Skiing thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Spam16v, Sep 22, 2019.

1. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    absolutely get a helmet. head injuries are no joke. Ask me how I know. My helmet from last year has some major dents in it from a couple crashes. granted, I ski more aggressively than most, but still.

plus these days, they're warm and comfortable, so there's no reason not too.
    drrod1 and Spam16v like this.
  2. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    I didn't wear a helmet riding my motorcycles for about 30 years but started to when I realized that it was more comfortable to wear a helmet when riding. Same with skiing. Get a good ski helmet that fits your head shape. The fit varies just like motorcycle helmets.
    OldBarKeep, Hannda and Spam16v like this.
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    It's always entertaining to make fun of the people not wearing helmets, while riding the lift.
    Spam16v likes this.
  4. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helmet from Oakley just showed up. Standard issue discount made it sting less.
    Hannda likes this.
  5. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    man, being out with this knee injury is really starting to get to me. super bummed I can't ski. the way the healing is going, I doubt I'll be on skis any sooner than March. :(
    Spam16v likes this.
  6. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I felt the same way last year. I blew my achilles the week before thanksgiving. I managed to get one day of skiing in March.
    Spam16v and nomad_games like this.
  7. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    i guess every season can't be 85+ days of blower pow.
    Spam16v likes this.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I got about 90 days last season, not bad for Iowa ice and one trip to CO. If I ski this weekend, it will be two days this year and then surgery on my foot the day before Thanksgiving. So I'm pretty much done, unless I'm up for some late spring skiing in CO.
    Spam16v likes this.
  9. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    I am an avid snowboarder and nordic skier, but I always wanted to try out downhill skiing. I have a season pass at Purgatory this year, so I was keeping an eye out for a cheap setup to learn on before the snow gets really good and I only want to snowboard.
    I found this at the thrift store today for $18. Seems to be in good shape. Is it decent enough stuff to learn on? I'm kind of tall, are 170's going to be long enough?
    fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg
    Spam16v likes this.
  10. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    170 will be fine for learning. those are pretty carvy skis, they won't be the easiest to learn on, but should be ok. your biggest issue will probably be the boots. Did you try them on? Boot fit is an ordeal, it's likely you will find they don't fit you after a few days. You may find that the bindings are old enough that people won't work on them. Ski manufacturers and shops are very touchy about liability with old bindings. I cant remember which bindings those are, but I think they're on the cusp of indemnification.
    Spam16v likes this.
  11. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    The boots fit perfectly. They even fit in the bindings. The bindings are Salomon S810 Ti. How can I find out if they are indemnified?
    Spam16v likes this.
  12. Spud99

Spud99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strap em on, find a nice carpeted stairway and do some laps.
    Spam16v likes this.
  13. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

call a Salomon dealer and ask them.
    Spam16v likes this.
  14. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    :stupid We got them after one day at A Basin when some idiot nearly hit me from behind, completely out of control at 50mph. Skiing friends had recommended them, but that day flipped the switch for us. The unexpected benefit was the warmth and comfort.:deal
    Spam16v likes this.
  15. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    The S810 Ti is still indemnified I believe, but I can verify it this weekend when I'm at the shop mounting my sons gear for the season. Just being on the list is one thing, but doing a torque test (usually $30-40 at most shops) is money well spent to know more if the Springs are still working within range. Also, that model has adjustable toe wings if I remember correctly so you can make sure it fits the boot well. That G3 should be a good all around ski, and a little short is fine for learning. It's not like people didnt have fun on it in 2001 or so, whenever it came out. It sold well for us when I worked there.

Helmets. I used to only wear one for racing snowboards, now it is all the time, and usually in a full face. I got a Sweet one late last year when I broke my full face, and feel really exposed. I feel naked without one the few times I've gone out without it.
    OldBarKeep, Hannda, Omi and 1 other person like this.
  16. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep. I forgot my helmet one day last year after having ridden to the slopes with a friend in their car the previous day, left my helmet in her car and totally forgot about it. I wasn't going to go all the way out there and not ski, and the rental shop didn't have anything left in my size, so I skied without one. Felt very exposed and no bueno.
  17. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have ever had a concussion, its stupid to not wear a helmet as concussive injuries are cumulative. Frankly, I think its stupid to not wear a helmet regardless, but to each their own. Having suffered a couple concussions, I am very protective of my noggin and wear a helmet when I ski, bike or ride motorcycles.
    Spam16v and Hannda like this.
  18. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today was opening day at Snowshoe, WV with a base of zero natural and 55 inches of man-made "snow". They had a very cold November up there and made "snow" like demons in order to get open a week before Thanksgiving, the earliest in the 12 years I've lived in Virginia. The snow-making crew up there are magicians, they routinely beat Mother Nature into submission and keep that place ski-able all season.

I bought my first helmet about 15 years ago after an out-of-control skier wiped me out at Beaver Creek in Colorado. She rang my bell GOOD. That original helmet got split in half when a snow boarder wiped me out three years ago and I slammed the back of my head onto the ice. I'm pretty sure I would have taken a toboggan trip off the hill and spent the night in the hospital if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. I replaced the broken one with a top of the line Gyro and I love that thing, wouldn't think of hitting the slopes without it.
    Spam16v likes this.
  19. HighAlpineDrifter

HighAlpineDrifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course, I finally get new skis this year and no snow so far. Maybe this weekend.
    Spam16v likes this.
  20. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    You guys should move to Iowa...we opened last weekend. lol
    Spam16v likes this.