Skinner's Broken (bad)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by LIP, Dec 28, 2004.

1. LIP

LIP Open Mouth and insert LEG

Oddometer:
    Skinner and I went out for the maiden voyage on a new to me 2004 Honda XR400 and him on the KTM 525 up at Bong Rec Center in Kenosha County, WI this afternoon. He was ahead of me on the trail (very surprising : ) and was riding fairly tame when he went down on his right side.

My first reaction was I wished I had the camera as he did like a sideways sumersault and popped back up like he "meant to do that". Then he said that he was hurt and his arm was going numb. At first I thought that he was kidding like he would do, but the wincing look on his face and the 'pain dance' was not that of someone that was kidding. His next words were the saying of the day: "Damn, that ground was hard".

Then he felt his collar bone and said 'I think I broke my collar bone'. To which I replied, 'what can I do to help you?'. He asked me to start up his bike and first he asked me to ride it out to the road, but he said he would ride it out. He got on the 525 and rode it back to the truck/trailer. I tried to ride ahead and get ready for him, but took a wrong turn back to the lot so he was there before me anyway.

I loaded up the bikes and had to help him get his right boot off. The guy parked next to us saw him go down on the trail and came over to see if he was OK. He gave Skinner some Tylenol and wished him well. We left and drove back to the Acute Care Center of Lake Forest Hospital in Grayslake, IL and Skinner's wife was there waiting for us. As I have said before 'Skinner's much better half'. I went and unloaded all the stuff from the truck and trailer and went back about 1.5 hours later. Skinner was still waiting for x-rays, so I took some photos and gave him back his camera. You guys may have to wait a few days for the photos as he is in some pain right now.

I just talked to him around 6:00 PM and this happened before 2:00 PM. He broke his clavicle in 3 places so he is out for a few months.:cry

I guess they gave him some pain meds and sent him home. They told him there is nothing they can do for him there and he is going to need Surgery so he should follow up with his Orthopedic guy.

Personally, I wish him a speedy recovery with really good pain meds.

LIP
  2. McD

McD Nothing

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that.. Jim is one tough SOB to ride out with broken bones like that. 1st beer is on me at the winter ride... I'm sure he'll still make it.
  3. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    YIKES!! :eek1 Heal up fast Skinner, I live vicariously through your frequent rides. :thumb
  4. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    :huh Bummer

I hope your recovery is speedy and your pain meds sufficient.
  5. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    I typing with one hand. Skinner wife signed me on. Yes busted bad. Surgery, completel snapped the bones in 3 places ( ONE BONE IS BROKE OFF AND JUST FLOAING AROUND). I love vicadin! I'll post a pic of the xrays. I'll check in tommorrow night and fill in the details. Thanks for the good wishes it picked me up a bit.:kurt
  6. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you've had surgery before but if not...you're gonna LOVE the sensation of going under anesthesia...w00t!! :nod

Hope you start the healing soon and can make it to the winter ride in. :thumb
  7. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    Skinner,

Glad to hear it wasn't worse!! Hopefully you'll be ready by Spring...
  8. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Damn dude, that sucks. Luckily you did it during the winter so you shouldn't miss much summer riding. I broke mine 6 years ago in a motorcycle accident so I know how bad it sucks.

b.t.w. is there alot of trails to ride at Bong?
  9. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Man, I hate hearing bad news like that. Damn, that sucks! Skinner, I don't know ya but I feel for ya. Heal swiftly!
  10. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    heal fast squirrel man. :thumb

at least you didn't go down at the beginning of riding season (:rolleyes), you'll be ready in time for the thaw.

don't neglect your PT.

:freaky
  11. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:

That is a good thing. My big wrecks both happened in the month of November. Fortunately I didn't get hurt either time and I had all winter to repair my bike.
  12. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Wait....WTF ?

Skinner fell ? I truly did not think that was even possible.

I bet the KTM's are all huddled in the garage whispering "I knew we should have gotten someone who needed less maintenance."

Skinner my friend, I wish you a speedy recovery -- you've got tours to give.

You're a tough bastard with a fistful of pain meds...I'm sure you'll be riding in no time.

:thumb
  13. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    Damn Jim, I hope you get better quick.

If surgery is an option I say go for it. Everyone I talk to who had a shoulder injury and did not got for th surgery wishes they had. I am doing well after my crash this summer.

PM for more details if yout want.

I hope you can still make the winter ride, even if it is just to camp and drink with everyone.

I have a cryo cuff if you want it - made a big difference in comfort when it came time to try and sleep.

. . . and yeah Vicodin fucking rules.

I'll PM you my phone nuber if you wanna talk about it man.

I am looking forward to riding with you when you get back on the horse.

We'll need to have a ride in your honor when you are riding again.

I hope get better fast my friend.

dave
  14. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Skinner knows about the healing properties of a fresh killed squirel. He should be back on the bike by New Years at the latest.

Seriously though, hope you heal quick.
  15. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    :yikes Damn! Get better soon :thumb
  17. LIP

LIP Open Mouth and insert LEG

Oddometer:
    rokklym:

There are 3 different loops to ride for a total of about 6-7 miles. They are mostly grooved from ATV's, but are fun anyway.

Skinner and I were just trying to get some saddle time in, and I had taken the thumper plunge on Monday so we were checking out the new ride. Not quite the adventure I had hoped for, but an adventure nonetheless.

BTW, the XR is a very fun bike, and much easier to ride in the dirt than my R11GS.

PS. Skinner, where are the rest of the pics...?
  18. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    Where the stupidest people on earth run things
    Nasty break. Did mine in September & now I've got a really big lump where it knitted one piece on top of the other. It is so disfiguring that I had to give up my modeling job. :lol3

Heal up quickly Skinner.
  19. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    Yaow! :cry Heal quickly, listen to the doc.

I broke mine earlier this year. If it's your first one, here's a piece of advice. A two-to-four weeks down the road it will start feeling like it's knitted together. DON'T BEAR WEIGHT YET! It's just a big clump of clotted blood that holds the bones together. If you wiggle it loose, it may not heal straight. It will heal eventually, but the less you load it during that period, the smaller the bump or bone displacement will be.

FWIW, I broke mine in April, and was back on the bike (easy) in June. Though it took until late fall to recover the full range of motion.

Cheer up and heal up!
    --
    Ilya
  20. Fireman88

Fireman88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim:

Sorry to hear about the accident! I have never seen you fall on any bike other than the time in Michigan when I had to lift the 950 off of your ass when you fell down that hill. Get well soon! We will need to plan rides! I was sick myself yesterday and could not even get off the couch, so I didn't learn about this until today.

Mitch:

Now you are putting the pressure on me to get a thumper.