Skiing thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Spam16v, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Elektrix

Elektrix Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Small world indeed. I grew up on South St right in the village of EA. In high school (93-97) you could get a seasons pass for Tamarack real cheap so me and my buddies spent a lot of time there. It was quite the winter time gathering spot for us kids. Perhaps you knew Pete? I think that was his name, used to be the owner. We were always on the lookout for him cuz he didn’t appreciate our shenanigans lol. Between Tamarack, KB and the Saturday bus to Holiday Valley through the EA rec. dept., we’d sometimes ski 5 days a week.

I also raced the Sprague Brook mountain bike series and have done Raccoon Rally at Holiday. My racing career was short lived, I just wasn’t fast on a bike and got frustrated pretty quick. Still ride Sprague Brook and Hunter’s Creek sometimes. There’s definitely something about KB that feels like home to me having spent SO much time there (never worked there though). I actually considered buying a place in Craneridge but the small lots and lack of garages killed it for me. LOL @ Snob’s Knob!

Yup, I have a couple bikes. I like riding the back roads out here such as Boston State Rd in to Springville then Rt 39 over to 16. 240 is decent when the pavement isn’t thrashed. 242 from 16 in to Ellicottvile is a nice run too. Like skiing around here, gotta make the best of the roads we have. I’d be happy to meet up for a ride!
    Spam16v likes this.
  2. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    I started skiing when you had lace up leather boots. In the 60's in PA. at Blue Knob, which was as icy as it gets.
    I was too small to even use the rope tow, so an adult put me between their legs for the ride up.
    To fit skis they told you to hold your arm straight up over your head and bend your wrist.
    Then they found a ski that fit that, so you skied on very long skis. When I was a teenager living out west,
    I had a pair of Kneissl Super G's in 205, they were so fast I got out of control many times and crashed at speed.
    After many years of not skiing because of a knee injury, I went again back in 2016 and the skis used today just about turn themselves
    with the way they are made. It was a lot less srtessful on my knee than I thought and had a great time.

The problem is the price. Lift tickets over $100, food on the slopes is really good now, but you pay $15 for a cheeseburger.
    Spam16v likes this.
  3. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

Lol. Your friend is an infamous dipshit. Who spends $1000’s to go heli skiing and doesn’t have brakes or a leash on their skis? Working in a ski shop, had and overheard many laughs at your friend’s expense since that video came out.
    Spam16v likes this.
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Label him in whatever manner makes you feel proud. He's a great guy, on what was his first heli-ski and you may assume that he might not operate under the same budget constraints that some of your pals in the ski shop might. All in fun. I'd go w/ him any day.

It's the better man that can laugh at his own mistakes.
    OldBarKeep and Spam16v like this.
  5. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. A rich dude with no common sense, who can’t ski, wasting his money.
    Spam16v likes this.
  6. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously? You think the guy doesn’t have brakes? You work in a ski shop? Pretty common to see a runaway ski blast down the fall line in the gnar gnar. Sometimes, brakes take a long time to work in the fluff. Heli companies make their $$$ from rich dudes who can’t ski. You know that.
  7. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! I’ve done worse...ghost rode my sled with the skis still on the sled... Legion, let’s meet at the sitz for beers sometime at the end of a pow day.
    Spam16v likes this.
  8. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    they do sometimes. which is why in the bc, especially deep in the bc away from help, some folks run leashes. I slowed the video down and he does have brakes, I stand corrected. You are also correct that not just heli skiing, but the entire ski industry survives on the backs of rich dudes that can't ski. I still think it's hilarious that some rich dude that apparently can't ski in powder and had his DIN's set to approximately 0.5 spent heli ski money to lose a ski at the top.

and no, I don't work in a ski shop anymore. It was a one season working vacation from my normal career.
    Spam16v likes this.
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I'll be looking forward to it!

