots and bindings - get something that can handle your weight and strength, not some wimpy thing that will blow out every third turn. You can also get boots these days that have rear entry, i.e. no side buckles to drag when you're deep into a turn.

I'm 5'9" and 175 pounds and have skied my whole life on longer, stiffer skis; when I bought my "fat" skis the longest they made were 182 cm, if I remember correctly, so that's what I bought. I ski on 185 cm telemark skis. When I was racing in high school we were on 205 to 215's!!!! I like having a lot of edge on the ground and I'm not intimidated by turning a longer ski. My fat skis are Rossignol "Experience 88" which are billed as an "all-mountain, all conditions" advanced-level ski and I got them from REI; they have loads of helpful articles to help narrow down your choices. I think I'd stay away from hybrid or specialty skis unless you can afford multiple pairs for specific snow conditions. Is there someplace local you can rent demo skis during the season? If that's an option I'd suggest skiing a few different skis before buying. You can search for "all mountain" skis and see what your options are.

Good luck, I hope your first season "back in the saddle" goes well!
    Spam16v likes this.
  15. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    Going to be skiing the east coast crud. Granulated man made slush and sloppy as it comes. Thanks
    manfromthestix likes this.
  16. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Where are you skiing south of Buffalo? I get to Holiday Valley-Holimont a couple times a year. I also hit the PA resorts in the Laurels, and also try to hit WV once a year. The new stuff is so much better than the old stuff!! Go to a good shop, listen to them, get fitted, and enjoy the best winter sport in the world!
    Spam16v likes this.
  17. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

No shit.

[​IMG]

The white ribbon of death.

I sure hope we get a decent snow pack this season!
    Spam16v likes this.
  18. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    You want "front side" of the mountain skis, not the stuff everyone wants here in the west. You need, IMHO, a detuned GS race ski that'll hold an edge when it gets hard - and NY snow gets real hard. I grew up skiing at West Mtn (7 mile drive) and moved on to Gore (45 mile drive) when my buddies and I got our drivers licenses. Spent many a day on blue boilerplate and the only thing that'll keep you in a turn is a race ski or a detuned version of a race ski. If you were going to spend your winters in Colorado or Utah . . . completely different story. Just my $0.02 and likely worth less than what you've paid for it.
  19. ts01

ts01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on priority = boots! Given your experience though you probably know enough to make a good choice at ski swaps - looks like those are on your radar. "Good choice" = anything not too beat up that actually fits you, i.e., one or two finger-gap behind the heel when you've removed the liner; a shape that works for your foot; and on the stiffer side given your weight and weightlifting.

Skis - Hannda's front-side/detuned GS ski is on point for the area you're skiiing. But also consider the "narrow" end of the all-mountain offerings. Volkl Kendo, Rossi Experience 88, Blizzard Brahma, Fischer Motive 86/88, etc.

I bet you'll find plenty of good choices at the swap, show up early and ask questions.

If that fails try posting a "want to buy" post here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/9-Gear-Swap-(List-View) . You'll get razzed but chances are you'll also get some good offers.
    Spam16v and Hannda like this.
  20. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of like new Dynastar WC Speed Master (same as Rossi Hero Master) 180cm for sale. Great hard snow ski, but if you can't ski the edges, they are not for you.
    Spam16v likes this.