Skiing thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Spam16v, Sep 22, 2019.

1. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Where's all the corduroy?:D

Try Snowshoe, WV; the first time I saw this statement I could hardly believe they were crowing about it:

[​IMG]

I have trouble with that shit when it sets up real crispy; I have to pay attention that my turns/transitions don't parallel the tastiness when I'm unweighted 'cuz that delightful stuff will grab an edge and toss me on my ass, like crossing railroad tracks on a bicycle. I have been schooled a number of times regardless which skis I'm on at the time, wide or narrow, downhill or telemark. Faster seems to be better than slower on that crap. I am NOT a fan of corduroy. :bluduh :nah

@legion, I've enjoyed my Rossignol Experience 88's (link) and got them from REI for a good price. I have a very long history with Rossi and they have always been good skis, IMHO.
    Spam16v likes this.
  2. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    Unperfect ski buddies can be a hoot to ski with! I was following a buddy of mine down a black diamond in about 16 inches of fresh pow one morning, first tracks on that run, just perfect conditions. I was following kinda close because I had my GoPro on my helmet and was filming him. He was doing great, making a series of really nice fast deep turns and I was cutting 8's behind him, both of us just reveling in the perfect conditions. About halfway down the mountain the run splits with one branch going left and the other right. I could sense that he had some indecision for just a split second about which branch to take and that was enough to blow his rhythm and BOOM down he went, complete yard sale, equipment flying in all directions and a huge cloud of powder drifting across the slope, like a bomb had gone off. It took him forever to find all his shit and get dressed and back on the skis but that was OK 'cuz it took me that long to stop laughing hysterically and get back to the serious business of skiing awesome powder. I e-mail him a copy of that video every Fall so as to remind him to buy his season pass so we can go have some more fun. :D
    BikePilot, Spam16v and Hannda like this.
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lighten up,Francis.
    Spam16v and nomad_games like this.
  4. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate skiing under lifts-always have,always will. I'm delicate like that.

But one time on the ride up I realized it would be first tracks in 12"+ of fresh powder from the night before.

The choice was clear.

It was like being in a bowl full of sugar all the way down,turn after perfect silent turn-glorious!

Just before the end of the run I stopped to have a look back at my tracks and,BAM!

I just... fell over.

Naturally,the two ladies on the lift gave me a round of applause.
    manfromthestix and Spam16v like this.
  5. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

You guys are funny. You know damn well if someone here hadn't said it was their buddy, you'd all be laughing and criticizing him, too. There's nothing that isn't hilarious about some rich dude busting his ass in the first 3 feet of a $1000 powder run and losing his ski. "good guy" or not.
    legion, Spam16v and ozmoses like this.
  6. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. I grew up skiing Pat's Peak in NH and thought it was the best thing ever. Now after 2 seasons in CO (with big powder days at JH, Alta, and Snowbird last year), I don't think I can ever ski the east coast again.

that's the sit ski. I wonder if it's the same dude that did Corbett's last year. I've seen quite a few videos, and that guy shreds.

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/video-sit-skier-sends-corbets-couloir-at-kings-and-queens-19
  7. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, east coast or west coast? Groomers or all around the mountain ski's? My first ski's were Hexcel Sundances with Burt bindings and Hansen boots.
    Spam16v likes this.
  8. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    You new here? Sanctimony is the ADV mascot. :lol2
  9. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I certainly dont disagree with that. Having never taken a lesson and learning to ski on telemark gear in the backcountry I may be a little sensitive as I was 'that guy' for a very long time. Fuck, the yard sales were epic! In the early years, I carried my skis down more hills than I skied.

Except I am not now nor will I ever be rich.
  10. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

man, I cant imagine trying to learn how to ski in the bc. must have taken forever. and on tele, too. yikes.

I got lucky. My fam was super poor, but my grandparents had money (which they never spent, total stereotype of the depression era folks that have a ton of money but still wear the same walmart clothes every day and drive an old beat to shit truck), so in elementary school, my xmas present for 5 years was my grandma paying for me to do my elementary school's ski school program. I didnt get to ski from 12 years old until I was 38, but when I got back on the skis at 38, after a week I was up to black diamonds again. Two seasons in, and I'm jumping off cliffs and skiing the steepest stuff I can find. I still want to take lessons, though. Feel like my carving could be better, and I wouldn't mind being better at bumps.