I agree that a leash and a tighter setting would've been a great idea. That said, I and several of my friends have had a ton of bad ideas and almost all of 'em are remembered well. :thumb
    Spam16v and sledneck like this.
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    I just realized that this will be my 60th ski season. I started skiing in Minnesota back in 1959 before moving to Colorado in the late 60s. Lots of wonderful old and new memories, only one broken bone (left thumb) and I survived being buried in an avalanche!
  11. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    True,though it's the better skier who doesn't lose his ski. ;)
    Spam16v likes this.
  12. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    odd timing- just got off the phone with the season pass office at my local mtn...
    Spam16v likes this.
  13. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a pass this year. Orthopedist says I'll be skiing by Jan or Feb. rates go up on oct 17th. I could buy insurance for it, but then that negates the savings on buying early. I also have a M-F 9 to 5 job this season so I'll be a weekend warrior for the first time. Ugh.
    Spam16v likes this.
  14. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having spent shit tons of time skiing the backcountry, there is no way in hell I am strapping on the boards in that sort of terrain without putting leashes on too! I lost a ski, with brakes, inbounds once and took me nearly an hour to find the fucker. If its powder, the leashes go on. I am far from rich and I have gone heli skiing at whistler. I've done plenty of bonehead shit and I agree with @legion its the better man that can laugh at his mistakes. I'm sure you never made any mistakes. :lol3
    Spam16v and legion like this.
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Very cool. You win the thread!
    Spam16v and manfromthestix like this.
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I started skiing long ago enough that my first boots were leather and harnessed to the ski yet if I have a good year on the slopes in 2019/20 there's a high likelihood I'll lose a ski at some point. Shit happens and when it does I'll laugh it off. My preferred skiing partners aren't perfect either.
    manfromthestix and Spam16v like this.
  17. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. The day I took that picture the snow was REALLY hard and the patrol guys checked it out and declined. If they won't jump in I'm certainly not going to :nah. It's narrow at the top so a few jump turns are necessary, then it widens out nicely. With good soft snow it's a hoot, but I ain't doin' no back flip into it either! :eek7

We finally got some cooler weather here plus some badly needed rain. I'm doing all sorts of snow dances this fall, I'd love to see a decent snow year locally. The most important thing I'm doing to ensure crappy weather (i.e. good ski conditions) is building a house. The minute we broke ground we also broke the two month drought, ha ha! What was a dust bowl last week is now a mud pit. Oh well...

A friend here in Virginia grew up skiing locally and had never been out to the Rockies before going to Snowbird for a week last year - during the time they got 100 inches for the week. When he got back he said he's now ruined for life. :lol3

When I skied a lot at Jackson I used to see a guy routinely that had no legs, none at all, so he was strapped onto a snowboard at the waist in a special binding. The lift operators would stop the lift for him, load him on the chair, and stop it again and off-load him at the top. I got behind him several times and I could not keep up with him, he shredded that mountain so fast it was incredible. I always thought that was sofa king cool that the operators worked so hard to help. I can only imagine how absolutely liberating shredding down that mountain must feel to that guy.
    Spam16v and FatChance like this.
  18. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Best of luck.

[​IMG]
    manfromthestix and Spam16v like this.
  19. BMWS

BMWS Calibration Due

Oddometer:
    Dynastar Legend 88 for out west, and Speed Zone 12's for our 240 ft vertical nar at our local pimple.
    Although, the 88s work darn good local also.
    Spam16v likes this.
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    This thread got me thinking about skis I'd enjoyed long ago... Hexcel PrimerCord, Olin Mk IV's, Head Killy's, and a bunch of others. Current ski is a Nordica SpeedMachine and I'm really interested in trying some of the wider boards but have no idea what to get. I do like to point and tuck a bit and would like to avoid excessive board chatter but beyond that ski tech has passed me by and I don't know what to get. I hear great things about the newer profiles but know nothing of them.

I went to REI last Sunday and was surprised to see that all of what they had were wide and only a couple mfg names I recognized. The graphics are much nicer for sure. Any suggestions beyond 'hey buy something wider with a cool top'? :lol3
    Spam16v likes this.