Skinner's Broken (bad)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by LIP, Dec 28, 2004.

1. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OUCH! Kinda been there/done that, but not that bad!

Like others have said - give it time to heal! I'd also recommend some calcium suplement -- helps re-grow the bones.

Take care and we'll see you soon.

Karl
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the get off.

Wow!, that x-ray........yuck! :eek1

Heal quick :nod
  3. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know what an x-ray of shoulder is spozeta look like, but I'm pretty sure it's not like that. Ouch.

Heal well and quickly.
  4. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I broke the back side of my collar bone (left side) about 18 months ago. It didn't need surgury but I did have bone fragments floating around (and still do, I think). To this day it still feels "loose" but my break was out by the socket. I do know this; it's one of the worst injuries I've ever had to endure and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Be thankful for Mrs. Skinner. My wife had to help me shower and dress (I'm left handed). If I were single when this happened, I would have really been in trouble.

Hope you feel better soon.

See you in the Spring - Dave.
  5. Panic

Panic Anxiety's little friend

Oddometer:
    Hey Skinner........Bad break man. That xray gave me the willies. :huh
    Hope the surgery goes well and heal up fast.
  6. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nasty break. Follow doc's advice to the letter. This is a time to be in another's care. Enjoy the meds and catch up on reality TV, soaps, and good books. Take care,

- Mark
  7. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Well I got the news---

Doc says no surgery! He says to let the bones fuse together in position they are in, it will fuse as one big bone/caluse and be as strong as before in 8-12 weeks.

He is an excellent surgeon and passed on mine saying the better results are to leave it be.
  8. Fireman88

Fireman88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great News! That means you'll be riding by the end of January! Because we know that you heal fast.
  9. janders

janders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! That wouldn't have been a fun recovery... If he recommends PT, by all means do it. PT has been a HUGE saviour for my ankles and the shoulder surgery I'm currently healing up from.
  10. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    no knife is good news in my book, glad to hear your surgeon made the call :thumb
    speaking of books, need any reading material?
    I have an extra copy of the mouse and the motorcycle. :lol3
  11. azdrhill

azdrhill AZ offroad rider

Oddometer:
    Skinner,
    Don't know you from Adam, but I'd like to share a personnal experience.

Washed the front on my ATK and went down hard - busted my hand and some ribs (I think - at urgent care they wouldn't even xray the ribs - "they got to heal on their own whether they are broken or not"). Since I had done ribs a few years earlier I knew that to be the case.

I ask them what they're going to do about the hand, and they say go see and orthepedic surgeon. So they send me home with a tetnus shot and that's it.

The next day I call around to find an OS and it was like pulling teeth. Finally see a guy, and he looks at the xrays and say leave it be. If the kink in the bone isn't over 45 deg. you'll lose no range of motion. So, he's the doc. - I slap a brace on it like he says.

Two years later - my daughter falls off a slide and busts her forearm bad - bone almost out, one bone in two, the other almost.. We get a grizzled old vet OS at the ER. Deals with it like a pro. Get to talking to him at a checkup, and tell him my story, and he tells me that was BS. Tells me to call him next time and he will set it right.

Anyway my point is you might want a second opinion if that doc isn't someone you really know. I feel lucky cause I have no real issues with the way it healed (it only cries a little when the weather changes). Yeah, the first doc. may have been right in the end, but given an option, I would have liked to get that bone back closer to "stock".

IMHO - Dave :beer
  12. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the advise. I have a great history with my OS, he replaced my ACL last Jan. repaired my left shoulder last June, My sons ACL a year and a half ago.

It is definately scarey to leave it as is ( broken in 5 places ) but I trust my surgeon whole heartedly. All other repairs he has done on me are flawless. I had a total ACL replacement and was back to racing hare scrambles in less than 3 months. He does the repairs for the Chi. bears etc.
    The plan is to re-xray in two weeks and then check progress, if it's ok keep going as planned, if any changes he will cut open and install a plate. He feels that I will be as strong as before, plus if I have a plate and wreck again in the future it will really tear me up!
    But hey keep the advise comming, all opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Guess I am the camp cook for the winter ride, big pots of soup and chilli will be waiting!

i
  13. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice thing about Chicago area is that you have access to top notch medical people. Sounds like you've found one.

Take care of that thing and you'll be back sooner than you think.

Friday lunch is looking good!

kfs
  14. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the getoff. Heal quick, there's bound to be roadkill that needs scalpin' at TJDDDWAAANSMIASMJNACAW.
  15. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Have knife, will skin/cook. Everybody watch for a good road kill deer on the way down. Or perhaps Chain go out and stick a nice doe for camp meat, slice it off the carcass, throw it on the grill!
  16. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I'm not a doc, did have a broken collar bone when I was itti bitti. It is not uncommon to leave the collar bone alone and let it heal on it's own. :nod

I think you risk no range of motion problems like you might have'n an ankle or wrist brake; just a potential lump that will make a good story :lol3
  17. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  18. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the get off. Hope you heal up quickly and completely.
  19. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    This thread is closed, on to good news and ride reports.

Thanks to all for the well wishes!
  20. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    :huh that sux about your shoulder!

I just dislocated my sholder skiing...must be a lake co thing.

wanna play "atv offroad fury" online?

now you can close the thread.:thumb