Skiing thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Spam16v, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live very close to Kissing Bridge and grew up working there.
    What models would be considered a detuned GS ski for example?

Not sure what condition/mounted/unmounted etc, but drop me a line, I might be interested pending costs... They look to have an integrated binding setup from a quick google search. Clean edge and carving was always my preferred style.

I’ll definitely have this info when I go to the swap here in a few weeks. Thanks
  2. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

if you are skiing the east coast and want a one ski quiver biased towards carving, get Blizzard Brahmas.
    Spam16v likes this.
  3. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    I grew up skiing in NH, I was a poor kid and the skiing was a gift from my grandma. It was my one non-poor kid thing I ever got to do. We moved to South Carolina when I was 12. I was pissed at my mom for taking me away from skiing for years. fast forward to 2 years ago in my late 30's. Realized I lived in Colorado and could do real skiing for the first time. First season was about 50 days. Last season I went full ski bum and worked in a ski shop 4 days a week and skied the other 3. Got about 90 days in. about half backcountry. The snow was so good all season. Was shooting for 120 day season, and backcountry skiing into July. Around the end of April, I hit burnout and switched to MTB. Had an awesome bike season, progressed like crazy, rode a shit ton, bike park, you name it. Sept 1, I went down on a big jump at the bike park and tore my PCL. No skiing for me until at least March. Really bummed. Going to be hitting that gym and watching a lot of videos, I guess. Gonna have to get back into photography or painting or something. 3-5 days a week biking and skiing down to zero. WACK. have a good season and stay safe out there, folks.
    Hannda, ts01 and Spam16v like this.
  4. ts01

ts01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It will make you stronger. Hang in there.

Whatever happens to your body you can strengthen, or calm, your head. Whatever happens this year you can always plan to ski next year and ten years out.
    Spam16v likes this.
  5. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Teton gravity......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corbett's Couloir at Jackson Hole. Now that is a ski run!

One of my kids is a manager at Grand Targhee on the west side of the Tetons, what an awesome place to ski. The kids shredding:

[​IMG]

I'm heading out to visit them in two weeks but there won't be ski-able snow yet. They got hammered in the recent blizzard but it will likely melt off before it really starts to accumulate.

I'm getting excited for the ski season! It's supposed to be mid-90's here today and tomorrow and then Fall will FINALLY hit for real. I'm sick of the heat and humidity we've had this summer, blah.
    Spam16v likes this.
  6. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm getting older too.... I used to bounce, now I break. :lol3

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Spam16v likes this.
  7. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not old! it was just, uh, a freak accident.
    manfromthestix and Spam16v like this.
  8. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

I skied there last year. I'm a pretty good skier and regularly ski double black diamonds, steeps, drops, etc. Was all gung ho to ski Corbetts. Stood at the top and was like...uhhhh you people are fucking crazy. Can't believe people do back flips off that thing. not to mention the guy on the sit ski.
    Spam16v likes this.
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm not skiing down that.
    Spam16v likes this.
  10. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tore my Achilles last November. Can’t wait to get back on the sticks.
    Spam16v likes this.
  11. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll ski it someday. Forgot to mention that it was closed when I was there. They were shaping the lip for the King's and Queens of Corbetts. Which I missed by two days.
    Spam16v likes this.
  12. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

whoops. start around :18
    Spam16v likes this.
  13. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the QST 99's in 181cm. Fun ski so far. I haven't tried it in the powder or crud yet, but it does well on the easy stuff.
    Spam16v likes this.
  14. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    SourKraut and Spam16v like this.
  15. zoltan

zoltan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

First run I ever skied at the Village.

I had come up from Vail with 3 friends who were competing in one of the early Extreme Ski contests, 1996ish. It was a 10" powder day and there had been several 12" days prior so it was hero snow for the most part, except where you landed.

I was the last of my friends to drop and the only one on tele gear. The tele gear of the day was not made for such abuse and i double ejected on impact,
    luckily I didn't break one of those feeble cables. Needless to say my friends bolted into the storm as I gathered my gear. I ended up hooking up with some locals for the rest of the day and had a blast.

That trip was the catalyst for me to move there the next year and spoil myself with 10 years of big mountain powder skiing. IMO JHMR and surrounding backcountry (GTNP, TP, etc..) has the best terrain and most consistent/stable snow out west.

:edit: sorry, can't recommend a modern ski. I had to pay my dues ski bumming for 20ish years and ended up with a REAL JOB in the front range, but it sounds like 110mm is the minimum waist
    manfromthestix likes this.
  16. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think you want a 110 ski on the east coast. I’d go more like 90.
    zoltan and FatChance like this.
  17. RyanE

RyanE Diamond on your timepiece

Oddometer:
    Great Scott. I've spent my entire life skiing in the west, that looks terrible. But the lack of snow means dirt biking is still a viable option!

We had a fairly poor snow year last year. It looked like this.

20190310_130928.jpg
    manfromthestix likes this.
  18. RyanE

Oddometer:
    Ah yes. The Couloir . I was there in 2011. A great snow year. I took the easy way in, sidestep skiers left, make a quick 90 at the rock face then drop in. Lots of snow when I was there so it was only a 8-10' drop going in on the side. No way was I going to drop the full 30' off the lip!

Committed now!
    FB_IMG_1570203350968.jpg

Halfway down and looking back up.
    FB_IMG_1570203437153.jpg
    Once you drop in, it's a pretty standard chute. Actually, it's very spacious. Just that damned entry.
  19. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    East Coaster here. My current quiver-of-one is the '18-19 Rossi Super 7 with Marker Kingpins. There are plenty of days I'm happy to have 116 underfoot with a ton of rocker, and they actually turn really well on cruddy packed stuff. Faster than a lot of GS skis out there, at least with a 190 lb driver!

East Coast ain't all trees and ice! (Well, ok mostly)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not Corbett's, but this entry was sketchy as hell!
    [​IMG]
    manfromthestix, zoltan and RyanE like this.
  20. RyanE

Oddometer:
    That looks awesome! My kinda terrain.