My send-it mentality definitely has led to some epicly embarassing yard sales, though. also, the first half of that first season back, I wrecked more times and more ways that I can remember.
    Spam16v likes this.
  11. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got into skiing tangentially to all the climbing I had been doing. I'd go with my buddies on skis and they would be back at the car drinking beer as I came slogging up. Now I ski and rarely climb. The first time I locked my heel down was almost biblical. I sold my tele gear gear, went to AT gear and never looked back.
  12. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    Any of you epic powder hounds ever buried a ski?
    What a waste of time when everyone else is is getting fresh tracks and you have only one ski!
    A tip I learned, and used, was to clip a 10 foot length of day glow Flagging Tape to the brake/binding. Stuff the slack up you pant leg.
    You will thank me later.
    Those damn skis can end up far from the scene of the crime.
    BikePilot and Spam16v like this.
  13. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

Cracks me up when they come out with white powder skis.
  14. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

gotcha. Interesting way to end up skiing. spring/early summer 2018, I A/T skied some 14ers. It was fun. I planned to do a ton of them last season, but by the time it was 14er season, I was so burnt out on skiing that I switched to biking instead. Didn't think it was possible to get burnt out skiing, but after 8 months working in a ski shop, and skiing about 90 days in a season, I was done when it hit late April and the bike trails started drying out.
    Spam16v likes this.
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to do this. Managed to come out of a binding once in waist deep pow at Vail last season and it took me a good 30 minutes to find the ski. It traveled quite a distance under the snow.

I run leashes on my at skis and was thinking a leash might make sense on a pow ski as well.
    Spam16v likes this.
  16. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Deep pow for us is 6", brakes work fine.
    Spam16v likes this.
  17. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's the same guy. The fellow I used to see had no legs at all, like nothing from the waist down, and was on a snow board. The guy in that video apparently has legs in the plastic binding/protective case on his ski.

Oh Gawd I had some early Hansen boots too - they were SO COMFORTABLE (hot wax injected for a custom fit) after all the crappy old leather boots and early buckle boots I had those things were glorious! Unfortunately those fuckers were also about 15 pounds the pair and worst of all about a foot wide at the ball of your foot. Whenever you'd carve into a really deep turn on packed powder or hard snow the side of the boot would hit the snow and lift the ski edge right off = instant yard sale. The outsides of my boots were all scarred up from that and the insides were cut to shit from hitting them with the other ski. I lasted one year on those things and then moved to a Scott Superlight, the diametric opposite of the Hansen. I wish they still made that Scott boot, they were so light and had adjustable forward lean. I skied mine for several years until they just blew up one day.

That's an awesome idea! If I ever get the chance to ski epic pow again I'll remember that! And yeah, I worked for a season at Sun Valley (between college careers :D) and there was a shop in the village that rented metal detectors for that purpose. The ski will sometimes roll onto an edge and just follow the tip until it loses momentum and it could go literally anywhere.

Speaking of awseome lift line runs, when I was in school I had season passes at Steamboat (my all-time favorite place, simply an amazing mountain). I remember heavy powder days and skiing under the Four Points lift because there were huge boulders with big drops all along the line, just freaking AWESOME. I didn't care for the audience but there wasn't another run at the place with that kind of terrain. I'm getting a woody just remembering some of the epic days we had there.... The most epic tree run ever, Shadows.... Storm Mountain.... really high speed Giant Slolom runs under the tram (on my 215 cm C4's, literally as stiff as leaf springs off a Dodge PowerWagon).... Must get back there soon!

<<whimper>>>>
    Spam16v likes this.
  18. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

Steamboat has some of the best snow you will ever ski, also some of the best tree skiing. but last year after skiing there a few days, I got really bored. There isn't much in the way of expert terrain there. If you want to do mellow tree skiing all day, it's terrific, but if you're looking for something challenging, it gets boring pretty quick. First time I went on a 2' powder was awesome. The last few times I went, I left thinking I prob wouldn't go out of my way to ski there again. It is nice to have an alternative to Winter Park and Copper for a change every once in a while.

in other news, got our first snow today. mostly succeeded in making the roads awful. my dog's excited, though.
    Spam16v likes this.
  19. manfromthestix

Oddometer:
    I'm having trouble feeling your pain... My local area is considered one of the best "East Coast/Mid-Atlantic" areas and a round-trip run takes about seven minutes, including chair time. :cry
    Spam16v likes this.
  20. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't envy skiers that live on the east coast. getting in 130 days in the last two seasons in CO, UT, and WY has definitely spoiled me. It will require something pretty damn amazing to top the 3' powder days I had at Alta and Snowbird, followed two weeks later by skiing Jackson Hole on 2 powder days during the deepest February they've ever had since they opened. That terrain and snow is so good... I've been thinking about moving to Jackson or SLC ever since. Pretty sure I will when my lease is up and I hit a year at this job, which happen at the same time.

JH is insane. I swear I was skiing downhill for 30 minutes straight in one run before I made it back to the chair, off the top from the gondola. flip side is, it takes 30 minutes to get back up to the top.
    Spam16v likes this.